Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "The Assault on Taekir" is beginning in 1 day, 2 hours.

Drow Rangers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Past Balance Patch Thread Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ashlyn

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:01 am    Post subject: Drow Rangers

Why not? We have elves, and drow are just the anti-elf. Drow rangers are pretty mainstream in all of fantasy.

1 0 1
Andrael

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:06 pm    Post subject:

elves have rangers, drow have shadows

0 0 0
Ashlyn

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 5:38 pm    Post subject:

elves also have paladin and now dk, where drows just have dk. Whats your point?

0 0 0
Kalist19
Emissary

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:06 pm    Post subject:

Can’t wait to see twelve drizzts (yes I will be one of them)

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:46 pm    Post subject:

I think "because drizz't is mainstream" would've been the common sense answer for NOT adding it, but is not actually the reason. That credit goes to Rodyn/Rakashe, original builder of Seringale, and one of the game founders. His mandate was that rangers would not be allowed to be evils, with humans as the one exception, and that is a decision that goes back to 1997. We will not be adding more evil races to rangers because that founding implementor wanted it that way. That is all the reason needed. Of course we have violated a buncha other stuff they wanted, but since we have since added Raknos which is a pretty thoughtful add, it makes me not want to just slap drows into the game with a one line update. It will just be boring in comparison, a ho-hum, "this game has drow rangers like 50 other muds" kind of update.

Rodyn also wrote the "help realism" which is kind of a big deal.

1 0 0
BlackWidow

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:26 pm    Post subject:

Pixies can be evil rangers too, but I can understand Rodyn's desired restriction. Since pixies can be any alignment and actually make some sense as a ranger (I don't see an avian ranger being a thing), I don't see any real problem with it.

Drow otoh are simply evil... Anyone who wishes to try a good-aligned drow, be forewarned that you are severely handicapped if you do this.

Personally, I think Rodyn's wishes should be respected within the interpretation of realism. Drow live underground, not in the forest... Therefore, drow cannot be rangers is my understanding (pixies live in the forest on the other hand, so they're perfectly acceptable).

0 0 0
BlackWidow

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:35 pm    Post subject:

PS. drow rangers existing in mainstream in all of fantasy meaning what, Forgotten Realms and MAYBE R. A. Salvatore's works in general? Drow don't even exist in Dragonlance to my recollection. My AD&D 2nd Edition rulebooks only list the drow as an alternative option to a high elf player character but it says there's no special benefits gained from changing the type of elf your character is at creation. Furthermore, the drow entry in the Monstrous Manual does not mention them ever being rangers. I'm not as familiar with World of Warcraft but my understanding was that the night elves (WoW's equivalent race) were far more likely to be assassins, though I believe Tyrande is a priestess of Elune.

0 0 0
Ashlyn

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:59 pm    Post subject:

Drow rangers exist in my fan fiction. But very well.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Past Balance Patch Thread Discussions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: