Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "The Assault on Taekir" is beginning in 16 hours, 59 mins.

Focusing on skills

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nakachi

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 5:45 pm    Post subject: Focusing on skills

I was thinking about this for a while and wanted to know what everyone else thought. What about making someone able to use a 'focus' skill or w/e to focus on one skill or spell even. Ex: focus dodge. What this would do is make the character concentrate on dodging and NOTHING else. So in perspective, the chances of dodge increasing would be doubled, but while use the 'focus' skill, no other skill would improve other than the one focused on. And of course there could be a way to snap out of it, i.e. 'unfocus' or something.

edit - And once you were 'unfocused' out, skill learning of all skills would return to normal.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject:

Reflex mode already does that and I don't see its usage too popular, other than defences training.

I dunno about making hellstreams getting stronger every cast. Will just encourage invokers to spam that spell even more. Which sounds like a Xerties idea.

Any other skills that could possibly work out on? I'm rather lost for ideas. Maybe if its effect began small and grew (strike of pain), or begin high and diminished (like heavenly wrath spamming). I like those.

0 0 0
Dahlin

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 7:10 pm    Post subject:

First: Belated, but, Kachi's back!

Second: Dav, you could make it work only on skills that don't require you to type it in. In a sense, Xerties is already "focussing" on hellstream by spamming it. But focussing on defence skills or such, things that the char already does on its own once he learns it. It would be nice for clearing up those annoying skills that don't budge after you've mastered 40 other skills. You could also make the decrease to learning other skills such that overall you're actually learning stuff slower, fewer learns, but all in one skill. Not that I actually play this game any more, just offering my two cents.

0 0 0
bassball

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 8:08 pm    Post subject:

I, personally, like this idea, being able to focus yourself on dodging only makes perfect sense, its not like is something that is unrealistic, and it could be used only on skills with an automatic syntax, but Dav has a point, and he is almost always right, it probably wouldn't end up working very well. Because being able to master dodge even quicker, just means everyone is going to master dodge even quicker, and it will be like it was back in the day when you could master dodge by killing the hobgoblins in the gnome village in like a day or two, and having mastered defences wouldn't make you feel like Joe Cool anymore because everyone and their great aunts will have all their defences mastered, kind of makes the entire thing pointless

0 0 0
marsd

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 2:36 am    Post subject:

Yes bassball beat me to saying it - this skill reeks very much of making training cheese.

0 0 0
Xerties

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 2:57 am    Post subject:

I have nothing to add other than, "Sod off, Dav."

0 0 0
marsd

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 4:16 am    Post subject:

Perfect. I'd like to take this opportunity to say, "Sod off, Xerties," as well.

0 0 0
Wholesale Johnson

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 5:38 am    Post subject:

threadjack... again.

bassball's post reminds of that older TV show about the kid who's like 13 and about puberty and growing up and stuff. I think he ends up kissing that girl he "likes" eventually. And his older brother is a complete jerk.

"Everyone's special in their own way, Jimmy."
"Which really means no one is special at all..."

0 0 0
Zaos

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 12:59 am    Post subject:

the wonder years.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: