Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "The Assault on Taekir" is beginning in 1 day, 16 hours.

Sleeping while flying

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yNgFrE

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:22 pm    Post subject: Sleeping while flying

'Ello all,

I was thinking about this during my skirmishes, 'n it makes sense to me that avians and other races who can "land" and "fly" find it difficult to sleep while airborne.

It never has made sense to me that flying persons can just sleep or sleep in things. It does make sense to me that these races should have to land first to sleep.

The fly spell in general could prohibit sleep, making it a tactical decision for communers and their use of the cancellation spell, and even those who decide to recite flight scrolls or quaff potions that grant flight. You would have to be smart about when/where you use flight especially if you don't have access to the cancellation spell. I see this as not so crippling to avians, but could be a disadvantage to everyone else relying on flight. Probably not much of an issue, but was just trying to add some realism. In a fantasy setting...

I thought of avians specifically because of their wings. I don't think Quasits have the option to land and fly, and pixies use pixie dust because their wings don't actually grant them flight.
Thoughts?

0 0 0
Mikoos

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:18 pm    Post subject:

It’d be cool to buy floating beds. Makes me wonder if the one in the tower has the flying tag.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:28 pm    Post subject:

I always wanted a magic carpet. We could fly around together on it Yngfre. It'd be a whole new world....

3 0 0
Baer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:17 pm    Post subject:

A new fantastic place to loot.

1 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:59 pm    Post subject:

No one to tell us no, or where to go, or say we're only vulturing

1 0 0
Lorne
Immortal

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:20 am    Post subject:

I like this idea. Can't just have free flight.

0 1
boo,
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:57 pm    Post subject:

actually fly scroll is like 500g a minute. its just part of what got fucked up by all the gold exploits ive been fixing

merlandox: dont you have a thief? or were you playing the "kills in one command input" version

0 0 0
Ceridwel
Immortal

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:37 pm    Post subject:

If I am an avian flying along and I get a little sleepy and decide I need a nap. I’m not gonna land first and then sleep. I’m going to land and sleep in one action. However when I wake up, I will by default be standing on my own 2 feet, and therefore will need to issue the fly command again after waking up. In other words if we’re going to implement this I’d like to see flying to sleep stay the same but after waking up you have to type fly again in order to be flying again. Or make it like when somebody on a mount types sleep before dismounting. If you’re flying and you type sleep before landing, you take a little damage or have some kind of lag.

1 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:13 pm    Post subject:

So what's the point of this exactly? I mean, I'm not sure what the gameplay issue with fly is. Is it the movement costs? If so, then I don't see how this does anything about it. It seems to just create annoyance and frustration. Having to type a command when you wake up. People will set triggers.
We need a clearer goal here. I mean you can't just say "It doesnt make sense" in a realm where someone can land a perfect dirt kick into your eye 7 times out of 10. Everyones the Ronaldino of dirt kicking. They're practically bicycle kicking it into your eyeballs from 10 feet away. So are we supposed to nerf dirt kicking? One person will like a 2% chance of dirt kick (probably a paladin), and the rest will say this isnt for them. Guess what, being flying actually nerfs dirt kicking. A lot. Does it need nerfing more?

0 0 0
hamsandwich

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:26 pm    Post subject:

I think it just kind of prevents the perma fly scenario you run in to with a lot of caster classes. Making them sacrifice fly casting or scrolls or potions or whatever, in order to sleep, just makes them have to weigh and balance their consumables just like all the noncaster classes and the damn purple potions. (easily using 20+ purples in one fight against a caster who just dispels and/or flies around until it drops). Just to level that playing field a little? I don't know that it is strictly necessary, but it is a decent idea that does deserve consideration.

As far as avians go, they don't have to waste consumables/mana but they do suffer a little bit of lag when they type "fly" so it adds that weakness I guess. Other than that same as above.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:46 pm    Post subject:

Man, the cost of a fly scroll is no joke. Its a terrible price. That isn't right to call that perma-fly. If you are doing any sort of group combat, trying to keep your whole group flying is a ridiculous amount of gold. Also, did you try the new small defender potions from Ming in Timaran yet

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: