Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "The Assault on Taekir" is beginning in 1 day, 4 hours.

Should Keepers exist?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kalist19
Emissary

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:31 am    Post subject: Should Keepers exist?

In the current day of AR, what is the purpose of Keepers and do they add to the fun of AR or detract from it?

I have so much fun playing this game and I try to have experiences with other people that help them have fun too. Very rarely, since the inception of Keepers, have I ever had an experience with them that was fun.

I've been saying for quite a while now that keepers look like a 'troll' cabal because they are simply designed to detract from the fun of others.

Ultimately when Keepers were brought in, I think it was around the time that Warlords were removed. Some powers were juggled around and Keepers took the place of the 'neutral' cabal in their absence. I think Warlords fit the role of 'neutral' cabal way better than Keepers and Warlords are infinitely more fun to play, but more importantly, they are more fun to interact with.

I'm not saying we should burn the Keeper cabal down. I'm sure an immense amount of work has gone into building it and working on it over the years. Maybe we could shelf it for a little bit though, and let the warlord cabal fill the role of the 'neutral' cabal. I think this would improve the enjoyment of every person who is not a keeper.

Negatives of Keepers:

-Keepers are anti-fun to everybody except keepers. They are designed to sacrifice rares/uinques (that take time and effort to get - being full looted is not fun, especially when you don't have a chance to kill the guy for your things back).

-They absolutely neuter Knights. Oh you're a paladin/healer Knight that's doing well? Don't get too comfortable.. some neutral is going to come wipe the floor with you pretty soon.

-They don't have as much to risk as other cabal members. Sure there's a cabal ground but if you die and lose your gear, you just go keeper up some more. Cabal powers might help even the score here - can't get into any details.

-Players who make Keepers could have otherwise made a different cabal character. Is it better to have 5 small cabals or 4 bigger cabals, membership wise? I think 2v2, 2v3, 3v3, etc fights are a ton of fun. You're more likely to get these with fewer cabals that have more members.

-Keeper equipment can be better than rares and there is no minimum time requirement to keep it. Whip up a quick suit and jump into top 5 pk. (note there may be future changes to rare time requirements - thanks Davairus)

-What happens when keepers are the most dominant cabal? What happens when a keeper is the top pker? Does the rest of the cabal turn on them? Do they throw themselves off of a cliff to restore balance? Or do they just keep killing people, saccing rares and decreasing enjoyment of others? The only thing I know for sure that happens when keeper is the dominant cabal is that there are a ton of people having less fun...

-Going into a fight with a keeper is very disheartening when you know you are the one with everything to lose and nothing to gain. If the keeper kills me, I lose all my gear. If I kill the keeper, I cannot loot his gear. This is very anti-fun.

*Note - I don't have a character that recently got killed/looted by a keeper - this is just something I've been wanting to post for a while.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:03 am    Post subject:

Facepalm.

edit: We were already talking about making it possible to sac keeper gear for cabal currencies.

0 0 0
Erlwith

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:29 am    Post subject:

-Keepers are anti-fun to everybody except keepers. They are designed to sacrifice rares/uinques (that take time and effort to get - being full looted is not fun, especially when you don't have a chance to kill the guy for your things back).

I have enjoyed fighting Keepers and winning fights as an extremely decked healer.

-They absolutely neuter Knights. Oh you're a paladin/healer Knight that's doing well? Don't get too comfortable.. some neutral is going to come wipe the floor with you pretty soon.

See above. I had no problem as a human healer. If you have enough eq to be a target to Keepers, you aren't some gimpy healer. I mean unless all your rares are hp or something.

-They don't have as much to risk as other cabal members. Sure there's a cabal ground but if you die and lose your gear, you just go keeper up some more. Cabal powers might help even the score here - can't get into any details.

Does their armor come free? If so they should have to work and put effort to get it. When I had Keepers, the armor was not free and the best armor was not easily obtainable.

-Players who make Keepers could have otherwise made a different cabal character. Is it better to have 5 small cabals or 4 bigger cabals, membership wise? I think 2v2, 2v3, 3v3, etc fights are a ton of fun. You're more likely to get these with fewer cabals that have more members.

Someone who makes a Keeper may do it specifically because they don't have to worry about rares. So removing this cabal doesn't guarantee these players will move onto other cabals.

-Keeper equipment can be better than rares and there is no minimum time requirement to keep it. Whip up a quick suit and jump into top 5 pk. (note there may be future changes to rare time requirements - thanks Davairus)

So if there is a cabal you can get rare quality or better items, with no time restraints this seems like the perfect cabal for people with time restraints and kinda seems like it mitigates the rare timer issue.

-What happens when keepers are the most dominant cabal? What happens when a keeper is the top pker? Does the rest of the cabal turn on them? Do they throw themselves off of a cliff to restore balance? Or do they just keep killing people, saccing rares and decreasing enjoyment of others? The only thing I know for sure that happens when keeper is the dominant cabal is that there are a ton of people having less fun...

These generalizations and extremes don't take into account the amount of people that can now have fun, because there will be items available to work together and collect. I'm glad Keepers exist.

-Going into a fight with a keeper is very disheartening when you know you are the one with everything to lose and nothing to gain. If the keeper kills me, I lose all my gear. If I kill the keeper, I cannot loot his gear. This is very anti-fun.

This does make sense, but is not a reason to close the cabal imo.

0 0 0
jaran
Immortal

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:47 am    Post subject:

'-Going into a fight with a keeper is very disheartening when you know you are the one with everything to lose and nothing to gain. If the keeper kills me, I lose all my gear. If I kill the keeper, I cannot loot his gear. This is very anti-fun.

This does make sense, but is not a reason to close the cabal imo'

This is a massive issue and the core of what Kalist is talking about. I agree with him but i don't know what the answer is. There is an imbalance in risk/reward.

0 0 0
Merlandox

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:51 am    Post subject:

haha. I was laughing so hard when I read this post.

http://abandonedrealms.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12906

^^ read this post. Replace Thief with Keeper.

In summary, the keeper is "actually a folk hero" (replaced thief with keeper).

They full loot and sacrifice your gear. Kalist, you're the only one not having fun, the keepers are heroes, so don't be a sour grape and complain about keepers. Oh btw, another keeper just rolled up from your post. Man.... Continue crowing..

Bladefurry is laughing at you Kalist.

"I cant even tell you how many fucking times I had to regain the titanium earring because it was blackjacked and taken. Stfu bro go get the shit again and dunk they ass."

So.. If a keeper kills you, just stfu and go gain your full eq again as blade says. What's the issue bro? They are the folk hero LEGENDS doing it. They balance the realms of rares, the solution to high rating PK with pimp eq.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:04 am    Post subject:

Exactly, was just thinking what I am gonna roll for my Keeper ; Keeper illusionist sounds super awesome. Not like youd have a point when complaining about killing me isnt worth it. Not gonna happen anyway. My killing streak would be LEGENDARY. Also, he's inadvertently promoting Keepers.

Last edited by Davairus on Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:07 am; edited 1 time in total

0 0 0
Merlandox

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:06 am    Post subject:

Keeper illusionist sucks, i will recommend you try something else. But I'm just crowing. You can go roll one and experience if for yourself. Who knows? You can become the folk hero everyone's talking about.

Last edited by Merlandox on Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:08 am; edited 1 time in total

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:07 am    Post subject:

Indeed. LEGENDARY.

0 0 0
Erlwith

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:28 pm    Post subject:

My bard will write a song about him.

0 0 0
Vhrael
Immortal

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:39 pm    Post subject:

KLM - Keepers Lives Matter

0 1
boo,
Kato

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:48 pm    Post subject:

This is a poop idea I'm flinging at the wall to see if it sticks.

What if rares of a certain rarity tier (stuff you'd usually need to put a group together to get, like Sheundan drops, Xanthak, Order, chaos dragon + solace gear, etc, as well as uniques) couldn't be sacrificed at all? Rares are fun, let's have them stay in circulation, only poofing with purges.

Does the Keeper vault still exist? That could be a trove of everything keepers have sacrificed since the last purge, and you should get a way to access a few items from it either by invading or killing a keeper. Keepers should get zapped by items of this tier entirely, instead getting an ability to summon a little squire dude that takes some items (fewer than ten, for sure, and scaling with how much of a pimp suit someone had) to the vault.

As a softer alternative, maybe it should be possible to sacrifice these items, but with a long (1h-ish) player cooldown.

I realize there are probably a bunch of consequences here, like no-sac rares probably gravitating toward lowbie vultures when someone is trying to loot a corpse.

1 0 0
Ozaru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:03 pm    Post subject:

Lets call this rant what it really is. Should bitches be allowed to join cabals?

A lot of you here know each other and use that to your advantage. You don't join separate cabals, you make characters to help each other. Multiple people here have been called out for Obvious OOC. I won't name any names but in my time as a Keeper, I would full loot someone and boom they have all the same shit within 2 days. Do you know how long it took me to gamble my shit, 2 weeks lol.

If you want to see a use for keepers then stop ducking fights, stop guardian sitting, stop only playing with your OOC friends on the same side.

Keepers doesn't have a place because you guys don't want to fight someone who can't get titanium tenor or torements of hell by themselves. You want to hoard the rares and then sit pretty without someone able to take it from you.

If you are decked in winter gear how the fuck am I supposed to fight you in what living wood? This shit is a joke.

In my history as a keeper I have killed some of the top pkers on the leader board, did I steam roll them, fuck no. But why is it fair that you can call up 3 of your friends and clear winter, when I don't go ooc and use a cabal designed to combat that to spread rares to everyone since I can sacrifice them and keep the game fun for everyone not just you and you bitchass hunting party.

1 0 0
Kalist19
Emissary

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:18 pm    Post subject:

Ozaru I have done zero of the things you just listed (duck fights, ooc, know who other people play, clear winter etc). So, no, that is not “exactly what this is”.

0 0 0
Ozaru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:23 pm    Post subject:

Who said I was talking about you? And if you haven't played a Keeper then you really don't know how hard it is to play one. So if you have done none of tthose things basically saying you don't get rares. Why are you talking about removing a cabal that has 0 impact on your play.

0 0 0
Stiehl26

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:51 pm    Post subject:

Some valid points Ozaru.

0 0 0
Kalist19
Emissary

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:58 pm    Post subject:

Sounds like you are talking about me since you are complaining about the original post and I’m the original poster.

So since I don’t ooc or go to winter I’m not allowed or able to get rares? Some of us can get rares the old fashioned way - killing people and taking them.

I had a keeper a long time ago (char still alive). I quit playing it because a lot of the points I’ve listed above.

0 0 0
hamsandwich

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:15 pm    Post subject:

I think there needs to be more transparency with how the Keeper Vault works. Most of us know it exists but what's the deal with it?
Every rare a Keeper sac's goes to the Vault, NOT back in to circulation? If this is the case then Keepers are the ULTIMATE hoarders. They aren't preventing it, or moving items into circulation, they're literally doing the opposite of that.
You can go kill the vault keeper sure. But it isn't fast and easy. You piss off a cabal by doing it. And you get ONE random item at a time, which normally is some piece of shit swiftbird sword.

If I'm wrong here and when the sac rares they don't go to the vault, they go back to the original mob (after a reset or whatever that's fine) then that's okay, they're working as intended: moving rares into circulation. But what is the Vault for then?

0 0 0
Dogran
Immortal

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:55 pm    Post subject:

There are a few more things involved here. Keeper kills you, sacs your items, they go to the vault. You kill keeper, loot them, and when they rekit their rekitting forces items out of the vault into circulation. Its a viscous cycle.

0 1
boo,
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:44 pm    Post subject:

All that deleting Keepers will do is cause people to do what they wanted to do more passively via leveraging separate characters (e.g. roll a thief to rob from one side, an invoker to give enchanted water cubes to the other, and a shaman Justice to hoard).

0 0 0
Olyn
Immortal

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:18 am    Post subject:

Let's make a dead keeper spit out vault rares like a pinata. Everybody wins.

2 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: