Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

monster score

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nakachi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 4:41 pm    Post subject: monster score

I've been thinking about it for a while, and think it would be kind of cool and interesting to have 'Monster Score'. It could tell you how many total monsters you have slain, special bosses(All the ones from Dal Kadar, TOUGH ones like that), and... any other suggestions that people may have if this seems like something cool.

edit:
it could be a separate command(scm). Also, there could be a special 'monster reward' that is like the quest reward after killing so many monsters. And.. other events such as person to kill the monsters in a week..month..etc..
A rule could be that the players must slay a monster like.. 5 or less levels below them for it to count.. Any monster above them counts also

Last edited by Nakachi on Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:04 pm; edited 2 times in total

0 0 0
Xerties

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:46 pm    Post subject:

I like it.

0 0 0
Jamus

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:08 pm    Post subject:

So do I, but I have a feeling that davairus or burzuk is going to shut it down within the next couple posts.

0 0 0
crazyhorse

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:32 pm    Post subject:

Why should it be put in? What is its purpose? 'To be cool'?

0 0 0
Nakachi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:37 pm    Post subject:

Well, it would probably add to how much time players spend in the game. when there is no one to rank with, go kill monsters and get those totals up! It also adds another form of competition rather than how well you can be pk. Someone who isn't good at pking, but has a great character for killing Mobs would love this.

0 0 0
crazyhorse

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:50 pm    Post subject:

Maybe I'm just a pk kinda guy...cuz that does not sound appealing at all.

0 0 0
La_PaRCa

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:26 pm    Post subject:

Maybe this could be tied in with guild points in some manner. Apart from getting guild points for just putting in the time, you could get guild points for killing some of the hard mobs, or just sheer killing everything that moves.

0 0 0
Esura

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:05 pm    Post subject:

The sheer killing everything that moves => guild points thing sounds a little silly. Do I go down to the hobgoblin mines in the gnome village and just windmill a whole bunch? Sounds boring.

Recording how many mobs you've killed sounds really easy to code though, and since some people seem to think it's a good idea, I have no objections to that.

0 0 0
Mummy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:07 pm    Post subject:

Esura wrote:
The sheer killing everything that moves => guild points thing sounds a little silly. Do I go down to the hobgoblin mines in the gnome village and just windmill a whole bunch? Sounds boring.

I tend to agree, but if you want to try to slip it past the dynamic duo, go ahead....

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:06 am    Post subject:

If you turn our ideas forum into an "us vs them" thing, then you can be sure the suggestions won't get anywhere because:

1) If you don't allow people to communicate differences of opinion, nothing is going to get worked out. (i.e. you'll accuse anyone who disagrees of just sucking up to the Imms)
2) You're not going to be bothered to go the extra mile and work on it properly if you aren't giving it a chance of getting in the game.

So I do recommend you cease doing that.

0 0 0
Davor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:29 am    Post subject:

Why would this be put in, or to what end is beyond me. Sheer number of the mobkills serves no game purpose(ie stuff you see in score is very much needed) and gives incentive (to the bizzare part of playerbase) for nonimmersive and most certainly nonproductive player behaviour (farming mobs just to rack up kills... dunno why would someone do it... but knowing AR somebody would).

Useless data. Rather have imms put to some nobler work like Viggs's hellstreaming thieves...

0 0 0
marsd

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:38 am    Post subject:

Quote:
edit:
it could be a separate command(scm). Also, there could be a special 'monster reward' that is like the quest reward after killing so many monsters. And.. other events such as person to kill the monsters in a week..month..etc..
A rule could be that the players must slay a monster like.. 5 or less levels below them for it to count.. Any monster above them counts also

Lets follow some unspoken forum ethics of not editing after someone already posted a reply to your first post.. well reason being, if I didn't scroll down to read the past posts in Reply's Topic Review I'd have completely missed the edit.

Back to thread.. I don't really think this is a good feature to add - kills can rack up in the thousands. Then having moblevel restrictions would just make the count invalid, because it won't be consistent. At 50 you'd probably just not get any mobkill counts at all, if there are, it'd be much less than what you really killed. Without the restrictions, some lowbe shaman or dk being silly can go to Elemental Canyon and area spell that whole place to death, easily hundreds of mobs each round which would promote mob-kill farming, like what Davor said..

Then there could be this mobcount for bosses only thing going on, but, what's the point of killing Order when there are no Nimbus or Order eq on him? Very Happy

0 0 0
Grayden

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:21 pm    Post subject:

A little twist to this, I think you should have different type of mob count for thoes chaotic evils who believe they should kill every living thing in the world, and ofcourse a total for each area. Like you have killed 12 of 204 different mobs in whatever area, so like you have to kill the gnome child, mother, father, everything once for it count. Maybe some reward for cleaning entire areas, like a guild point for thoes evil people. Sorry good people should not be slaughtering the masses, unless they are a paladin in hell.

Grayden Grim of the Bloody Fields of Flesh

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:21 pm    Post subject:

Granted the end isn't very interesting (all you get is a +1 to monster kills). But he does raise a good point, that there are very little point to killing naked uniques, and we could possibly do something about that.

For instance, suppose you kill Igor the malevolent, and then you gain a "monster reward", which is a few rounds of enhanced exp from killing mutant trolls only ..Igor himself being a standard double-exp kill. Then you'd probably want to kill him once in a while, and ranking might actually work out faster fighting those more difficult mobs.

Wouldnt be too hard to associate a boss with most groups of samey and extra difficulty mobs. e.g. Mordeth with the shaldun nightwalkers. The jotun blacksmith with the soldiers. Goblin chieftain with his guards. Gorden the brave with the mithril golems, etc.

0 0 0
trance_monkey

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:08 pm    Post subject:

I'm all about rewards, that would be sweet.

I also like the general idea because it speaks to an in-character element of the game. A lot of us just play the game for PK, but the characters themselves are killing and accomplishing more than just that.

Another idea, which could very possibly be a shitty one:

In games like FF-7, you could find a secret NPC that would give you items increasingly better over the course of the game based on finished tasks or monsters killed. He would give you the number of monsters and bosses killed, and the number of times you ran away.

What about that?

A special NPC, perhaps a roaming one, that could give you your mob-score, items and/or announce a special rank (e.g., "Incredible Monster Fapper!" or, perhaps based on the kinds of mobs you killed the most, "You are a Troll Devourer!", something silly and fun. No real point, just something to boast about in character about your accomplishments. Or, if you fled a lot, perhaps a cowardly title?) and about the items... maybe little stuff, like a sack of recalls or purples at a certain number of mobkills, then maybe ores or gold, or maybe you'd just get rewards like Dav suggested.

0 0 0
Grayden

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:08 am    Post subject:

I like the idea of an NPC granting titles based on what you kill, but it should be random like what has killed you the most and what you have killed the most. For example; if the red dragon killed you, the NPC says, I can see by your burnt cloths you found the red dragon, I grant thee the title, "Crispy Chicken, Burnt Toast, ect," or if you killed a ton of dryads, I dub thee "Bane of the Dryad's woods, Mighty Dryad Slayer, ect." I think it would be funny. He would be a fitting drunken bard. (To keep the in game atmosphere.)

0 0 0
Vertas

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 5:30 am    Post subject:

Nakachi wrote:
Well, it would probably add to how much time players spend in the game.

I have an easier way to fix that, no coding needed. Get rid of work, college, needs to eat and sleep, girls and friends.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: