Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

Necros and protection creature
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xerties

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:50 am    Post subject: Necros and protection creature

I was thinking that it might be nice to open up necro's protection creature to be able to be cast on others in order to increase their usefulness to a group, particularly at the low levels.

0 0 0
Soldier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:09 am    Post subject:

Thats not that bad a idea but necros are supposed to be lone killers (besides the golems and zombies.) So it wouldn't be to practical to do that.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:26 am    Post subject:

Yep. Its only there to help them raise zombies.

0 0 0
Burzuk
Implementor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:08 am    Post subject:

Given how much better rend life is than chill touch for leveling at lower levels, as well as toxic flux being a more than adequate high-level leveling replacement for acid blast, I'm not sure why we'd want to make necros any easier to level than that. Rend life and toxic flux already makes necros better for groups than they used to be.

Necros are about offense, not defense. And getting there is supposed to be harder with a necro than with, say, a warrior.

0 0 0
Xerties

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:02 am    Post subject:

Just thought I'd put it out there and see what everybody thought.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:54 am    Post subject:

Psionicists had a "ballistic attack" sort of lowbie spell, where you can animate any object and send it flying at the target. This would be funny on lowbie necromancer, probably with body parts restriction so it requires dead people/mobs.

Quote:
c 'animate hand' nymph
"A hand flies towards a nymph
A hand's slap DISMEMBERS a nymph!
A hand's slap DISMEMBERS a nymph!
A hand fallls to the ground.

You'd see necros getting pissed at groupmates for get/eat triggers, knowing they can use those for damage. Plus parts rot so they're unlikely to be useful for much beside levelling grind. Its unlikely to happen of course, but these are the sorts of things we could also be doing, insteada just "open up prot creature casting".

I would like to see some more interesting lowbie spells, so I encourage suggesting those. Now this one I don't think is making it. It was just for shits and giggles...

Another thing is this. Suppose you were in Shaldun Dalghul, which is an area thick in shadows. An interesting spell that only works in the shadows might still be viable, since we have environments that are set up like that. Its not all forest & city & water. Then again you guys tend to leave it 1% if it isnt always useful. I haven't really had time to think about that much, be my guest.

0 0 0
Xerties

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:07 pm    Post subject:

Talking about giving psi spells to other classes; should we take that as the closed classes have a snowball's chance of being reopened?

0 0 0
Soldier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:02 pm    Post subject:

Well how about a shadow spawn not really strong but casts random spells so its not a great help and it can't go past rank 20.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:21 pm    Post subject:

For psis reopening? I wouldn't say a snowball's chance. That might imply there's actually a chance.

0 0 0
Xerties

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:37 pm    Post subject:

Sweet. Go through all the trouble to code a class, then don't use it. Makes sense.

0 0 0
Burzuk
Implementor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:27 pm    Post subject:

Xerties wrote:
Sweet. Go through all the trouble to code a class, then don't use it. Makes sense.

On at least two different mega-threads, I've thoroughly gone over all the reasons why psis were broken, both conceptually and in terms of actual implementation. There's no need to rehash everything again, but a Cliff's Notes version reads something like:

a) too many borrowed skills from other classes re-badged as "mental" (i.e. psychic healing, pyramid, etc);
b) "original" skills were either unoriginal (i.e. mental-based afflictives) or trivial (i.e. stir, psi-enhance, etc);
c) lack of any consistent class design ethos leads to most psi players only practicing a handful of their spells at all, which happened to be the cheesy ones;
d) cheese factor.

Psis were the playthings of Virgil from way back and were actually scheduled as one of the purge additions (along with sliths, minotaurs, etc). However, Stryth looked through what Virgil had put together and decided not to use the class at all, saying it wasn't up to snuff. Then Stryth left, the Imms who were left decided to implement psis anyway, and I've become the bad guy for taking them out like they were supposed to have remained. Because it was a crappy class all along.

Being coded in doesn't mean much of anything. For example, there were tons of fighter/rogue skills that I had Davairus code in (but we've never actually implemented) before we reworked much of the various things we were working on into the coherent systems of combat styles and weapon types. We both feel that what was finally implemented is way better than what we had originally drawn up and coded. And likewise, even though there was code written, psis should've never have seen the light of day beyond Stryth and Virgil.

Here's an idea: what sort of class did psis represent? If you're looking for an easy mage class that has curiously strong defenses (healing, sanctuary, protection versus all alignments, a blur that works against both melee and spells, innate resistance against mental spells and effects), as well as having afflictives and mals that use the wrong save type -- is this really something you feel would be a good fit for AR? Not in my book. In fact, we're going the opposite direction with mages, with less defenses (for example, necros losing protection vs good) and more specializing (for example, necros losing hp on top of losing protection due to wearing +hit/dam for rending). In many ways, psis are the exact antithesis of what we feel a mage should be.

0 0 0
Xerties

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:09 am    Post subject:

Probably time to take out the guilds then.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:34 am    Post subject:

Way to detail your own thread Xerties.

0 0 0
Xerties

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:36 am    Post subject:

You mean deRail? Come on, this is the Queen's english here!

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:38 am    Post subject:

I was using the example to show that its possible to "synergize" two concepts to create something more interesting, at the same time making an "insightful" observation that lowbie mages can probably use more fun spells. I did that because I felt the idea lacked creativity, and rather than just say that, I even went the extra mile to come up with an original example that actually shows the creative thinking process. Obviously I have an incentive to help you come up with better ideas - with more of us pooling ideas together, along with our diverse cultural backgrounds, we can potentially come up with LOTS of ideas, and together build an extremely appealing game with it. The more ideas you throw at a problem, the more good ones you get, as long as you learn from your mistakes. Didnt it take Edison 2000 tries to make a lightbulb?

Thing with creativity is, it tends to be most effective when targetted at unpopular choices that go against the mainstream. To use the edison example again, everyone was quite happy with gas-powered bulbs at the time. Then one day, he changes the mainstream in an instant, and immediately moves on to inventing film equipment or whatever. For AR, racial legacies make a lot of unpopular race/class combos more interesting, we can add one of those, and move on to the next unpopular choice. Necromancers have their rend life stuff, so they're not really looking that unpopular now, although before that, going damroll with any mage definitely was. But what about drow necros? That's still an unpopular choice. Lowbie mages are still extremely unpopular with vets, although not so with the newbies flooding in. You might have had more success if you targetted your idea directly at drow necros, knowing that you can counter "they already have rend life" with "they have 18 str", which was the obvious response to your idea. Or lowbie mages, who it can be argued they don't have a damroll for rend life anyway, there's a case against that being the be-all and end-all because it encourages eq multi strongly.

I gave an example to avoid posting the above theory crap, which isn't so easy to read. I posted that here because I wanted to talk about ideas, not to bring up psis. But the one-line sarcastic quips are dissuading me from giving you constructive criticism in the future - if you don't learn from your mistakes, then your ideas aren't going to get used.

0 0 0
Smotpoker

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:05 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Didnt it take Edison 2000 tries to make a lightbulb?

no. he found 2000 ways not to make a lightbulb.

0 0 0
Xerties

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:33 pm    Post subject:

Thing is about 'more interesting lowbie spells' is that if you design them purely to help people rank at the low leves vet's aren't going to practice them because they can better use the practices elsewhere. If you want to give lowbie mages a little extra 'umph' at the low levels maybe increase the power on the wands in the elemental canyon? It seems to me at the moment that wands isn't a highly practiced thing because there isn't much use for them, aside from that cabal item. Most of the other cure items are scrolls and staves, so if you made those wands a little more attractive then you'd get two things out of it; 1, help lowbie mages level, and 2, it's not really a free thing because people will have to use the practice sessions to practice wands, but they're not really wasting them because wands can be useful at the high levels and it's only 2 pracs instead of 4 or 6 for several lowbie spells. Maybe even have some sort of chain interaction with the wands. Like if you use an ice wand and a fire wand the temperature swing causes extra damage or something.

0 0 0
Xazappith
Immortal

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:29 pm    Post subject:

Xerties wrote:
Like if you use an ice wand and a fire wand the temperature swing causes extra damage or something.

I really like this idea, and playing an invoker (especially during ranking when I was trying to get my proficency up) I even tried to do it. icicle then burning hands or flame arrow. Another additon to it would be lightning and water perhaps. It could be like a 3 round vuln or something, perhaps with a chance of not happening...

Your icicle maims a creature.
FIGHT FIGHT

Your flame arrow maims a creature.
FIGHT FIGHT

Your flame arrow maims a creature.
A creature looks like it's getting cooked.
FIGHT FIGHT

Your icicle MUTILATES a creature.
FIGHT FIGHT

FIGHT FIGHT
A creature looks like he's cooled down.

The 'vulns' wouldn't stack IE you couldn't be cooking and freezing at the same time, or cooking and covered in water. I'm not sure how it would work against established vulns. I'm thinking mostly of dwarves and their vuln to water. I suppose that they would have resistance to 'electrocuting'. Not lightning attacks persay, but just the effect of being extra vulnerable to water.

This really would only affect invokers, but I also like the idea of making wands useful, or even elemental weapons. Add the 'vuln' effect to them so that you can get a bit of extra damage by weilding a fiery while your group make is weilding an icicle.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

0 0 0
Erlwith

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:26 pm    Post subject:

Code:
Soulstone/soulgem (red, blue, white) Lvl. 50

Soulstones can be merged with captured souls and charged with their essence. Once ten souls have been collected a Necromancer may activate the stone to create a savebreak item of their choice (dependant on the original color they cast). The stone will only accept pinnacled souls that the necromancer himself has slain. The stone will purge upon death.

Red - Maledictive
Blue - Afflictive
White - Mental

A necromancer who has mastered soul capture will capture the very essence of the soul, and with the mastered soulstone spell will be better equipped to imbue the stone. When a necromancer imbues the stone in this way (100% soulstone and 100% soul capture) the stone will be imbued with enhanced damage properties (+1 damroll).

The item would be random savebreak from 10-13? This way, gambling is still the best way to get a savebreak item, and rottdeath, lvl 50 req., 10 souls, etc. makes it less commonplace.

0 0 0
Xerties

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:58 pm    Post subject:

Another idea with the wands/spells in general. Maybe there could be some sort of relationship akin to 'duet' where if person A uses icicle, person B uses flame arrow, then they combine somehow and do extra damage.

So we've got several ideas going here, what do you think?

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: