Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "The Assault on Taekir" is beginning in 1 day, 4 hours.

wish list thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Past Balance Patch Thread Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Solmundi
Immortal

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:03 pm    Post subject:

I’m for golden road. Anything to stop clerics from wrecking. Hunt evil is nice. Just add a hunt good.

0 0 0
Xenyar
Emissary

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 1:51 am    Post subject:

Golden road will only help pk vets more than it will help anybody else. Period. I don't think we need that.

1 0 0
lionSpyre

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 2:17 pm    Post subject:

Agreed: no golden road please. It would overprint on existing abilities, and only be abused by vets, not utilized by noobs. Interested in a tracking ability though for certain classes.

0 0 0
Stiehl26

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:48 pm    Post subject:

Just out of curiosity, how would vets “abuse it”. I think, like twerp said, people use automappers, scripts, etc. A golden road would narrow the gap between vets and newbies…you guys do want/keep new players…right?

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:14 pm    Post subject:

You guys are sounding a little weird right now because we have this already. its the paladin hunt evil skill. It has a limited sight range amongst other counters, I think I put its range equal to the max range of the shadow "vanish" skill to balance the two, but memory may be betraying me atm. I have not heard feedback of this breaking the game or anything, its more been the case that we get bug reports that it doesn't work. There is a vampire equivalent spell that mirrors the paladin one, which was logical to add because they can only hunt at night and its even more limited than the pally version. The answer to that wish is just "which class" because this is literally in the game and done thoughtfully, it seems like some of you guys are not listening
To reiterate, rangers have good tracking shit.

0 0 0
Solmundi
Immortal

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:44 pm    Post subject:

I think people are just defensive about playstyle. Changing your playstyle and adapting will make everyone better players. I'm curious as to how vets would abuse it?

0 0 0
Ashlyn

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:00 pm    Post subject:

It would make second tier players able to finish off top tier players that one in four time they have to run away. As has been pointed out, top tier players don't need it to kill and wouldn't really give them any advantage. Its more a double edged sword for them against the people they slightly edge out in skill. Be afraid of this, be very afraid.

0 0 0
twerpalina

BANNED

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:14 pm    Post subject:

People saying that it fucks over healers etc. Well, I played Taor and Veromos both at the same time when golden road was a thing and it helped me to hunt down people who I normally would not been able to. Also I had no issues running and healing when people used golden road to chase me.

Without that, I personally wouldnt bother to play majority of classes, because I don't play this game enough to memorize every single room or remember every path.

But whatever, i dont really care, it was just an observation from a mid-tier player perspective.

0 0 0
Vevier
Immortal

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:54 pm    Post subject:

Golden road was active for most of Kewlin's career and I can tell you that I used it all the time. Even though it broke when the other player moved, you could see which way they were running and that was usually enough to keep up (at least far enough to land the ensnare).

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:56 pm    Post subject:

twerp there are two sides to that. I'm probably going to sound like I am rambling a bit here, but here goes. Anyone can wear the gear, so there's basically going to be two main advantages a vet over a newbie in skill.. game knowledge and being able to choose+time your shit correctly. Give two people the same gear and the vet wins based on those two things (disregarding the spam recalls potion to reset a fight wher the RNG went south). Now what happens when we mess with one of those variables is it is going to impact the other in a way that it becomes even more important. We can remove one completely (e.g. "golden road" area knowledge out of the game) and vets will still win bceause of the other. That is good if we feel the skill ceiling of the game is too high, bad if we want exploring to matter instead of just mechanics. If there is a class which is bogged down stopping to heal or has a very limited window to PK in, its a good place to put this. Does a thief need it? Does a berserker need it? There is bodyslam and trip? What you guys used before was tracking people through multiple areas ridiculously. Current version has a range of like 10 rooms or so, and new things like fog that interrupt that. It isn't really that big a deal to add it to another class if it seems like a decent fit IMO. I would say it is a good fit for faerie fire and that would be very troubling to go up against vs certain classes, but that's less of a concern for me because the mages are more demanding on other mechanics (weapon ward, manage mana etc).

0 0 0
BlackWidow

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:35 am    Post subject:

Making arguments about the golden road helping newbies are probably not valid; most newbies aren't actively trying to PK, and even when they are, chances are the target is not somebody like Xenyar who would probably beat them more than 9 times out of 10 anyway. It also further pushes the game more towards being a PKing MUD, which is questionably desirable.

0 0 0
BlackWidow

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:37 am    Post subject:

Point being, the golden road gives an edge for those who have its knowledge (and I don't think your average newbie would know about it; I came back after several years away and didn't know about the change until Chaut mentioned how it didn't work in some situation or other).

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:43 am    Post subject:

i wouldnt rule it outl . i think its cool. what i removed from the game was f'ed up! but that golden road thing is decent. i just feel like we covered it, so I am looking for someone to say where we dont have coverage for that.

another "wish" for somebody to claim - an item to permanently tie your sack to yourself so thief cant easily steal. whatever it is, it will turn your sack nodrop. and pilfer can then be target sack items
but nobody wished for it

0 0 0
Xerties

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 5:05 am    Post subject:

To expand on my request for more stuff for lairs.

Something that I think would really help the world feel more 'alive' is if we changed how lairs decay. Right now I think they just pop out after someone deletes.

Instead, it would be cool if nature reclaimed the lair and they became ruins. Over time the door breaks, items inside get ruined (maybe a chance to be replaced with a mimic!), and rooms collapse. Eventually the whole thing would go away, but someone could find and claim the ruin. Then they could buy renovation kits to rehab the ruin and make it their own lair. This would have to be tied to accounts, so that you can't just delete and then have your new char 'find' the lair and bypass all the costs of lair building. We could expand this to beyond deleted chars too. If you don't visit your lair in a long time it starts to decay and is up for grabs.

Relatedly, players could will their lair to someone else on death, or to a city/organization. If willed to an organization the lair is immediately broken down and an amount proportional to the size and contents of the lair gets put into the cabal bank. Cabal members would automatically will to the cabal maybe.

Mail slots would be fun too. Trusted chars could drop items in other character's lair mail slots when they're not on for them to find when they come home. You'd need a lair guardian to stop people putting flaming bags of poo in there (lookin at you Resatimm).

Door ringers so you don't have to yell/tell if you're waiting outside.

Flavor kits so you could add little echos in different rooms. Like the rain splats in Drkshtyre.

Secret door kits. Could pair with the flavor kits, or inspection kits.

Make it so you can deploy one inspection kit on your door so you can describe the exterior of the house.

Ok, off lairs.

Be able to personalize your equipment. You could tailor it with a custom look, but if someone 'examines' you it shows the unaltered eq. Also aggro/evasive adrenaline would strip the tailoring temporarily so you don't have to remember to 'examine' in combat. Could be limited with material types too, so you don't tailor fullplate to look like a wool sweater.

1 0 0
Ceridwel
Immortal

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:48 pm    Post subject:

I wonder if a 'dynamic' golden road would be doable.

- Only shows if you have a verified account
    - Compares your account's pk records of your last X characters with the character you currently have combat adrenaline against
    - If your 'pk ability' as calculated by your forum account record calculation is worse than your current adversary, golden road appears

Or a different version:

- Still needs verified forum account linked
    - Simply compares your current character's pk rating against the rating of your current adversary.
    - If your rating is worse than theirs, golden road shows

Or...some variation/combination of the above.

GR abuse by PK-skilled vets is a very legitimate concern, but I also see the perspective of players who suck at PK that could use a little playing field evening.

0 0 0
Vanisse
Immortal

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:17 pm    Post subject:

@xerties love those lair ideas!

0 0 0
jugahbu

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:34 am    Post subject:

give devil dark-knights identify and reduce mastered buckler affects to -1 hit instead of -2

0 0 0
jugahbu

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:57 am    Post subject:

A way to locate where your sleeping bag, bedroll or whatever is. Gets expensive leaving them behind

0 0 0
ronk

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:17 pm    Post subject:

DKs being mage/fighter could use locate object because a cleric/fighter has the spell now but locate object has always been more of a mage spell by lore in first place.

0 0 0
jugahbu

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:57 pm    Post subject:

give thieves the gate spell

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Past Balance Patch Thread Discussions All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: