Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 9 days, 15 hours.

Defiance
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xerties

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 4:47 am    Post subject: Defiance

My idea is a skill for invokers called Defiance. What it amounts to is basically as the invoker gets more and more injured his spells do more and more damage. It wouldn't be a one for one thing, but more an exponential curve. For example, at 50% hit points you would only get a 10-15% bonus to spell damage, while at 25% it would be a 25-30% bonus and at 5% you'd get a 90-95% bonus. This would be something that would, IMO, help balance out a struggling class. As it stands invokers can't hold a candle to necros or berserkers at 50, struggle with warriors and shamans, and just generally don't do all that well. There's only been one invoker in recent memory that's been able to do anything, Grimp. Think how many berserkers or necros or even warriors that have just ripped it up. Quite a few. So what do you think?

0 0 0
Davor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:20 am    Post subject:

huh?

Zehmann, Thkot anyone? Grimp was a justice who turtled more often then not, and not all that impressive compared to these two(granted he did excellent work exploring Valour:)).
Problem with invoker is that none of the good players have turned to this class lately. And idea of beefing already hysterical hellstream...
Why should they stand toe to toe with berserkers who are basically "mage killers"? What you are suggesting is that after the imms have gone through the trouble of implementing savebreaks and bunch of healing supplies they introduce a skill that would encourage sit and spamming hellstream as tactic nm1, somehow I can't see that.

And oh, hellstream, sanc, ward, protective/mana/elemental shield, word, enchant, chain lightning, fireball, two defences... Poor poor invokers, how will they cope without 100% damage boost...

0 0 0
Xerties

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:26 am    Post subject:

Apparently you haven't played an invoker lately. Zem never made it to 50, I've never even seen Thkot. Go ahead and roll one up and see how well you do, hellstream isn't all that it's cracked up to be.

0 0 0
Kedaleam
Immortal

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:27 am    Post subject:

Dont worry... Wait till Afflictive module... *cough*

0 0 0
Xerties

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:34 am    Post subject:

Oh oh, good idea. Just let me hold my breath. *GASP*...................

0 0 0
Esivole
Immortal

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:14 pm    Post subject:

listen, when you see a hellstream 'maim' another player, it makes you lose hope in hell stream all together. or when an icicle 'injures' a fire giant. no, invokers spells are in no way beef. enchant... yay for having 7/7 weapons when you really have no use for them because you can't waste EQ space with hit and damage eq. so the 7/7 means little enough to me. f-bal.... yay? TWO DEFENCES, sanc, ward, protective/mana shields, word..... all of those are to keep your ass halfway alive while you try to run. necros have mass pets and can do nice damage in them selves, illusionist can do the same. Shamans just pwn alot with their incredibly wide variety of spells so you can never really guard against them. healers aren't supposed to do much, except stay alive a hell of a lot better than invokers. invokers can...??

0 0 0
Davor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:04 pm    Post subject:

Right.
Concerning my invoker experience
I played the other rank 50 drow legion invoker in Thkot's time, i deleted after a while, not before testing and getting the feel of char and class fully, conclusion was: interesting and far from "gimp" class but not for my mediocre skills and rather lacking ambitions learning wise.

1. invoker should not and has almost no chance in beating magic resist warrior types if they are prepaired (dwarf and the like).
I will reiterate again, Thkot as a great example of invoker play, sneaky, catching people off guard, never staying in fight for more then 2-3 rounds(unless the other guy is unsanced) always initiating or attempting to, using whole Thera to his advantage. And most important of all, knowing when to retreat, pick your battles.
Zehmann didn't hit 50 but if you saw him fight you know what I am talking about.

To cut down further heckling, I'm not saying that invokers could not use a brushup, I felt the pain myself, but all that could have been different if I adapted to it instead sticking to my warrioresque ways of going toe to toe with everyone...

If you want a stay in combat pwnnnn style go dwarf zerker and final reserve everyone... thats what Resatimm did

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:30 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
at 5% you'd get a 90-95% bonus. This would be something that would, IMO, help balance out a struggling class.

Double damage hellstreams = balanced? Davor is right, you just want your favorite ailing tactic (spam hellstream) buffed.

0 0 0
Kalist19
Emissary

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:11 pm    Post subject:

Eh, Grimp was pretty awesome. If buy turtling you mean wording when hurt, then yeah. But if you mean hiding behind special guard, then not so much. Most of his fights were against non wanted guys. As for invokers vs magic resistant warriors? Might be different now due to save afflictives and whatnot, but back then grimp rocked all the warlords. I'm telling you guys, only way to go on invoker is massive hit/damroll. Bring out the offense. Invoker playing D will get whooped.

0 0 0
Slade
Emissary

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:15 pm    Post subject:

I wouldn't guess (not too much experience there) invoker to be that bad really. People play them kind of strangely with full hp and mana (<- ???) gear and stuff like that. My priorities would be hit/dam (#1 priority unless against a dispeller), save mental (for said dispeller), health (obvious). Its kind of a balancing act. I'm not going to wear some 10 hp item over hit/dam, but if its like 30 hp then I'll take that over the 2 dam item or whatever (as long as my hit/dam overall is still OK, so I'll still have a balance of everything).

Tactics wise I'd guess you just have to kind of play it guerilla style, blast them unsanced, you could run around and outlast their purples if you wanted, otherwise you could just keep trying to brute force it until successful I guess (its can probably take a lot of skirmishing attempts to pull it off sometimes). Use those scrolls and staves for healing.

The abysmal HP is a real problem... what are you gonna do..

Certain combos you just aren't going to beat if they have half a clue. Dwarf warrior and berserker = death.

0 0 0
Burzuk
Implementor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:39 am    Post subject:

davor wrote:
conclusion was: interesting and far from "gimp" class but not for my mediocre skills and rather lacking ambitions learning wise.

Davairus wrote:
Davor is right, you just want your favorite ailing tactic (spam hellstream) buffed.

These are both pretty accurate. Invokers -- and in fact, all the mage classes -- aren't for the faint of heart. If you expect to win by sitting there spamming hellstream, you won't. And if you expect changes made (such as your proposed skill) to make it easier to win by spamming hellstream, you also won't.

Xerties wrote:
Apparently you haven't played an invoker lately.

What's so much harder about invokers "lately" compared to the days of Thkot and Grimp? Enlighten us.

Keep in mind that mages in particular will be tailored toward our strongest players and will require the most playing skill to do well with. (That's why we warn away newbies from the mage classes right on the class selection menu.) Thkot and Grimp were doing something right with invokers, and it wasn't by sitting back spamming away hellstream until they had 5% hp left. Now imagine if we gave them this proposed skill as well -- how well would they have done?

It sounds like you're having trouble playing invokers, but the problem (as Davor pointed out) is that you don't have the adequate playing skill for them. I would either figure out how Thkot and Grimp were succeeding in ways you weren't, or pick a class that suits your style better.

Kalist19 wrote:
I'm telling you guys, only way to go on invoker is massive hit/damroll. Bring out the offense. Invoker playing D will get whooped.

Slade wrote:
People play them kind of strangely with full hp and mana (<- ???) gear and stuff like that. My priorities would be hit/dam

Bingo. Listen to the experienced players here. To succeed with an invoker, you need to quit thinking "how am I going to stay alive" and start thinking "how am I going to kill my opponent". If you worry about staying alive first and foremost, you'll never make it to the top as an invoker. Invokers aren't a sit-back-and-be-safe class, not if you want to win consistently.

The heart of the aff module will have some pretty hefty changes for invokers, but not in the direction you're thinking.

Xerties wrote:
Think how many berserkers or necros or even warriors that have just ripped it up. Quite a few.

You must be joking. Most of the recent "good" warriors/berserkers were all played by the same player, jeoparty. And there's been exactly one necro within the last 5 years or so (i.e. after Resatimm finished playing his necros) who can be said to be "ripping it up". If those classes are so strong, why don't you go "ripping it up" with them to show us? You may be for some surprises, especially with necros. (Hint: if you think invokers have a tough time defensively, wait until you try to survive as a rend life necro. I guarantee it'll be an eye-opening experience that will teach you lessons about playing invokers, and mages in general.)

0 0 0
Erlwith

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:26 pm    Post subject:

Look Xerties, Invokers are pretty gay at this point. If you're going to play one, it's going to take a lot of skill to do it even at a level of mediocrity. To be "good" at it... well, they can only name a couple good ones going back a few years so that should tell you something about invokers. Right now invokers are nothing to be feared, if that's what you're going for, wrong class... but maybe they will be with the aff mod.

There is a clear line to be drawn here between capable classes and gimped ones. Warriors and rangers are perfect examples of ready to play classes that got completely done up from bottom to top with the combat mod. These are going to be your choices if you want to play capable classes. Thieves and Invokers are two other perfect examples of classes that are so gimped (either by being stripped of skills/spells or just not being updated with the newer and newer game changes) that just playing them adequately takes a better then average skill level.

0 0 0
Davor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:25 pm    Post subject:

Erlwith wrote:

Thieves and Invokers are two other perfect examples of classes that are so gimped (either by being stripped of skills/spells or just not being updated with the newer and newer game changes) that just playing them adequately takes a better then average skill level.

ufff, this is so tiresome, apparently when you go into create screen all you people really want is 1 race and 1 class. this might be a tad abstract for you so i'll dumb it down... diversity does not come from calling thief a thief or warrior wielding two big swords, it comes from difference in required approach to the class and it's abilities. Balance is not attained by making it so that each class in neutral conditions is as strong as another class(quite easy task for current staff I believe). It comes from creating the environment in which these classes will be able to take advantage of their unique skills to gain an edge(and gathering the proper equipment and supplies to be sure).
I will not repeat the invoker case, "not for n00bs" tag is on them.
You call thief a gimp, but give that class into acceptably competent(not necessarily greatly skilled, decent runner) but imaginative hands... he'll make you eat your words. I honestly think that even short consideration of this class will lead you to the same conclusion.
sure as hell, thief wont win many straight up fights, but with his (VERY entertaining) skill list even trying to do so is solid proof of sheer idiocy...

And labeling classes "gimp" is just a poor way of setting aside a chance to try out something new, challenging and possibly learning form it.

Sidenote: If you check Invokers, they gained additional defence skillwise, gotten powerful weapon ward and savebreaks, so I would skillwise hardly call them "loosers", same goes for thief, just what did they loose, since rogue module they gotten some sweet skills(clobber, uncanny, sidestep), some over the top were modified (adrenalin thing, before it everyone bitched at instant hiding whores, prying helmet of awake target was as ridiculous if not more). So your argument of "stripping skills/spells is poorly placed.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:20 am    Post subject:

The fact both invokers and rogues still have cheeses, by definition, means that they can't flat out "suck". If it does flat out suck nobody will want it (e.g. fire shaman)

0 0 0
beia

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:47 am    Post subject:

Fire shamans rock eh?

But Mages need no more skills they are already beastly if you play them rite.

0 0 0
Erlwith

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:33 pm    Post subject:

Davor, that's all well and good, but it still doesn't change the fact that Invokers are under equipped. That is my point, not that anyone is too much of a noob to be good at an invoker. Frankly, when you can only name less then a handful of "good" invokers in as long a time frame as we have you're either stating that the entire playerbase as a whole (save those two or three players) suck and are newbies, or that the Invokers are not at their full capacity. I think the fact alone that their getting an overhaul speaks volumes to the fact that they are not a complete class, and as such are not as leet as some of you are trying to prescribe. They have some of the tools they need (and as such tools that can be used by an experienced player to overcome their downfalls) but not *all* of the tools a class would need to be balanced. Basically, Invokers kind of suck in pvp, but a great, smart player can turn even the greatest pitfalls into their advantage.

And aside from your clever quips, I really don't believe "Balance" is about invokers being equal to warriors, or anything of the sort. I believe that it is a balance in functionality. Can this class function, and do a, b, c and d. Invokers aren't at what could be their full potential, and while I don't endorse a skill like defiance, saying that "you suck at invokers because you're a newbie" is a complete fallacy. You suck at invokers because the class isn’t complete, and even with their strengths it’s going to take an exceptionally experienced player to really shine.

0 0 0
Vhrael
Immortal

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:16 pm    Post subject:

Uh... there are tons of "great invokers" in the history of AR.

The problem is that with the current changes to combat and weapon skills, they're still "old school". Atari 2600 (invokers) vs. the PS3 (warrior-types), y'know?

As for the class being "complete" or not... again, that's dependent on changes that occur within the rest of the game. Before warriors got hobble or overhead crush (or weapon/combat advantages), people would've argued that they were more or less "complete," but if you asked players today if they want to go back to the old system, many would say they like things how they are now. Invokers just haven't had their "upgrades" fully implemented yet.

Give it time. I'm fairly certain that the afflictive module and changes will be coming around pretty soon, and then a more thorough reevaluation can be done properly.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:35 pm    Post subject:

A major cause of invoker sucktitude is the player grabbing tons of +hp instead of getting some +hit/+dam and using cure preps. Completely overlooking those skills is a newbie mistake.

You should look at the prep skill like this:

scrolls = energy scrolls, medic scrolls (cabal)
staves = cure critical staves

Example:
Paladin will complain he doesn't have much mana for wraths and cures, and about his crap regen, but he has staves. So he could just brandish red and whites and just get it for free. Well or he could just say paladins suck and pretend it can't happen. The same goes for invokers with their poor hp regen, necros going dam for rend life, thieves and ninjas both get scrolls. The durability is all in the preps. A low hp is much easier to manage than it probably seems, the benefits of hit/dam are obvious.

You don't see a warrior not using sanc just because he has to walk for purples, do you? Well an invoker not using cure preps is just the other side of that coin. Its an important and necessary distinction that (A) warriors aren't able to use or do anything about those items, while (B) invokers can just dispel purples.

Unfortunately conventional wisdom dictates to put a mage in +hp, which is wrong. If you're saying an invoker isn't a good class, its a dead giveaway that this is what you're thinking, and yeah, it dont work, and wont ever work.

In future I would suggest not taking acknowledgement from the imms that some changes needed to be done as a sign that the class is crap. Invokers most certainly are not. Thieves, better than any other class, can monopolize preps. Its just a matter of getting a good suit first like with any class.

0 0 0
Erlwith

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:26 pm    Post subject:

None of my posts are meant to be a gripe, firstly, I know things are coming and I'm not rushing them. Simply saying that not being able to fight well with an invoker has less to do with the skill of the player and more to do with an out of date spell line.

As for invokers being so awesome, I'm waiting for the proof.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:04 am    Post subject:

For one, the very reason guys try to get away with "brainless spam" hellstream in the first place, is because it is somewhat dangerous. But that's by no means all invokers have to do.

How about a mage hitting caps through sanc with his melee. Its really just a matter of getting hitroll/damroll items and enchanting a weapon. Ever experienced getting massacres from a mage after he dispels you? Its not only healers and shamans that can do that - they just don't have a "spam hp eq" mindset because they can cure without preps.

Try chain lightning vs multiple opponents. It outdamages hellstream easily. Its cast delay is sufficiently low to prevent multiple easy flee/murders to, making it a better spell against fighters that like to do that.

Try fleeing after hellstreams, so you don't get caught in the second round of melee hits. Then initiate with your hellstream just after that would have happened. You can avoid a lot of damage that way.

Try fireballs, they hit harder and cast much faster than hellstreams. Does this sound like a spell that sucks? Its really lethal.

Try murdering. Any class with a good hit/dam has a good murder.

Oh but, all that sounds nice, but nobody ever played a scary invoker in practice? Right....

Gnome invoker (before the fixed vulns) vs fully pimped stone berserker Warlord
http://www.network54.com/Forum/109789/message/1123178456/Grunky+vs+Taurth+-+who+will+be+squished-

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: