Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "The Assault on Taekir" is beginning in 1 day, 4 hours.

Half Elf Magi

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xerties

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:10 am    Post subject: Half Elf Magi

Any chance of h-elfs being opened up to ills/invokers? Both humans and elves can be, why not h-elf?

0 0 0
Soldier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:24 am    Post subject:

I've always wondered about that too.

0 0 0
Burzuk
Implementor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:06 am    Post subject:

Already planned, with legacies.

There's been an ongoing long-term conceptual change for half-elves: originally they were implemented as monks/bards only, but now we've been moving them toward becoming a legacy-specialized race, with the tradeoff being the legacies/training rate in exchange for exp penalty and somewhat mediocre stats.

0 0 0
Xerties

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:10 am    Post subject:

Well get on it then Razz

0 0 0
Elaedon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject:

Ooooh...Half-elves are my favorite race, I'd always been hoping that would happen.

0 0 0
Mummy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:23 pm    Post subject:

Oh goody. I always thought half-elves were unbalanced pretty much pimped for all the racial legacies, good stats, favouring every weapon.... etc... Good to see some balancing going on with this race

0 0 0
Elaedon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:59 pm    Post subject:

Uh...races that aren't great alone get legacies, and favoured weapon helps balance half-elf warriors. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't all that to balance it, not unbalance it?

0 0 0
Slade
Emissary

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:27 pm    Post subject:

Half-elf stats are pretty decent.. esp w/ the int and wis helping dodge and parry thing.

0 0 0
Smotpoker

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:21 am    Post subject:

i have an idea for a legacy for a half elf mage. its called magical enffincey(i know I cant spell) what it does is it has a small chance of doing extra damage not much but alittle more, and/or it has a chance to reduce the amount of mana used to cast spells.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:36 am    Post subject:

Slade wrote:
Half-elf stats are pretty decent.. esp w/ the int and wis helping dodge and parry thing.

fire giant: 25 15 15 16 23
half-elf: 19 22 21 22 18

The fire giant's str/dex totals are the same as the half-elf str/dex totals (25+16 and 19+22).. pretty even.. while the extra int/wis is a defensive bonus, but the fire giant has higher con for pure hit points, so he's going to soak damage up instead of blocking, that's pretty even too.

The kicker is what those stats do in class skills.. 25 strength bash/hobble is rather deadly.. whereas half-elf fighters are packing a 2 round dirt kick and a crappy bash. That's why they need their legacies.

0 0 0
Mandor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:30 am    Post subject:

Quote:

Why ask this when you already know that the Afflictive Module will be dealing with certain spellcaster-related issues, and you can simply wait and see if they're implemented or not? If the answer is yes, will knowing this allow you to play one any faster? And if not, why not just say what you wanted to say about it?

posted by burzuk when I asked earlier about half elf mages. can I kiss someones ass so I get nicer responses like the one in here next time?

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:14 pm    Post subject:

I think the general caster-related changes that were announced are much more interesting than prospects of adding half-elf mages (bells and whistles), I have no idea why you guys focus on things like that. Look at the big picture beyond your own class, the global game balance.

Right now you have warriors owning other fighters/rogues with overheads and high hp and such, which I suppose is alright. But what about ranger/ninja dual wield having offhand enhanced, raged roars? Those are a serious problem for mages that warriors just don't have to offer. Herb, blindness dust, backstabs? Nice to have against mages instead of skills that get denied by prot shield /weapon wards. Except sooner or later, "nice to have" is probably going to become "needed". With the disadvantage against mages I already see on warriors, I wouldn't be surprised if they begin to eat warriors sooner or later.. causing a change in classes played across the entire board. Moderates will probably prefer clerics (survivable against both mages & warriors, but suiltably tough to get kills with), pk'ers will have the dilemma of making mages to take on warriors/pals/dk's, rangers/berserkers/thieves to take on mages, or warriors/paladins/dk's to take on the rangers/berserkers/thieves. I'm looking forward to seeing if I'm right. Who knows at this point.

Perhaps that is why you got a curt response about half-elf mage - it typically shows a rather narrow view of the game to just propose new race/class opening without some substance to base it on. Why dont we just add avian berserkers so we can play Donald Duck character.. that sounds fun right.. but it isn't addressing the issues that matter (like mass warrior/few mage despite both 0 xp) in any way. That's the kinda thing AR needs to address before a bell-and-whistles ideas like avian berserker is even worth looking at. Last you asked, no ground into aff module had even been made I'd bet. That makes these kind of 'hey this is cool' ideas kind of annoying since you're still leaving it completely to the imms to come up with ideas to solve real problems, while trying to lump more gibberish on top. Or something. Anyhow, we'll see what happens.

0 0 0
Mandor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:40 am    Post subject:

ah, that makes sense. I didnt see it that way before.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: