Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

Introducing MSP sound support
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:05 am    Post subject: Introducing MSP sound support

If your client supports it, you can turn on MSP and be able to hear a couple sound effects.

Mudlet couldnt do MSP so i wrote a gmcp fallback, which surprisingly also auto-downloads the files. so if you are using mudlet just turn on sound (in AR not in mudlet.. default is ON for mudlet) and it should just work with no further setup. As for the other clients, I have not heard any positive feedback from imms about the files just auto downloading like the protocol promised they would, so there is a minor amount of manual setup.

Here is where they are stored on the server:

https://abandonedrealms.com/plugins/mudlet/sounds/

Download those to whatever folder you are supposed to download them to. if its cmud, just drag them into the AR folder and then make sure things are activated in the sound options. Then turn on the in-game stuff.

Code:
 sounds >
Sounds are currently turned ON.

Auras             ON (default)
  Disarms           ON (default)
  Improves          OFF
  Levels            OFF

Specify an option to toggle its state, or ALL to enable all of them.
Specify ON or OFF to enable or disable all sound.

of course there are plans to add more. we should do weather changes, area ambience, seringale clock, recall area message, teleport shatter.. i dont want to have all the fun finding the appropriate sound files though. submit some shit if you have anything good. just try to keep in mind (A) wav files (B) 3 second clips. and hopefully we dont run into playback problems.

important note - There is an in-game "sound" command which toggles whether the game will send sound or not. Dont be a dumbass and forget to turn the sound on in-game... no names mentioned -you know who you are.

3 0 0
Scrynor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:38 pm    Post subject:

Sound support?! He's trying to get us all fired from our jobs!

Jk, that's really cool. I still remember when they first added sound and pictures when you walk into town in gemstone 3 and it blew my little mind

1 0 0
Mogu

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:20 pm    Post subject:

I'm really happy about this. It's the little things. Thanks, Dav!

1 0 0
Raknar

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:59 pm    Post subject: Soundcheck

I just don't get it why add sounds like that.. perhaps for screenreaders and blind people indeed, yet, for me It is just hilarious.. I doubt young people play a mud text based and wish to hear a noise and actionwise sound.. It is just my opinion ofcourse, but for my view, I believe people rather listen to rock or other genre, so investing time to make sounds is just so intensely wrong so many ways, It is quite hard to put into words.. I know one thing.. most of the persons alive here only cheer up, cause of they do not want to perish and are afraid to say the truth.. but for me atleast.. it is just so ridicilous to invest time into such .. I apologize! Quite frankly the most hideous thing to invest a non graphic game fulfilled with sounds.. correct me if I am wrong..

1 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:00 pm    Post subject:

mogu : youre fucking welcome and lets make it better

raknar : it only took 45 mins and is totally optional, like colour, you can use it to pick out things you want to pay attention to easier, like a disarm in a ton of combat spam , and it is notifications not the top 10 charts or ‘emerald forest’ soundtrack (would boss fight music realy be that stupid? serious question)

Last edited by Davairus on Tue Jul 19, 2022 2:06 am; edited 1 time in total

1 0 0
Scrynor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 12:01 am    Post subject:

Boss music would be rad.

But if you add the Jaws music turning on after you flee from a mob that chases and it gets faster the closer they get to you I'll send you $20 straight up. That is the kind of flair I spend my dollar bucks on. Lol

1 0 0
BlackWidow

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 12:19 am    Post subject:

To be fair, different people will have different opinions regarding background music and sounds... When I'm playing my PKing characters I typically choose music that will get me psyched and ready to fight. During a relatively recent fight for example, I had M. Bison's theme from the arcade version of Street Fighter II playing. I've used Vega's and Balrog's themes in the past too... Balrog's theme fits really well with duels.

I used to have an alert on MUSHclient which alerted me of new output with the sound of a Geiger counter screeching... Was one of those standard files you can find on the Internet with a Google search.

I've used music from World of Warcraft while on raids... Perhaps ironically, the first time I beat Xanthak I was listening to "Arthas, My Son" in my headset.

While I am not sure I would use background music that was provided, I'm sure it's a nice touch. Sounds on the other hand are something I find useful... In another outdated game I play, notifications of new PMs are quite loud, and there's also a klaxon which fires when a combat happens (useful for a variety of reasons).

1 0 0
Scrynor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:01 am    Post subject:

I mean the obvious one we all need is a full code red siren if you are engaged in combat and the tick that puts your sanc at 0 hours hits...

2 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 2:05 am    Post subject:

i undid the delete.. lets move on

1 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:34 am    Post subject:

Hey Scrynor I thought about what you suggested there and I think that would take it a little too far - this goes into what Raknar was bringing up, like, should we really need it? I think we treat the sound dimension as equivalent to the visual dimension so that there is no new gameplay you can gain from that. Its kinda like playing your nintendo 3ds in 2d mode instead of 3d mode. None of the games need to be in 3d, it changes the experience of the game but it doesnt change the gameplay. similarly with sound, its an enhancement but it shouldnt provide a big competitive advantage. that could actually alienate people. it must be optional and an enhancement for people who like the sounds, but not required.

For what you are looking for, what you could do there is receive the affects over msdp, parse it out into a client window and have the mud client make the text start blinking at zero hours. this is actually pretty easy in msdp. I am not going to add that to mudlet because our gmcp stuff is more limited and that actually is not worth the 3 weeks i would spend working on it.

2 0 0
Raknar

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:37 am    Post subject: Re:

I apologize now when more sober.. It would be a nice touch indeed, some people do like it, other don't.. cannot always look from only one perspective.
I do not know what serpent got inside me last time, yet I can only agree now..
I shall take a week off to gather my senses.
Had a bad day and decided to drink myself to almost unconsious.. then hold a rant and live my feelings out in an absolute nonsense.. I do not hold any grudge.. Thank you for the second chance Davairus!

4 0 0
Scrynor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:58 pm    Post subject:

Just engaging in some food for thought for you here.

I can see the side of it where you don't want to expand capabilities. You wouldn't want somebody feeling like they cannot play without sound because they are crippled. I was kind of joking about the Jaws thing. That would definitely be new an novel functionality. When I think of sound I think in 2 ways typically:
1) Hey that's cool. Like into town or monument ambiance. The chill winds blow when entering Winter. Boss music. That sort of thing.
2) Quality of Life improvements. I mostly think of PoE here where you can configure crazy amounts of sounds to help you tell if something you really care about dropped. Sure, you could do filters or just read everything but the sounds are a huge add.

The idea of competitive advantage is a tricky landscape. AR arguably already has a whole bunch of competitive advantage divides.
Playing on phone
Playing on web portal
Playing on a client
Playing on a client with a custom AR extension
People who know how to code and further extend those clients

I already can do the sanc alarm visually. And a whole bunch of other stuff. Vevier once suggested I ask Olyn if I could officially add my weapon switch stuff to the AR plug in because people might appreicate the more even playing field and be less upset the spectre of filther scripters.

I'm not advocating one way or another. Just food for thought on the competitive advantage topic. There is already a huge haves and have nots divide on that front. Not sure some native sound triggers is going to tip any scales there.

1 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 8:37 am    Post subject:

What weapon switch stuff is this?

0 0 0
beia

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 2:41 pm    Post subject:

Its been known for years that folks use auto weapon switching and weapon pick up, wield, when disarmed. I think it is lame and cheesy. It's so obvious when someone has it scripted or triggered.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 6:15 pm    Post subject:

What are you using to trigger this "auto-switch" weapons ? Seems like you could just dirt kick

0 0 0
Scrynor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 7:01 pm    Post subject:

I'm not taking about triggers although you could add them easily if you wanted. I'm just talking about a package of aliases and variables that streamline running the triangles.

Right now my features are roughly
Variables for
Main hand
Offhand
Shield
Two hander
Of each weapon type
1 deep backup of each if you lose the original

Alias / variable to set your desired weapon type
Alias to switch into your desired combat style from wherever
Alias to switch into combat advantage based on what they have on
Alias to jump combat style to beat what would beat your current just in case you feel like guessing
Variable to remember what you last saw them in

Full support for treants or regular

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:37 am    Post subject:

Interesting... does your character still have enough awareness to barrage?

0 0 0
Scrynor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:17 pm    Post subject:

I mean, that all depends on if I have enough awareness to barrage.
Like I said this isn't automation (although you could add it easily). It is just streamlining to save me typing (and remembering names). Although the typing save could technically save me a round here and there if I type slow.

(Writing some commands more verbose than they are)
So if I'm looking to barrage I'll switch to 2 handed by typing
Tw
Then when I see them put on a shield I'll switch to dual wield and barrage by typing
Dw
Barrage

If I decide I want my whips instead of blades
Settype seg
Will make it so whips get equipped instead of blades when I type dw

If I acquire a vorpal sword I just do
Setmain blade vorpal
And now so my in combat commands are the same but I'm using my new weapon.

If I am just looking to open and immediately get combat advantage I'll just do
Murder target | ad
To try to murder and immediately switch into the right weapons because if your fighting the have tells you what they have. It just saves me reading the prompt and mentally processing it.

It is stuff like that.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:44 am    Post subject:

OK I guess I am not seeing how that is relevant to game sound. Useful but not really addressing the topic at hand. Might be a good thing to put into olyn's cmud plugin thread.

0 0 0
Vanisse
Immortal

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:33 am    Post subject:

sound support is something that can be done with a client already (adding triggers to specific text), but it is a pain to go through and input one for every action/trigger one might want a sound for. this is just a suite of sounds already prebuilt for players who might find such an option helpful. i imagine it might also be possible that instead of only deciphering text/symbols which are constantly whizzing by and having to parse out which of that flying text to respond to first, responding to a sound could be simpler to mentally process. but it's entirely optional...

"where you can configure crazy amounts of sounds to help you tell if something you really care about dropped" this is what you can add client-side to tailor to your own needs.

boss music or even ambient music/sounds for different areas might be fun. like the water droplets in drkshtyre forest, rainforest noises in escimir, heartbeat racing if your adrenaline goes up/a sigh of relief when it calms down (instead of needing adrenaline on your prompt), there are a lot of cool possibilities for sound really

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Updates All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: