Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "The Assault on Taekir" is beginning in 1 day, 10 hours.

Davids vs Goliaths
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Past Balance Patch Thread Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:47 am    Post subject:

So in this thread, it appears someone has rolled neutral and ran into weapon selection problems, because the weapons he is looking for - the deadliest weapons that inflict suffering via vulns / unholy magic - are on reserve for evils. Then blamed this on weapon weight.

Here's the thing - we don't encourage neutrals to be assholes, by giving them access to the best unholy / vuln hitting weapons. Or even holy for that matter.
As a consequence, they are a bit limited. But they do get to enjoy double dipping into evil/good equipment as well somewhat limited (but not totally empty) selection of weapons. Pick a side and it gets easier.

I dont see anything wrong here.

0 0 0
Ashlyn

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:38 pm    Post subject:

I think a valid point here is that there a lot of decent two-handed/oversized options and not as many one handed options across the board, but more specifically maces and swords.

1 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:12 pm    Post subject:

Well as I said that is probably your alignment pick. And you can ask anyone who plays non-neutral chaotics about that. Cuz the amount of shit that was slapped orderly. It was 30 weapons last I checked. I was very frustrated by this a year ago and thats why we now have a fire with fire set, dagger of yog soth flipped back and some other recent equipment I added. I have no explanation for why so many weapons are orderly when a justice can already pull a peacemaker out of their ass. if there are any weapons you see flagged ‘orderly’ that seem to fill the gap here we could probably just try making those a bit broader. That is my take. Take a look and let me know.

0 0 0
Olyn
Immortal

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:33 pm    Post subject:

Compare the number of wild weapons to the number of orderly ones, and then consider that orderly is usable by 2/3 of the ethos choices. I think you'll find that they are still under-represented.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:03 am    Post subject:

so what we are trying to identify here is what are the needs right. some player picked a chaotic neutral, hits 50 and goes through orderly, weight and alignment restriction,
potentially class too (but this is a warrior) to find everything leftover seems giant friendly. it doesnt particularly matter if orderly or wild or size is the answer. what matters is the player finding nothing useable after slapping orderly on a bunch of stuff after checking a naive filter (wild vs orderly raw counts). ive been through this myself so i know thieves got fucked at the very LEAST. but considering every variable is tough. therefore i do think it is best for a player of a particular race/class to speak up about whats missing. example, a shaman might roll chaotic and find out theres no flail because the sprinkler is anti evil and gasterides is anti chaotic. poor example because nobody cares about shamans but you see what i mean. the devil is in the detail. i remember for example i had to add exotic weapons after putting anti good on the demonflame. this was for a narrow use case of evil thief with low strength i believe. i am speaking 100% honestly when i say i cant see a problem

0 0 0
Arunore

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:54 am    Post subject:

one thing i noticed when i once played a treant warrior was that the splintered dragonclaw ranseur is the only polearm that they can use, which is a rare polearm crafted (from dragonheads i think?) material dragon.

unless the treant warrior is evil, in which case they can also use the unique blood filled voulge. every other polearm is made of metal or of fire. save the chaos bound polearm (ethereal) and it's counterpart a polearm of victory (also ethereal). but those two are the store bought ones at 45 from darkhaven and valour, and they are wild.

i was thinking about this before you mentioned certain combos getting boned, and this popped up because i ran into this a while back but never mentioned anything.

0 0 0
Ashlyn

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:04 am    Post subject:

Treants should be able to make 20 avg weapons out of their body, or another tree. Just a random idea.

2 0 0
twerpalina

BANNED

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:27 am    Post subject:

Treant hand to hand combat = literally beating people up with branches I assume?

How cool would that be, to be able to morph your branches into different shape and size for combat style advantage, similar to monk? Because right now Treants seem to be a very sketchy pick for a warrior, I think that would make it a unique and worthwhile experience.

2 0 0
Ceridwel
Immortal

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:14 pm    Post subject:

This thread reminded me that I’d love to see a damage type filter in the Codex.

3 0 0
Resatimm
Takes the Cake

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:05 am    Post subject:

No, not until Dav adds "skewer" as a piercing damage type.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Past Balance Patch Thread Discussions All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: