Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "The Assault on Taekir" is beginning in 1 day, 5 hours.

hitroll discussion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Past Balance Patch Thread Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:27 am    Post subject: hitroll discussion

A long time ago we flipped the hitroll bonus from dex to strength. I think on reflection maybe that was a misstep. We have since made a bunch of weapons check dex for hitroll anyway. Its like it has crept steadily back to dex, and my guess is probably because we fucked this up.

generic hitroll from dex does not seem terrible given the access of giant races to weapons with a higher ave in one handed mode, and similar benefits like that exists for higher str characters generally, they have more weapon choices and more high ave weapon choices than low str guys.

An idea then is a hitroll-like bonus could come from using heavier weapons (a bit harder to parry because of their weight) -- this would give giants a means to climb halfway out of a low hitroll pit with their strength. and without screwing everybody out of dodge. then the low str guys make up for what they lack in strength with the hitroll from their agility.

seems right?

0 0 0
twerpalina

BANNED

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:29 am    Post subject:

If you wanna gamble, do big * * * demolish hits, whore your damroll, but you are not gonna hit through def so often

if you wanna do more sustained dps, with less gamble, whore more hitroll, so you gonna get more reliable hits

if you wanna do big hits and bypass defenses, focus on actually being good at the game and maintain weapon/combat advantage (with concentrate classes)
so basically, you can as a player find a good balance of hitroll/damroll suited for your flavor
but you can maximize that flavor by actually being good at outplaying the enemy
with weapon/combat stance
and if you wanna do wham bam thank you mam big hits play a giant

if you wanna fight like a sporadic adhd maniac then roll a halfling with high dex

berserker:

a whirlwind of fury and rage, rampaging aoe fighter, shits flying when he goes into rage and smashes everyone in the room.
should be a bit more aoe-oriented to charge and smash apart groups recklessly. perhaps a buff to berserker windmill cleave, like invoker storms channeled aoe cleaving

warrior:
finesse, precision, skill, actually outplaying, outsmarting your enemy and beating them by skillful fighting, as a proper fighter class 1v1 oriented

ranger:
skirmish, hit and run, retreat with bow, eat a herb, come back murder flee some more be an annoying cunt to fight against, good to pick off sheep from a flock of many sheep e.g. groups of people one by one

--- choose an archetype fighter and tweak it with hitroll/damroll decisions and race choice ---

0 0 0
Vevier
Immortal

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:49 pm    Post subject:

I think going back to dex-hitroll makes a lot of sense. I had still assumed thats how it was. I also think that allowing heavier weapons an inertia bonus would be a cool way to take care of the low dex high str characters.

0 0 0
Ashlyn

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:36 am    Post subject:

Alright, so heres an off the cuff idea.

Hitroll should be dex based
Damroll should be str based
magic ac should scale with
physical ac should scale with wisdom

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:57 am    Post subject:

ok another plus here is instead of giants being beasts wearing everything theyre going to feel more locked into wearing big clubs and swords for a parry bonus, not so much whips and flails since that wont be their forte
this seems really good.

1 0 0
Xerties

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:02 am    Post subject:

Definitely agree that hitroll should go with dex, damroll with strength.

I like Ashlyn's idea too, but int should buff magic AC, con should buff physical AC (though this might make dwarf palis more OP). Wisdom could buff svs.

1 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:17 pm    Post subject:

i am just going to put it in the dex->hitroll, weight part. i have two reason why i see this as worth getting ahead of, instead of waiting to january

1. we had similar enough thread last patch and it wasnt addressed then so this is almost a repost
2. we are agreeing, even surprised it already isnt like this. its only like 5 days into the patch, why sit on that for 3 months
3. it makes the game more balanced especially on weapons
4. the idea is cool and different
5. these "use dex if bow" kinda checks add load in the wrong kinda place.
6. theres a buncha stuff i left off the patch notes by mistake so i need to add and bump it for a re-read anyway.

thread can stay open to continue discussing high hitrolls

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Past Balance Patch Thread Discussions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: