Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "The Assault on Taekir" is beginning in 1 day, 2 hours.

throwing out evil ranger to become an elite-only thing
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Past Balance Patch Thread Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:44 pm    Post subject: throwing out evil ranger to become an elite-only thing

I'm kicking around an idea with phostan that we offer evil werebeast rangers as a thing for the elite-badge only and thought it might be better to just continue the discussion here .

You would get different looking pets (e.g. hellhounds instead of panthers, vultures instead of falcons) and other than what they look like, it'd be the same class.

0 0 0
Dogran
Immortal

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:47 pm    Post subject:

That sounds amazing, would be cool to possibly see something like slith ranger too.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:56 pm    Post subject:

We've debuted slith ranger before, and removed it. If we do it again, I'd say we best put a decent consideration into their racials. Swallow corpse is totally useless with butcher skill, and shed skin kinda the same since you can already have pets rescue you. Also rangers is one of the classes that actually depends on kick. Slith race has no kick skill. So my question is mainly why would anyone roll a slith, versus any of the better options or useful racial. What appeal are you seeing there? Like, is it an rp thing? I dont want to end up mindlessly buffing up sliths down the road and make an op slith warrior by accident

0 0 0
Baer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:21 pm    Post subject:

Love that.

0 0 0
hamsandwich

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:05 am    Post subject:

Pets would look different to these evil rangers, would their transformation be as well? Would they transform into vultures rather than falcons?
Would you change all animals/transformations?

I guess the only reason I ask is because it sounds really cool and I'm interested. Very great idea!

0 0 0
Hondorian

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:39 am    Post subject:

honey badger
Harpy
Jackal
Lynx
Joe Exotic
Hellhound

0 0 0
Dogran
Immortal

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:51 am    Post subject:

Those ideas all sound really friggin cool. As far as Slith, I forgot about kick, that would suck, but could easily be fixed with a tail strike or something. My idea for Slith was in fact mostly RP based, but I am mainly just looking for more flavor for rangers.

If werebeast evils got their own transformations and everything that would be awesome.

0 0 0
Phostan
Immortal

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:22 am    Post subject:

Discussing this, I feel like one specific transformation bonus, equivalent to tiger stat boost, but labelled as "Abomination" would probably be appropriate. It'd be up to the player to decide what their nightmare creature would resemble. Plus the restringed pets though.
Vulture = Falcon
Hyena = Boar
Displacer Beast = Panther
Owlbear = bear

something like that maybe.

0 0 0
maeve

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:22 am    Post subject:

The elite-only shit is getting out of hand.

Everyone needs to be a part of some little circle-jerk club or buddies with immortals to play a race/class combo?

Seems kinda unwelcoming for anyone new!

1 0 0
Phostan
Immortal

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:34 am    Post subject:

Elite only is a reward for hard work and bettering yourself. The last person to receive the elite tag has come a long way over several years to get the opportunity, and he is hardly buddies with any of the immortals.

And playing some of these would be stressful for any player without a lot of experience. Alhoons are walking pinatas, and vampires, while quite strong are very hard to play effectively.

The new one we're discussing is simply an alignment change for a race which is normally good/neutral.
If this is something you feel like you want for a character, you can always roll a neutral of that class/race and try roleplaying it out and then ask for an alignment change. We're not against it, it happens.
Same with custom race restrings where someone can get their race changed from fire giant to ettin or something similar. We've done this before, when it makes sense.

0 0 0
Olyn
Immortal

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:09 am    Post subject:

Why wouldn't evil werebeast work without reskinning it? We already have evil human rangers, and their selection of pets feels perfectly fine. I wouldn't mind adding new beast types for werebeasts of all persuasions for everyone to enjoy.

0 0 0
Lorne
Immortal

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:17 am    Post subject:

I also don't understand why this is elite only?

Playing an evil werebeast ranger wouldn't be stressful for a newbie compared to an alhoon or vampire. On the contrary, Rangers are a pretty newbie friendly class with pathfinding, camouflage, pets, herb and being a warrior ontop of it.

I like the restring ideas, but don't like this being elite only.

0 0 0
Phostan
Immortal

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:41 am    Post subject:

But wait, there's more!

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:59 am    Post subject:

Yeah you guys didnt know some key facts. This particular race/class is going to be permanently afflicted with the curse of the witch wood (newbies: plese see the "Curse of Acadia" helpfile). That was going to be the RP reason why it gets different looking summons, and the curse is so hefty that the player would be playing with significant handicap. Plus vulns. This isn't something you'd roll without wanting a handicap. Its the worse curse in the game, hands down. Thats why it is for elite.

0 0 0
Bladefury

BANNED

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:27 am    Post subject:

Meh I thought the curse played little to no effect in my fight with druids
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

0 0 0
Bladefury

BANNED

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:28 am    Post subject:

All around ranger remake sounds cool I think it should be open to public not just elite tho get people a little more excited by throwing them a bone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

0 0 0
Lorne
Immortal

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:28 am    Post subject:

Well god damn, way to exclude the most important facts.

0 0 0
Baer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:48 am    Post subject:

OOF! *love* it

0 0 0
Faelon
Emissary

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:24 am    Post subject:

Could just make them undead werebeasts, evil only. Spawned out of the witchwood, cursed and so on. Adds the undead vulnerability, making it a bit more on par with the alhoon/vampire being for elites. Rebrand of animals/shape shifting could be then related to that.

0 0 0
hamsandwich

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:14 am    Post subject:

Are they going to get buffs and such? I mean I'm not elite and have no idea of specifics of vampires, and know basically nothing about alhoons, but it seems like there's neat little perks to playing as them other than being prestigious and whatnot.

Will an evil/undead (the undead is a cool idea and fits well with the theme like Faelon said) werebeast get anything nice little perks to go along with the huge negative curse? Or just being dope as hell looking and unique?

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Past Balance Patch Thread Discussions All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: