Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "The Assault on Taekir" is beginning in 1 day, 7 hours.

The return of the Warlords
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matthais

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:10 pm    Post subject:

I am finding it humorous that the game-play is getting more complex and challenging but everything else [Ranking/Gearing] is getting watered down. Alignment essentially no longer matters for grouping. What is the point of having Winter/Dragons/"Harder to get rares" if your going to have super groups of mystics/warlords dragging legion and knight everywhere. All warlords did around January was endless winter runs with Goron/Varliv and Knights.

I do not see a big difference from warlords getting spelled up versus letting keepers use rares, or letting a ninja into mystic because he can detect invis. If you want a tank that takes spells or heals roll a legion or knight. Plenty of random lvl 50 warriors/zerkers/monks that are non caballed are around to "tank" winter/dragons.

This all seems largely unnecessary.

1 0 0
xanthas

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:46 pm    Post subject:

Matthais - You've been around for awhile and you know how the Warlords were. Those good ol' days are gone. Dav, as Dav does, likes to fuck with shit because a select few whine and cry. Some folks just need insta gratification and big daddy Implementor is their to give it to them. It's the nature of our society. The needs of the few always out weighs the needs of the many.

0 0 1
Olyn
Immortal

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:53 pm    Post subject:

Have you read any of the posts by game staff in this thread? It certainly doesn't seem like it.

1 0 0
Dogran
Immortal

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:16 pm    Post subject:

It's making my eyes bleed. I see a huge difference between arcane aid and divine aid. Dav also put the choice in the hands of the mortal leader. This is fine like this, thanks gor the good work guys! (Imm staff)

1 0 0
Matthais

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:53 pm    Post subject:

I have read the thread and just because I disagree doesn't mean I didn't read it.

Many of the combat changes I really like. I remember arguing with Dav a long time ago about how equipment shouldn't matter as much in a fight and how skill should matter more (Thus the 3 silly losses to Sethronu weilding goblin swords); AR has definitely gone this route and it is awesomer for it.

I think I would have a lot less of an issue with this change if warlords had a clearly defined purpose.

I always viewed Warlords as largely, self-sufficient characters that with time and determination could accomplish most things solo. I remember being told to solo various bosses and after a few hours accomplish some of them. I'm pretty sure Ramod, and a number of others, soloed a ton more. Maybe the mechanics of the game do not allow for this anymore, but, hey, the challenge was there and that was what being a warlord embodied.

If a healer doesn't want to tank it, eventually someone will create a tank and the problem is solved. If everyone can start doing everything it takes away what makes class, alignment, and Cabals unique and special.

The reality of this is that this change is really only affecting the people playing this game for a long time. A brand new player isn't going to pop 50 and scream "Wintertime!" That is why I call it unnecessary; Its just letting people who already know the game, become a little lazier, and clear things with less effort.

0 0 0
ramod

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:30 pm    Post subject:

I've been hesitant to weigh in my thoughts on this subject, as it's a bit gray, and wanted to see what everyone else thought first.

Everyone who thinks Warlords "hate" magic, is imo clearly wrong about the ideals of Warlords. Warlords pride themselves with fighting without magical enhancements in open arenas but what others do is not their issue. Alot of people also forget Warlords is not only about fighting but about honor, respect and discipline. I don't see how a Warlord cannot respect say an invoker Mystic who has mastered his own skills in the arcane ways.

When it comes to curative/restorative aids, it really becomes a bit gray. Obviously it seems inherently wrong for a healer to be healing a Warlord during cabal warfares that doesn't concern the healer in any way. But what about getting bard song enhancements? How about healing from paladin strikes during group ranking? It's hard to draw a clear line.

The explanations that Dav brings up about restoration and curative spells seem pretty logical. But he doesn't really bring up the rate of being restored/cured that can be considered an "enhancement" in a Warlord's eyes. Ie. A berserker will rather use his mastery of trophies (regene) to heal himself then get heals from a healer, or a ranger would utilize his herb skill.

Olyn brings up a good point that this change aids in my group interactions, especially across different classes/cabals which is a great thing. With our playerbase at low, the whole silent pker thing doesn't fly anymore. Everyone will benefit from increasing interactions, vet or not.

I think it's best to sit back and see how this unfolds before we can make decisive judgement whether we should allow this in Warlords or not.

1 0 0
xanthas

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:07 am    Post subject:

It all boils down to some of us would like Warlords to stay true to their history. What's wrong with that? Change the name to something else more modern if you're going to make it a care bear cabal.

Code:
'WARLORD HISTORY'

In the early days of Serin, when magic was barely known, the warriors
reigned supreme.  No cleric or mage could match up to them in strength and
power, and they were the men that carried others to the pinnacles, providing
the only way to defeat the dangers that were regularly faced.  As the ages
rolled past, warrior upon warrior picked upon and scorned Serin's priests
and magi, giving their own guild a bad name.  The immortals watched, and
allowed the prayers of the clerics and the magicks of the mages to grow only
stronger, while the warrior's potential was forced to remain the same.
Strong it was, and balance did not come quickly.  Finally magic came to
match the physical strength of the warriors, and many of them were killed,
while more still came to depend upon the magic themselves, ignorant of their
own prowess.  The ranks of the warriors rapidly dwindled, and abilities even
forgotten, as the immortals watched uncaring of their plight.

Last of the great warriors, Diocletian, stalked the lands besting every
opponent he faced with his unmatched physical prowess.  For everything a
mage could throw at him, he would return it twicefold.  His abilities
impressed the heavens, for they knew he fought within the same constraints
of olden days, though he was considered little more than a relic of those
days, and a mortal that would die.  He knew this himself, and when he sensed
himself at his physical peak, he asked for immortality.  Reluctant to give
it, but knowing well he was a man of honor, Lord Stryth prepared for him a
glorious death.  He ordered him to hunt down and slay one of Serin's
mightiest dragons, the most feared beasts of the day.  To his amazement,
Diocletian defeated it, a gruelling fight that had almost killed him, but in
the end he stood victorious with the heart of the dragon clenched in his
fist.  As was promised, Diocletian ascended, and he now ensures the survival
of the warrior legacy for all time.

1 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:02 am    Post subject:

its in your hands, for the 3rd time

0 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:21 am    Post subject:

Nobody seems to have a problem with the Forsaken being able to arbitrarily set all Legion policies.

Why is it a problem that the Warmaster now also can?

This is not a rhetorical question. I've been getting messages from players asking to have more control over the game and more feedback. You guys shit on Davairus every time he posts on the forum lately.

Why is it a problem that the players now have more control over the game? This is literally what you've been asking for.

2 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:10 am    Post subject:

K, let me break this down properly for you guys. Maybe you will get a bit of understanding of how I operated.

The Warlords that put Goron in front of them to tank fucked up. That is bad and no matter how Goron feels about it, they were not supposed to do it. Its on them for sure. I can't just sit and do nothing because that makes me look bad too, but its been a while. So if I decide to punish them now, I'll have a bunch of dingleberries putting the attention on me for what I did instead of what they did, especially if its the delayed angry blowout I felt like. And because I dont have the time or inclination to just watch warlords all day, this problem is just going to recur.

So I sat and thought of a wiser way out of this situation. You guys can say its a California carebear movement or catering to whiners or whatever else it is you want, but you're plainly mistaken. I can see the limits of what I can do, and I can judge what our players can do themselves. One of the things they can do is follow a verbal command from their leader. Who can judge on a case-by-case basis for himself if his subordinates are undermining his rules.

Whatever Lorne wants to have in his rules, he'll have an entire team of Imms and players to help support that decision. All he has to do is write that down and exert an authorative presence. Like, lets say this happened with that in the helpfile. At this point, you'd be no longer answering to me, you're answering to a stone giant berserker who will punish you by putting your head on a pike. Obviously, I put the power in the hand of the cabal leader here quite on purpose, and I'm now also glad the attention went on me, because, guess what, I made the right move for everybody, and its been nicely publicized for me. Thanks btw.

1 0 0
xanthas

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:43 am    Post subject:

Meh. I've beat this too much even for me. You will always be a turd for allowing the mortal leader of Warlords to decide if magic use is ok or not, limited or not. You should've just slayed the asshat warlords, made an example of them, and left it at that.

Let's move on to something more exciting now...

0 1
boo,
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:09 am    Post subject:

Speaking of turd, when you see the monster Lorne fatalitying a guy on stream over getting heals, should he make that a guideline and then enforce it, which Iknow he wants to, you won't be just like "huh yeah, guess dav was right", what you'll actually do is shit yourself in your chair then writhe in ecstasy

1 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:43 am    Post subject:

gross

0 0 0
xanthas

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:08 pm    Post subject:

i think i'd have to put on some gunther too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z13qnzUQwuI

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Updates All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: