Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "The Assault on Taekir" is beginning in 1 day, 12 hours.

Customizable Warcy
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Past Balance Patch Thread Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would you like to see customized attack yells and warcries as long as there was oversight to prevent trolling?
Yes
84%
 84%  [ 16 ]
No
15%
 15%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 19

Dogran
Immortal

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:17 am    Post subject: Customizable Warcy

So I am sure I am not the first person to think of this. How annoying is it to be playing a mute character and not being able to use your warcry? Or playing a dumb character that doesn't speak well and having an impeccable warcry? What do you guys think?

At Davs suggestion, I have added a poll. Yes I know he was being sarcastic...

Last edited by Dogran on Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

0 0 1
Mr. Forgotten

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:47 am    Post subject:

Sounds pretty reasonable to me.

0 0 0
hamsandwich

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:53 am    Post subject:

I'm curious to hear why it hasn't been implemented before, because I think you're right Nadrin, can't be the first time the ideas been had

0 0 0
Kedaleam
Immortal

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:55 am    Post subject:

If you are a "mute" character, dont practice warcry.

Honestly, it sounds like you want to be the exception. Why should you get the benefit?

0 0 0
Mr. Forgotten

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:07 am    Post subject:

What about stupid characters? Or characters with an accent. Or, get this, characters that have a bad grasp of common? Having a customizable warcry means a better chance for having rp. Granted, you have semi-custom warcries already available through cabals and religions, this seems like extra flavor; and I'm all for that.

0 0 0
Kedaleam
Immortal

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:51 am    Post subject:

Sounds like a stupid character shouldn't be able to grasp the concept of a WARCRY then.

0 0 0
Mr. Forgotten

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:48 am    Post subject:

So...It seems like you're firmly against the idea. Is that right? Because you haven't addressed accents or even being able to do this in a fictional, rp-based, language.

0 0 0
Vanisse
Immortal

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:14 am    Post subject:

I don’t see why we couldn’t have this as an option (some custom warcries have been granted for exceptional rp before). It could go through a background screening via imm or scholar, like custom races so you don’t wind up with someone yelling I LOVE CHEEEEEESE! as they run into battle.

0 0 0
Bladefury

BANNED

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:57 am    Post subject:

Lmaoooo! Mines gonna be "HAND CRANK DILDOS FOR EVERYONE!!!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

0 0 0
Kalist19
Emissary

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:23 pm    Post subject:

Stupid character can’t grasp the concept of a warcry? Raaaaaaaaaaaaaaauuuuuuugh!!!!!!!!!!!

I like this idea a lot for chars with accents. It’s a bit weird to see someone talking one way (like a dumb giant) and then yell a warcry in perfect English. Their grammar improves when their adrenaline is up? Confused

0 0 0
Ceridwel
Immortal

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:21 pm    Post subject:

I like this idea providing the actual cry text gets imm/mystic-reviewed like descriptions and custom races, and that there is a base format requirement that all warcries stick to. By this I mean, you can't change it to "Imma gonna fuck you up bizatches!" or "Feel my dildo" or whatever Bladefury wanted it... has to stick to the format of:

XXXX of XXXX, grant me XXXX to XXXX the XXXXX

And we'd have a few variations of the allowable base format, like we do today depending on what class/alignment you are. This would allow folks to add lisps (remember Fynth?), accents, or indicators of low IQ. I would have loved to see Xaltor with a custom warcry!

0 0 0
Kalist19
Emissary

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:37 pm    Post subject:

Totally agree with everything Ceridwel said!

0 0 0
Dogran
Immortal

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:45 pm    Post subject:

Me too, but make it specific. Promise Character denies over abuse. You abuse it, you lose the character, doesn't matter how much hard work you have put into it. I don't want something that is going to add a bunch of extra time to the Imm's already full plate, but I am not going to lose +6 to hit and the saves bonus just because my character is mute.

0 0 0
Vanisse
Immortal

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:13 pm    Post subject:

But, if you can't make any sounds at all, how are you supposed to shout a warcry? I think if you are really going for consistent RP but aren't willing to sacrifice skills for it, design the character in a way that you don't hamstring yourself. Making a mute person warcry is counterintuitive so don't create a mute character if taking warcry off the table is not for you.
If your can't vocalize real words but can make noises, that's a different case, custom warcry could handle this.

1 0 0
Vevier
Immortal

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:16 pm    Post subject:

I waited until no one was in the area, then did my warcry. Stealth yells.

The same flaw in logic happens for any yell though, including being attacked by people. Is that the next request if this one is granted? Where does it end?

I also remember oversight being difficult when we had a coin that you could exchange for a custom title. I would much rather see this done with a note to imm backed by good rp than a standard option we need to approve for every new character.

0 0 0
Kalist19
Emissary

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:29 pm    Post subject:

This scenario would probably come up infrequent enough that a case by case note immortal/individualized change would work well. Nip the “inappropriate yells” thing right in the bud. Good idea Vevier. Could basically mix your idea with Ceridwel’s idea and make a great “customized warcry” application baby...Er..process..

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:40 pm    Post subject:

You shoulda made this a poll so we could've all voted on how stupid mute warcry idea is

1 0 0
Dogran
Immortal

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:05 pm    Post subject:

Added... lolz

0 0 0
Ceridwel
Immortal

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:49 pm    Post subject:

A reminder that the next patch after the one about to drop is the annual "Wish List" patch. This is a perfect submission for it.

0 0 0
Faelon
Emissary

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:40 am    Post subject:

Some of the responses to this crack me up:

[quote]If you are a "mute" character, dont practice warcry.

Honestly, it sounds like you want to be the exception. Why should you get the benefit?[/quote]

So, he noticed a flaw because he was playing, but obviously it was just something he wanted for himself. Do you think he was going to suddenly get inspiration for something he was not even looking at, using or otherwise noticed through personal experience?

[quote] Is that the next request if this one is granted? Where does it end?[/quote]

Err, when the game becomes so badass it implodes? Seriously though, that same line of reasoning could apply to anything and the fighting mechanics from the first age to now is a good example. If the game had stayed on the "Improve a thing, then other things will have to be improved too," path, we would still be where we were as a game twenty years ago. Besides, how many yells are there? With the application, you have to submit each yell for approval. If one doesn't make the cut, none of them do until the issue is resolved.

I think the idea has a lot of merit, especially considering I've played a few accented characters in my time and the idea of my accent changing without my consent is a bit silly.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Past Balance Patch Thread Discussions All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: