Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "The Assault on Taekir" is beginning in 1 day, 3 hours.

Expansion of Strife

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xerties

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:41 am    Post subject: Expansion of Strife

I've been thinking, we've got a pretty good influx of newbs lately thanks to Kalist's advertising bonanza and reddit posts. Unfortunately, we don't have the vet population required to help bring these guys up to speed in PK. So wouldn't it be nice if we could have an organization in game to help with that?

A few months ago we saw the intro of Strife as a sort of dueling coterie, but it really hasn't gone anywhere beyond punching bags for Warlords. I think we should expand Strife's mission to include teaching PK to anyone who wants to learn. Warlords could still be the leaders, but it could be more of a formal relationship. Maybe they could earn medals or something by getting apprentices through challenges that teach different combat mechanics. We could add some quest lines too for Strifers to work through and learn if there's no Warlords around to help.

What do you guys think?

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:33 am    Post subject:

Knights/squires is a pretty strong mentoring program that we are fucking up somehow. Why doesnt it work? Because its not good enough. So lets make it better. e.g. Knights able to "oversee" their squires and vica versa (thats currently just a Herald power). I'm pretty sure Serra picked up a lot of tricks by spectating over Lumubella. There's sort of a two-way learning from each other effect that goes on that way , and a more intimate sort of relationship develops in-game. It makes sense to me to make that a general Knights tool that allows good aligns an extra dimension to co-operate.

I also think that'll work better than have someone disinterested (no offense but Strife characters are neutral, some times evil aligned jackoffs) just try to spoonfeed tips to you which you wont remember because it was never put into practice and knowing they are YOLO'ing anyway. They aren't taking things seriously which is fine. I just dont see how those guys would give much fucks about teaching the fine points given that history shows they clearly don't care about them.

0 0 0
Xerties

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:02 pm    Post subject:

I agree that the squire system is a good start. The only thing that's getting fucked up about it is not enough Knights to bring up squires. And it's limited to good-aligneds that want to be in a formal cabal.

Strife is more open-ended. There's just no motivation to do anything in it right now. You pay your medals and...that's it. There's no goals, no progression. If we added some more depth to it, it might attract a different crowd.

0 0 0
BlackWidow

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:19 pm    Post subject:

One of the problems with the Warlords and Strife in general (particularly the Warlords)... Good-aligned characters don't really fit in too well, particularly within the Warlords. Although the Warlord cabal is a decent way to learn how to fight (typically 1v1) as a physical class without having to worry so much about consumables, it's not as easy to justify a good-aligned Warlord as it is to make them a Knight, or go with a neutral or evil Warlord instead. Yes, it can be done and has been done, but let's face it. Most good-aligned deities are not as focused on fighting for the sake of fighting, and even if you go with a good-aligned character pledged to Diocletian/Lorne, most of the time you might as well play a neutral character instead (main exception being if you really WANT to play a purely good-align race, particularly storm giants.)

0 0 0
Xerties

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:22 pm    Post subject:

I think that's exactly why Strife would be such a good fit for teaching newbs to fight. They can roll up neut/neut to avoid the baked in drama of good/evil and duel everyone. And anybody who's not neut can give aid without feeling weird. But, if you really want to play a Drow or whatever you still can and get most of the same guidance. Especially if they did some quest lines, kinda like catching the Bard in the Academy.

0 0 0
twerpalina

BANNED

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:33 pm    Post subject:

Davairus once mentioned an idea of making a "spar" command, similar to duel/challenge but it would not show up on records. I suppose its always to stun also.

Would be great to practice and test stuff out.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:58 pm    Post subject:

The reality is that the people joining strife arent looking for responsibilities. they are kinda old gunfighter mindset looking for one more duel. This fits and belongs on Knights
I am indeed working on a spar command

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: