Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "The Assault on Taekir" is beginning in 1 day, 11 hours.

Training for Spellcast/Invoker

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cephirus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:35 pm    Post subject: Training for Spellcast/Invoker

I did some searching and learned about the importance of discovering secrets as it relates to training. However, I was hoping to find some guidance on training as it relates to spellcasters and in my specific case, Invokers.

Some questions I am hoping to have answered are:

1. When should I go and train my defensive skills? Some defensive skills (shield block) isn't available until mid-30s and having to wait until then seems inadvisable to delay parry and weapons, but I'll defer to those with more knowledge/experience.

2. As a new player, how many secrets should I aim for before starting my training? I know this will be subjective, but am just looking for some guidance. It seems that many secrets will be in areas that I would need to be higher level to accomplish anyways.

3. Where should I train? Based upon the guide created here it seems like the gnome village is the spot and using a scarecrow (purchasable from the juggernaut?) is the way to go. What about for spells, is there a mob we can target with spells that won't be damaged/is immune?

0 0 0
Olyn
Immortal

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:08 pm    Post subject:

1. Train your defense as soon as you get it. If it's something you get at low level, maybe wait until 15 or so. The only exception is a dual parry class I would consider waiting on dodge but not really necessary anymore.

2. I would find what you can in the easy access areas and check out Ming in Timaran for cards with hints on them. I wouldn't delay for this reason, though. It's a small boost.

3. Gnome village with scarecrow for defenses. Gather up the hobgoblin soldiers and the prisoners and go nuts. To train anything else you want to spam at a scarecrow, you can use any scarecrow location.

1 0 0
Mikoos

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:18 pm    Post subject:

Play however you want too, train whenever you want too. Most start training at twenty five though.

As far as for number of secrets 20-30. Doesn’t really matter, greater than zero. Buy a training boost.

Spells take a little more effort. I like to spam myself with maledictives or dispel magic. Outside of scarecrows there aren’t really any immune mobs. You can make a script to run through an area and spam magic missle or whatever.

Sounds like your enjoying your time and putting thought into what you’re doing. Having a routine is good for training. And most importantly do everything in moderation or you will feel crazy frustrated and set yourself up for a bad time.

0 0 0
Baer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:53 pm    Post subject:

Wait, does hitting yourself with your own mals/dispels not reduce your skill anymore? GAME CHANGER

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:55 pm    Post subject:

Grouping with people and learning from their techniques is a decent option for the more social, although watch the other players dont catch you afk.

I've seen shamans molesting the sleeping ocelot in the miden'nir. its not one to overlook. It might be dangerous at the wrong level / timeof day.

As for the secrets, keep in mind they are uniquely account-bound. What that means if you "verify account" you won't have to do them all again on your next character. This means could in theory (if you want) just rank up a separate, less highly-trained character to do secrets with, and the lowbie would share the benefit.

Maybe you could build a lair and train in that.

0 0 0
Baer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:29 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, grouping up and learning from technique is great. I took hand to hand from like 28 to 98 just from that.

0 0 0
Cephirus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:02 am    Post subject:

Davairus wrote:
Grouping with people and learning from their techniques is a decent option for the more social, although watch the other players dont catch you afk.

I've seen shamans molesting the sleeping ocelot in the miden'nir. its not one to overlook. It might be dangerous at the wrong level / timeof day.

As for the secrets, keep in mind they are uniquely account-bound. What that means if you "verify account" you won't have to do them all again on your next character. This means could in theory (if you want) just rank up a separate, less highly-trained character to do secrets with, and the lowbie would share the benefit.

Maybe you could build a lair and train in that.

Lairs? Gonna have to check that out.

I appreciate all the advice and have follow-up questions:

1. Mikoos mentioned purchasing a training boost. Is this from the juggernaut or some other I will trade in tokens for?

2. I understand that sleeping bags, etc. can add bonuses to recovery (hp, mana, move), but are there also other areas, maybe lairs, that also have increased recovery? (I did ask this question in Newbie chat, but lost the responses.)

3. Davairus mentioned a less highly-trained character, I would love a couple examples. Giant warrior maybe?

Last edited by Cephirus on Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:50 pm; edited 2 times in total

0 0 0
hamsandwich

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:05 am    Post subject:

1. yes training boosts can be bought from the Juggernaut. They do not stack with any other rewards. They will show up in your affects as a quest reward. It increases the rate at which skills increase only, no exp boost. There's 3 options in the shop, only difference is duration.

2. As far as I know there is no area or room that affects healing. Unless you're a monk.

3. It could be any character at all really, not a specific race/class combo or anything, just a character that you're less worried about needing stuff mastered. For example, someone you roll up and play passively and don't intend to pk with probably doesn't need mastered skills cause it isn't going to make any lick of difference. Whereas your character you've rolled up to be bred into an elite rared out the ass pk machine mort leader of Legion probably needs to master his shit.

0 0 0
BlackWidow

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:30 pm    Post subject:

If you have pass door (even if this means summoning the swirling mists), the travelers in Demea are a solid option for training spells which do not cause direct damage, e.g. blindness, curse, faerie fire, dispel magic, etc.

The sleeping bear in the Mystic Forest is also an option, albeit perhaps too close to Seringale.

0 0 0
Dogran
Immortal

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:31 pm    Post subject:

I believe the travelers may be awake now. Someone told me they went to train and almost died haha

Last edited by Dogran on Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

0 0 0
Cephirus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:14 pm    Post subject:

Nadrin wrote:
I believe the travelers may be awake now. Someone told me they went to train amd almost died haha

Travelers?

Also, what am I doing wrong with the code for linking a quote? Above is the exact syntax...

(Edited by Nadrin to fix your quote)

0 0 0
Dogran
Immortal

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:31 pm    Post subject:

Nadrin wrote:
You forgot the "" before and after my name so "Nadrin" is the only thing you need to change

Anyway, Travelers are a mob in Demea Bay that are constantly sleeping. It was the go-to place to train non-damaging spells.

0 0 0
Cephirus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:50 pm    Post subject:

Excellent. Thank you!

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Newbie Q/A All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: