Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "The Assault on Taekir" is beginning in 11 hours, 49 mins.

How did you find out about AR?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kalist19
Emissary

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:09 pm    Post subject: How did you find out about AR?

It’d be fun to know how everybody came here. I’m particularly interested in how new players found out about AR! Thanks for sharing your story, it will help us figure out how to best use our resources to recruit more players 😃

I started in high school when Phostan kept telling me to try it out. He kept bugging me until I gave it a shot and I’m glad he did!

0 0 0
BlackWidow

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:39 pm    Post subject:

I've said this at least once... CF was down briefly because somebody forgot to pay for server maintenance in January of 2010, I was searching for a new MUD from some site (I forget which, it had a bunch of options including non-RP muds), and AR just happened to be similar enough once I finally tried it out that I stayed here. The Wolfpaw affiliation threw me off for a bit because I did not think any of the MUDs that kept showing up along the left side were any good.

0 0 0
Olyn
Immortal

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:22 pm    Post subject:

My first semester of college, a guy told me he played a game on the internet that was like D&D but all text like Zork and that there was dozens of people all on playing together. I didn't believe him.

0 0 0
Dogran
Immortal

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:53 am    Post subject:

Was in college about 15 years ago, and one of my classmates told me about it. He talked about rangers and a bunch of stuff. I was bored, between games so I checked it out.

0 0 0
Bladefury

BANNED

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:01 pm    Post subject:

My dad played this game when he was in college and when I was like 11 he started teaching me how to play. This was back when the academy was all north and south besides that basement room lol
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

0 0 0
Baer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:25 pm    Post subject:

Oh good lord, uh...a bunch of my D&D group played, we even had an imm!

0 0 0
Rothak

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:46 am    Post subject:

I was friends with Matrix's brother back in school and he showed me the game.

0 0 0
Ceridwel
Immortal

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:39 am    Post subject:

A guy I worked with back in '95 introduced me to a local BBS mud in Vancouver, BC called "Majic Realm". The company that ran it, Ice Online, was bought out by or had some kind of business dispute with EA Games and their assets got frozen or some other business bullshit and basically the server running the game was put in a box in storage. Resatimm also played and somehow found his way to AR when MR went down, then he suggested I join the party. My wife thanks you, Res.

0 0 0
Faelon
Emissary

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:07 pm    Post subject:

I was around 12ishsh years old and one of my older brothers had showed me a different mud, and I played that one for a while. A year or two later, I was looking for a new mud and started with A, in the mud connector or some other mud listing website. Abandoned Realms sounded cooler to my hormone addled brain, then the others.

I'm now 36, soon to be 37.

Fml.

(Edit) to share this pain, I showed my younger brother (Mullet), and he started playing a few years after I did. Of the two of us, I'm the most addicted it would seem, he hasn't made an appearance in years.

1 0 0
Vhrael
Immortal

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:44 pm    Post subject:

@Faelon: you should tell your brother to come pay a visit. He at least had a gambling game device named after him (Whack-a-Mullet), lol.

0 0 0
Ceridwel
Immortal

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:53 am    Post subject:

Wait, I thought Mullet was one of m1co's personas?

0 0 0
Mr. Forgotten

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:11 am    Post subject:

2001 I was playing this game called Vagabond's Quest. It went offline so I decided to find other D&D esque games. AR came up and I've been here since.

0 0 0
Rothak

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:18 am    Post subject:

Damn, someone else played Vagabond's Quest? I played that prior to being introduced to AR.

0 0 0
Mr. Forgotten

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:02 am    Post subject:

Yeah, one of my friends introduced me to it and I had a lot of fun with it, but not long after I started it, it went offline so I had to find some other game that was like it.

0 0 0
Kornhole

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:50 pm    Post subject:

I was playing some dial up BBS, then crossroads of the elements, then a friend in high school was playing AR during keyboarding class, and I have never been the same.

0 0 0
Bladefury

BANNED

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:53 pm    Post subject:

Ita funny cause my generation grew up playing ps1 ps2 Xbox blah blah blah so when I would play this game in school cause our school would block all other games people thought I was hacking lol
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

0 0 0
Vevier
Immortal

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:59 pm    Post subject:

Playing AR during a keyboarding class seems like a better way to learn than paying attention.

0 0 0
kento
Emissary

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:35 pm    Post subject:

One of my best friends in grade school discovered MUDs when we were 10 or 11 and we started out playing a ./Hack MUD that I am sure no longer exists had all these different portals you could go through, then he discovered AR. I remember playing exclusively on Telnet for years, often from school, before getting GMUD. Then playing with my shitty AOL dial up, and then due to some cheaters all AOL IPs getting banned which was utterly depressing.

0 0 0
Faelon
Emissary

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:05 am    Post subject:

@vhrael

I've tried; he's way more into League right now. I think he knows if he comes back down this rabbit hole he is going to end up divorced before he even says his vows.

Also, from what Davo has said, the whack-a-mullet game led straight into the Mantis Kick's too. Haha.

@ceridwel

Nah, that's always been my younger brother. Back in the day he was way more of a hot head, prone to saying some shit that was M1co esque.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Newbie Q/A All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: