Ye Olde Abandoned Realms Logs

Dealing with Demons 3

posted on 2021-10-11 17:51:02
>>> In this episode, Aelaldric's demon reveals more of its secrets, and Valindra and Serra continue their research. Follows The Path of Water 1 and precedes the Trial of Kali Windbreeze.

A Tranquil Respite
| This bedroom is the complete opposite of the havoc-filled
| sitting-room downstairs. Though the room is quite spacious,
| it is sparsely furnished with a single, modest bed and a small
| fur rug, both a simple white. Large windows on the north and
*-@ | east walls let in a good amount of natural light, while a
| set of breezy linen curtains ensures privacy. A small, battered-looking
| writing desk sits against the north window where its occupant
| can peer out over the rustling sea of grasses and peep into
| the garden below. The walls are painted a soft neutral grey
---------+ color, the color of clouds just after a storm. The sensation
of calm and tranquility persists here. A spot of warm color is lent by the
cinnabar-speckled flower pot that rests in the northeast corner.

[Exits: west down]
A small painting depicts a figure seated on a cliff watching the sea.
A cozy fur rug is placed at the side of the bed.
A modest, neatly made bed rests against the east wall.
A large flower pot is here.
A small white shelf next to the bed acts as a nightstand.
A news pamphlet is on a small writing desk.
A quill with a white feather is on a small writing desk.
(Glowing) A mug of hot cocoa is on a small writing desk.
A white lily is on a small writing desk.
A small, scuffed writing desk faces the north window.

The painting is dominated by the immensity of the ocean, waves crashing
upon jagged rocks at the base of a tall granite cliff face. The expansive
sky is filled with storm clouds that have just begun to part, letting
through a beam of light that falls upon the figure sitting on the cliff's
edge. It is a small figure, dressed in white robes embroidered with gold
and holding before it a golden staff that glints in the light. The figure's
golden locks toss in the sea breeze, and though seated the way it carries
itself is filled with pride, conviction, and courage.

[ DmElf ] <PK> [LEGION] (OUTCAST) Aelaldric the Unholy Knight
[50 Storm Hea] <PK> <SCHOLAR> (Doyenne) Serra the Paradigm of Water, Doyenne of Religion
[ Drow ] Xorhae the Shadow of the Day
Players found: 3
[KEEPER] The Balance prevails within the four kingdoms.
There are 3 characters on; the most on this past month was 17.

Aelaldric tells you 'Could you hear Leitha's cries of pain from Shadun?'

You tell Aelaldric 'No, I could not.'

Aelaldric tells you 'The cobbles of Valour smell of her blood and viscerals. She groped and clutched at her abdomen, barely keeping her entrails within as she limped away, crying in fear and pain as she went.'

You shudder with horror and repress tears.
You tell Aelaldric 'Is that so?'

Aelaldric tells you 'You are wrong about the elf. He is not as strong as you think he is. He constantly begs for death.'

You tell Aelaldric 'Yet you cannot kill him. For you would be left with nothing to live in.'
You tell Aelaldric 'I do not understand what motivates you. Why pain here? There is pain in Acadia, too.'

Aelaldric tells you 'I have spent centuries tormenting the creatures of Acadia.'

You tell Aelaldric 'Do you have a corporeal form of your own, or are you more of a spirit?'

Aelaldric tells you 'I had grown bored of existence and had spent decades without a host. I was searching for something new. Something special. I was about to give up my search but then I saw you, Serra.'

You tell Aelaldric 'Me?'

Aelaldric tells you 'You.'
Aelaldric tells you 'You were not of Acadia. You were new. You were special.'
Aelaldric tells you 'You were exactly what I had sought.'

You tell Aelaldric 'What were you looking for?'
You tell Aelaldric 'Just something different?'

A chilling wind begins to blow from the east.

Aelaldric tells you 'Yes.'

[ DmElf ] <PK> [LEGION] (OUTCAST) Aelaldric the Unholy Knight
[50 Storm Hea] <PK> <SCHOLAR> (Doyenne) Serra the Paradigm of Water, Doyenne of Religion
[ Drow ] Xorhae the Shadow of the Day
Players found: 3
[LEGION] The lands shall be held under the cold grip of winter.
There are 3 characters on; the most on this past month was 17.

Aelaldric tells you 'And I have found so, so many new experiences in this land of Serin.'

You tell Aelaldric 'Ah. I guessed you might feel that way.'
You tell Aelaldric 'You know, I felt the same wonder about Acadia when I first entered it.'
You tell Aelaldric 'What differs between the folk of Serin and Acadia?'

Aelaldric tells you 'The creatures of Acadia are much less serious.'
Aelaldric tells you 'You Serins treasure and covet your relationships with one another.'
Aelaldric tells you 'It opens...opportunities for one such as myself.'
Aelaldric tells you 'What if I were to take someone that you already care about?'

You tell Aelaldric 'I do not think you would do that, sir.'

Aelaldric tells you 'You doubt my ability?'

You tell Aelaldric 'Why would you rather have them?'

Aelaldric tells you 'To learn what they know. To learn what they feel. To learn what they love. To learn who they love. Then I would take my time destroying their world.'
Aelaldric tells you 'I declared myself openly with Aelaldric - why should I fear mortals of a lesser plane?'
Aelaldric tells you 'Perhaps with my next host I shall be subtle.'

You tell Aelaldric 'A lesser plane?'

Aelaldric tells you 'Perhaps I will discard Aelaldric and take another without letting any know.'

You tell Aelaldric 'It is easy to enter a host then?'

Aelaldric tells you 'Enough words, cleric.'

You tell Aelaldric 'It is you who began with the words, demon.'

Aelaldric tells you 'It is my turn for questions.'
Aelaldric tells you 'Did you feel me? When you stepped through the portal that day. '
Aelaldric tells you 'Were you aware what you had done?'

You tell Aelaldric 'No. I was not.'
You tell Aelaldric 'So you are a spirit-type of demon, then.'
You tell Aelaldric 'I shall have more questions for you another time.'
<SCHOLAR> Xerties the Sage: 'Farewell Serra, may the winds guide you to a swift return.'

>>> Serra reports on her findings to Valindra.

[ Gnome ] Annaoj Aihc the Conjurer
[ H-Elf ] <PK> [KNIGHT] Dame Leitha Dondeleon the Holy Lady, Footwoman of Valour
[ Gobln ] <PK> <HERALD> (Lore Keeper) Valindra Skitterwit the Sage of Arcane Power, Lore Keeper of Myth
[50 Storm Hea] <PK> <SCHOLAR> (Doyenne) Serra the Paradigm of Water, Doyenne of Religion
[ Human ] <PK> Tayvu the Ruler of the Dead
Players found: 5
[KEEPER] The Balance prevails within the four kingdoms.
There are 5 characters on; the most on this past month was 17.

Office of the High Herald
*| The door to this room is partially blocked by a giant
|| bookshelf, the first of a dozen or so placed around the
*-* * *| walls of the room. In the center of the mess and half
| | || hidden by another large bookshelf, is a grand desk with
@-*-*| a tall and softly padded chair. A large soft rug fills
|| the floor of the room, with a smaller mat intended for
*| shoes, so that visitors won't track mud all over the already
| cluttered floor. Two fine oaken doorways open to the north
| and east.
---------+

[Exits: north east]
A magical spring flows from the ground here.
A delicious sandwich is here.
A Four-Leaf Clover.
A glass cabinet is mounted above the desk containing a golden parchment.
An iron cauldron is here, bubbling gently.
A silver stirring spoon is on a leather covered desk.
A desk covered with soft leather rests here facing a window.

You rest.

Valindra walks in.
A tiny wisp named Hibbadibbity flies in.
Valindra waddles in, a bustle of chins and robes.

You smile at her.

<HERALD> (Lore Keeper) Valindra: 'I would wait a lifetime for you, Doyenne, or less.'

You let out a hearty laugh.
You say 'I should hope I wasn't THAT slow.'

Valindra beckons for you to follow.

You stand up.
You now follow Valindra.

Valindra walks north.
You follow Valindra.
The People's Courtroom
| Stepping into the courtroom, you quickly come to the realization
| that it extends all the way up past the fourth floor of the
| Rest. Thin windows let in small rectangles of light, which
| slowly pass over the many rows of seats as the day grows
@ | later. Several rows of fine mahogany benches sit behind the
| | marble railing which separates spectators from players in
S o | the Court. To either side of a break in the railing sit wide
| | | desks where the accuser and defender may sit while a smaller
*-S-* | stand rests against the far wall, where the witness sits
---------+ while giving his testimony. A box with cushioned benches
rests to the right, waiting for a dozen bored Jurors to fill it. A final dais
rises nearly to the first story, upon which sits a tall chair with dark purple
cushions for the presiding judge.

[Exits: south]
A desk for the accusor is set here.
A desk for the defendant is set here.
A raised dais stands here with a purple-cushioned chair on it.
The juror's box is situated on the eastern side of the room.
The witness stand is situated next to the judge's dais.
Valindra the Sage of Arcane Power, Lore Keeper of Myth is here.
A tiny wisp named Hibbadibbity flies in.

You say 'Oh my.'
Valindra extends a stubby emerald hand to her remodeled courtroom.
Valindra sits on a mahogany observation bench.

You nod.
You sit on a mahogany observation bench.
You say 'This looks spectacular.'

Valindra says 'This shall be your bench, I think, Doyenne.'

You smile happily.
You agree absolutely.

Valindra says 'We may thank the Collector for the toys.'
Valindra says 'But I am fine taking the credit.'

Heh.

Valindra stands up.
Valindra sits down at the witness stand.
Valindra says 'Though you may spend some time here.'

You nod.

Valindra walks west.
You follow Valindra.
Office of the High Herald
*| The door to this room is partially blocked by a giant
|| bookshelf, the first of a dozen or so placed around the
*-* * *| walls of the room. In the center of the mess and half
| | || hidden by another large bookshelf, is a grand desk with
@-*-*| a tall and softly padded chair. A large soft rug fills
|| the floor of the room, with a smaller mat intended for
*| shoes, so that visitors won't track mud all over the already
| cluttered floor. Two fine oaken doorways open to the north
| and east.
---------+

[Exits: north east]
A magical spring flows from the ground here.
A Four-Leaf Clover.
A glass cabinet is mounted above the desk containing a golden parchment.
An iron cauldron is here, bubbling gently.
A silver stirring spoon is on a leather covered desk.
A desk covered with soft leather rests here facing a window.
Valindra the Sage of Arcane Power, Lore Keeper of Myth is here.
A tiny wisp named Hibbadibbity flies in.

Valindra rummages around in her pouches before looking up grimly.
Valindra says 'We may need more essence of the wisp.'

You say 'My home has many.'

Valindra whispers to you 'I have used it to coax the Collector.'
You tell Valindra 'She eats them?'
Valindra whispers to you 'And drawn some conclusions I would like to share with you.'

You nod.

Valindra looks around furtively as she strains as close to Serra as she can reach.

Serra leans down to listen.

Valindra whispers to you 'She knew the demon's name--the same it provided you.'

You bat your eyelashes.
Serra mutters slowly 'She knows...it?'

Valindra whispers to you 'I fed her 13 wisp essences to keep her speaking on the topic.'
Valindra whispers to you 'But -- I do not think it was Her.'

You ponder the question.

Valindra continues, almost breathlessly.
Valindra whispers to you 'As I have said before, her eyes flash red, and her voice . . . changes. Guttural. Harsh.'

Brrrrrrrrr.

Valindra does not quite wring her hands, but the impetus is there as she continues her furious recitation.
Valindra says 'It said . . . she implied a connection to the wisps.'
Valindra says 'I think they use their portals.'

You nod.
You say 'Aelaldric's demon said it entered through the one I opened.'

Valindra says 'She told me they taste like 'a little big of magic, a little big of sugar, and a lot of power.''

You say 'I see...'

Valindra whispers to you 'It said . . . Serra, it told me that Acadia was not the first world they've found and that Serin will not be the last.'

You frown disapprovingly.

Valindra collapses somewhat dramatically into Serra's lap.

You say 'I have also news to share with you.'
You say 'I spoke again with Aelaldric's demon.'
You mull over the idea at hand, asking for patience.

Valindra opens an eye to spy Serra before sitting up awkwardly.

You say 'He said he has lived centuries in Acadia. And I have ascertained he is the form of demon that is a spirit, without a body of its own.'

Valindra nods.

You say 'I have put our interaction into the eighth booklet.'

Valindra nods tremulously, her chins wobbling.

You say 'He stopped responding to me after I stated the last.'

Valindra nods at you in agreement.
Valindra whispers to you 'I worry of what might be to come, Doyenne.'

Serra nods slowly.

Valindra says 'The Collector told me that Soldiers love to break the pride of elves.'
Valindra whispers to you 'But I do not think that I was speaking to a Soldier.'

You say 'Demon generals...'

Valindra says 'Demon Soldiers, Lieutenants, and . . . Princes, she said, the first time we spoke of it.'
Valindra says 'I asked for a name and received only a burnt muffin in return.'

You say 'Hmm.'

Valindra says 'Oh!'

You peer around yourself intently.

Valindra clutches an imaginary necklace as she recollects more.
Valindra whispers to you 'I almost forgot -- perhaps important . . .'
Valindra whispers to you 'I asked what to avoid . . . to prepare for its arrival.'
Valindra whispers to you 'And it said the Knights . . . and 'that awful light of theirs.''
Valindra looks around furtively.

You say 'For the arrival of the Prince?'

Valindra nods, chins wobbling.

You frown disapprovingly.

Valindra whispers to you 'After it told me that Acadia was not the first and that Serin not the last.'

You say 'I am afraid for Serin.'

Valindra whispers to you 'But does it see in my heart? Does it know I dissemble? I only wish to aid the Collector in shedding this . . . monster.'

Ascribing an age to this little goblin witch might prove difficult:
though her eyes appear milky, the rest of her features dissolve into folds
of flesh indistinguishable from each other as wrinkles or fat creases. Her
hair, the whitish yellow of pus pushing against the skin, flickers around
her small if bulbous frame, animated by a fool's wind or some other lesser
cantrip. She herself could be cast from an emerald were her complexion
brighter: not the green of living things, but the green of living things
unaccustomed to catching and reflecting light. A variety of worn pouches
dangles from her waist, bone protuberances peeking from some, others whose
contents remain a mystery.
She has travelled quite a lot.
Valindra is in excellent condition.

You say 'I hope it does not. And I hope you are able to protect yourself against it.'

Valindra steels herself a little, clambering from your lap and drawing up her full, inconsiderable height.
Valindra gets a fragile crystal ball from a satchel embroidered with the crest of Heralds.
Valindra puts a fragile crystal ball on a leather covered desk.
Valindra sits down at a leather covered desk.
Valindra gets a "Mama Vev's specialty" meatless muffin from a satchel embroidered with the crest of Heralds.
Valindra puts a "Mama Vev's specialty" meatless muffin on a leather covered desk.
Valindra lines up the muffin next to the fragile crystal ball, and a small flame kindles in the latter, reflecting curious shapes.

Serra observes the ritual intently.

Valindra stares into the flame until her eyes turn white. She says nothing for several long moments.
Valindra slams her fist down upon the desk, and both the ball and the muffin jump. Her eyes regain their pupils.

Serra jumps as well, startled.

Valindra says to you 'More are coming, Doyenne. We must be ready.'

You say 'What did you see?'
You say 'Ahh, no...'

Valindra comes from around the desk, an invisible breeze tossing her white hair with its invisible fingers.

You say 'We must find a way to turn them back.'

Valindra says 'I worry about traveling to Acadia. Do we simply open for them another door?'

You say 'If they wait for a portal to open, we cannot risk crossing through.'

Valindra nods at you in agreement.

You shudder at the horror and repress tears.

Valindra whispers to you 'But the gods are not omniscient, only approaching omnipotent. They spy on us, I think, but only when they set themselves to. We must be cunning.'

You tell Valindra 'Indeed...'

Valindra whispers to you 'Though I do not know what tools a demon in a god suit avails itself of. Too many questions and only the wind in my ear.'

You tell Valindra 'I fear, still. The Castle is but a shadow of what it once was. Leitha tries but she is far from the Knights I knew.'

Valindra says 'Do they have a light, Doyenne?'

You tell Valindra 'There are other Paladins, but every single one of them could fall to the darkness with a misstep.'

Valindra stops using the Light of Immortal Favor.
Valindra lights the Light of Immortal Favor.
Valindra tells you 'Do we offer them an army as we try to build our own?'
Valindra says 'Or did the prince speak in metaphor?'
Valindra gets a fragile crystal ball from a leather covered desk.

You say 'They have the God of Sun at their backs.'

Valindra snatches the ball from her desk in frustration, her stubby fingers almost dropping it in her haste. She takes more care as she tucks it into a dangling pouch.
Valindra nods at you in agreement.
Valindra says 'I had another thought--about Solmundi.'
Valindra says 'You say he is . . . different?'

You nod.

Valindra chews her words meaningfully.
Valindra says 'Do you think . . . ?'

You say 'He now follows the Lord of Blood.'

Valindra whispers to you 'Could the Implementor aid the demons? Allowing them access to the pantheon of minor deities?'
Valindra says 'Drat, Serra!'
You tell Valindra 'I do not know.'

Valindra looks in the iron cauldron.
Valindra puts a Kitten eye cookie in the iron cauldron.

You say 'Leitha is already beseiged on all sides by the mundane evils of Serin.'
You say 'To think she will face an additional onslaught of demons from Acadia... I do not think she would survive it.'
You say 'I will stand with her, as needed, but I am weak, too.'

Valindra says 'I am a wicked little witch with a tenuous grasp on reality. I fear what is to come.'

You say 'Ilromie will stand with us. I daresay we could summon most of the Consortium. But we are not trained warriors.'
You say 'Our strength is in study.'
You say 'Perhaps the Warlords would stand with us.'
You say 'They seek challenge.'

Valindra nods, her chins wobbling.

You say 'And the Keepers who seek to protect the nature of Serin.'

Valindra says 'I have felt a strange power when we conjure together--you, Ilromie, and I . . . perhaps our coven can act as the realm demands of us.'

You nod.
You say 'I will do whatever I can.'

Valindra says 'Should I seek the prince again?'

You shudder at the horror and repress tears.
You say 'Be careful. And not too eager... I fear he will try to infiltrate you.'

Valindra shivers, every bit of her wobbling now.

You say 'We must find a way to stop them... Aelaldric wrote there is a way...'

Valindra taps one of her pouches and looks at Serra meaningfully.

You say 'I wish I knew the Immortals better.'

Valindra says 'Well, it seems soon you will have your wish.'

You say 'I mean, to know how they would react to demon invasion.'

Valindra nods at you in agreement.
Valindra whispers to you 'I think . . . I think the Collector would want the prince expelled from her? Or is that naive? She seems to not know the presence within her, ignorant to our conversations.'

You tell Valindra 'What would happen if she learned?'

Valindra tells you 'I do not know.'
Valindra says 'Perhaps we can stop by your house for some essence?'

You nod.

A Secret Garden
| A small, lush paradise of vegetation surrounds you suddenly
| as you exit the back door of the lodge. Your eyes are first
| drawn to a blue marble sculpture of a lyre, standing as tall
| as the doorframe, which seems to glow softly in the light.
@ | The sculpture is surrounded on all sides by strange, unfamiliar
| | plants with leaves formed like whorls and swirls that unfurl
*-* | in fractal patterns up towards the sky. Scattered among the
| plants are several brightly colored mushrooms of a variety
| never before seen in Serin. Small, strange, winged creatures
---------+ flit here and there, flickering into and out of existence
as if dipping into and out of a bowl of water - only the water is this earthly
plane. Toward the northeast corner of the garden, behind the privacy of a wall
of ferns, is a small pool bordered with a neat row of translucent agate stones.
The entire garden is walled in by a row of protective hedges which tremble as
if sentient as you approach. The sky opens up in an endless expanse above, stretching
far north across the windswept meadows. The gleaming walls, buildings and monuments
of the city of Valour can be seen to the northeast and beyond it, a haze of
curious white mist.

[Exits: south]
A blue marble sculpture of a lyre centers the garden.
A large flower pot is here.
A metal chest sits here.
Some thick bronze gloves is on a mushroom bench.
A huge, iridescent purple mushroom looks almost like a bench.
A holy beacon of light illuminates the ground here.
Valindra flies in.
A tiny wisp named Hibbadibbity flies in.

A metal chest holds:
(Humming) a small metallic flower
( 4) a dozen red roses
a white rose
(23) a wisp essence
( 9) (Glowing) a wisp spark

Valindra says 'I have not been here in so long, Doyenne.'

You say 'There are plenty.'

Valindra says 'Thank you for having me.'
Valindra looks in a metal chest.

You smile at her.
You say 'You are always welcome here. Stop by anytime you like!'

Valindra gets a lot of wisp essences from a metal chest.
Valindra says '13.'

You nod.

Valindra sits on a mushroom bench.
Valindra collapses dramatically onto a mushroom bench.

You sit down and rest on a mushroom bench.

Valindra produces a small notebook from one of the pouches dangling from her waist and begins flipping through it.

>>> Sileshi asks Serra some questions so she heads over to find him.

As the nimbus of light vanishes you feel power swirl around your body.
A Secret Garden
| A small, lush paradise of vegetation surrounds you suddenly
| as you exit the back door of the lodge. Your eyes are first
| drawn to a blue marble sculpture of a lyre, standing as tall
| as the doorframe, which seems to glow softly in the light.
@ | The sculpture is surrounded on all sides by strange, unfamiliar
| | plants with leaves formed like whorls and swirls that unfurl
*-* | in fractal patterns up towards the sky. Scattered among the
| plants are several brightly colored mushrooms of a variety
| never before seen in Serin. Small, strange, winged creatures
---------+ flit here and there, flickering into and out of existence
as if dipping into and out of a bowl of water - only the water is this earthly
plane. Toward the northeast corner of the garden, behind the privacy of a wall
of ferns, is a small pool bordered with a neat row of translucent agate stones.
The entire garden is walled in by a row of protective hedges which tremble as
if sentient as you approach. The sky opens up in an endless expanse above, stretching
far north across the windswept meadows. The gleaming walls, buildings and monuments
of the city of Valour can be seen to the northeast and beyond it, a haze of
curious white mist.

[Exits: south]
A delicious sandwich is here.
A blue marble sculpture of a lyre centers the garden.
A large flower pot is here.
A metal chest sits here.
Some thick bronze gloves is on a mushroom bench.
A huge, iridescent purple mushroom looks almost like a bench.
A holy beacon of light illuminates the ground here.
(Charmed) A tiny wisp hovers here, shedding its essence as it bobs in the air.
(White Aura) Valindra the Sage of Arcane Power, Lore Keeper of Myth is here.

Serra dusts off her robes a bit.
You rest.

Valindra says 'Neat trick.'

You find yourself most agreeable.

Valindra smiles approvingly.
Valindra says 'I have rifled through all of your things, of course.'

You let out a hearty laugh.
You say 'Did you find my darkest secrets?'

Valindra stamps her foot in pantomime.
Valindra says 'I wish.'
Valindra says 'Though lately I am careful what I wish for . . .'

You nod.

Valindra climbs up to the top of the mushroom bench's cap so that she may, again, collapse dramatically.
Valindra sits down and rests on a mushroom bench.

You say 'What were you writing in that little book?'

Valindra says 'Only notes, so that I do not forget.'

You say 'Ah.'
You nod.

You say 'I wonder if you might wish to add your dealing with Vevier's demons to book eight.'

Valindra nods at you in agreement.
Valindra says 'If you wish it, I will.'

You beam delightedly!
You say 'The more information we can gather the better, I daresay.'

Valindra says 'Have you dreamt, Doyenne?'

You say 'I am thinking I may eventually shift that section title to the main...'
You say 'Oh.'
You say 'Hmm.'

Valindra says 'In all the excitement, I did not ask.'

You say 'I'm afraid I did not remember the last dream.'

Valindra nods at you in agreement.
Valindra says 'You must focus, but I understand the trouble.'

You nod.
You say 'I am so used to simply falling over in a heap.'

Valindra says 'You do too much, help too much, and it is still not enough.'

You say 'I spend a lot of time sleeping!'

Valindra tries to comfort you from her perch on the mushroom cap, but she cannot reach.

You say 'Whenever I am aiding others with hunting or adventures, I spend much of my time sleeping in my tent.'
You say 'But in the middle of action it is difficult to have a restful enough sleep to dream.'

Valindra says 'Do you wish me to include a recollection of the first conversation with the Collector?'
Valindra nods at you in agreement.

You say 'Any information you are willing to share.'

Valindra says 'Naps, only, to regenerate your body . . . such is not for divination.'

You say 'Though if one could multi-task...'
You sigh.

Valindra says 'I do not have a record of the very first, sadly, where declined to attend our seance once I told her of our target.'
Valindra clears her throat as she fumbles some of her words.
Valindra says 'But -- that is the first time she expressed displeasure at stirring a Knight.'

You say 'Hmm.'
You nod.

Valindra says 'I even offered to let her eat Olgarda, and she seemed . . . tempted.'

You say 'If you can simply make a short summary of it that would likely suffice.'

Valindra says 'Perhaps a dramatic retelling! But who will play me?'
Valindra eyes Hibbadibbity askance.

Heh.

Valindra says 'She ate Hibba several times that day.'

You say 'If for karmic justice, perhaps the cat.'
You let out a hearty laugh.

Valindra considers this seriously before suppressing a giggle.

You say 'Poor little wisp. Yet she reappears... regenerates?'

Valindra's eyes drift away as she gazes meaningfully at the lyre.

A blue marble sculpture of a lyre centers the garden.

This stunningly detailed sculpture of a lyre irresistibly draws the gaze.
The marble it is carved from is almost ethereal with a pale milky color and
ribbons of deep indigo, teal and cerulean running throughout. The strings
are made of fine golden filigree and hum warmly as a sudden zephyr brushes
by, filling you with peace.

You say 'This I commissioned in remembrance of Sir Alkas.'

Valindra nods, her chins wobbling.
Valindra says 'I read his fortune once. He was . . . kinder than some.'

You nod.
You say 'My home has somehow become a memorial of the last generation of Knights.'
You sigh.

Valindra strains to offer comfort again -- but those stubby little goblin arms!

You smile at her.

Valindra says to you 'A new generation will rise.'

You nod.

Valindra says to you 'I hope . . . a thing I did not see myself saying.'

You chuckle politely.
You nod.

Valindra looks down at her notebook, splayed as it is on the mushroom cap.

You say 'I only wish I had the inspiration and wisdom they did. I wish at least one of them had stayed...'

Valindra says to you 'Should I edit the bits about the trial out?'

Serra peers over Valindra's shoulder at the notebook.
You say 'If we are compiling a separate work on the trial, perhaps we can keep the two books distinct.'

Valindra nods at you in agreement.
Valindra says 'That is my feeling too--though it seems fated that the two intersect.'

You say 'Curiously enough. Yet Kali is not infected by a demon, and none at the proceedings save perhaps the Collector, if she observes.'

Valindra nods at you in agreement.
Valindra says 'Though I have my suspicions about Solmundi.'
Valindra says 'We must watch the eyes, I suppose.'

You say 'Ah, indeed.'

Valindra says 'Eye contact with a god . . . how troublesome.'

You let out a hearty laugh.
You say 'They are sometimes terrifying.'

Valindra says 'I could not look upon the Implementor of Blood, only askance and at angles.'
Valindra says 'At least this trial will be ripe for opportunities for you to query divinity.'

You say 'I should not like to derail the proceedings.'
You say 'I would speak with them after, perhaps.'

Valindra says 'Of course not. I would not allow it!'
Valindra smiles wickedly, though she scrunches her nose.

You smile at her.
You say 'You will be a splendid judge.'

Valindra strains to reach the sandwich, nearly toppling from the mushroom bench.
Valindra gets a delicious sandwich.
Valindra eats a delicious sandwich.
Valindra says 'I hope so.'
Valindra says 'Much is at stake.'

You nod.

Valindra speaks in a stage whisper that echoes around the room.
Valindra whispers to you 'And if I had to rename the Chimera . . . would I have the nerve?'

You say 'Would you set his name in stone? Or would you let him select his own?'

Valindra says 'I do not rightly know.'
Valindra says 'The former seems . . . kinder, but am I kind? Are the gods? Would they approve?'
Valindra says 'The Implementor is out for Blood. That is always his tribute, yes. Yet I worry.'

You nod.

Valindra nearly topples headfirst into the spring from the cap, but Hibbadibbity helps right her at the last moment.
Valindra says 'In this, again, your counsel is invaluable to me.'

You say 'I suspect Lord Davairus will have his own ideas about the punishments to be laid.'
You say 'Yet as Judge, you have the right to determine the severity of them.'

Valindra says 'That is part of the farce, yes. For I am the judge, we shall set the jury, but who shall be the executioner?'

You say 'An excellent question.'

Valindra whispers to you 'I think of names for the Implementor whispered such to me. Perhaps it would satisfy. Who can say? Only the wind.'
You tell Valindra 'He asks you to provide the names? Ah, interesting.'
Valindra tells you 'No--only the letter you likely read.'
Valindra tells you 'Where he mentioned names or a banishment.'

You nod.
You tell Valindra 'I too sought an audience with him, to see whether he would allow Kali to become my student.'

Valindra whispers so loudly, the neighbors might hear.

You tell Valindra 'He said he would allow it as long as Kali was forced to choose a new name.'

Valindra whispers to you 'The power of a name.'

You nod.
You tell Valindra 'My thoughts exactly.'

Valindra whispers to you 'Is this conicidence? When we have that of a demon in our grasp?'

You tell Valindra 'Who can say?'

Valindra tells you 'Only the wind.'
Valindra studies her notebook with a tiny, furrowed brow.

Serra gazes at the lyre, which hums in a sudden breeze.

Valindra's eyes follow Serra's. Her hair billows a little.

You say 'Here, even here, she is listening.'

Valindra looks around furtively.

The wind picks up for a moment.

A tiny wisp named Hibbadibbity nestles closer to Valindra as the wind gains in force.

Serra comforts the fuzzars as they tumble about, alarmed.

A peaceful aura floods forth as you close your eyes.

Valindra nearly tumbles from the cap.
Valindra clambers back up.

You ponder the question.
You say 'I wonder...'
You tell Valindra 'Ilromie, you and I all have the power to oversee. If any of us is faced with a demon, we may be able to share our thoughts with each other through it, without the demon's detection.'

Valindra tells you 'A clever thought indeed.'
Valindra tells you 'Doyenne--'
Valindra tells you 'If I ever ask you if you've felt the earth move, request to oversee me.'

You tell Valindra 'Indeed.'

Valindra says 'I have wondered of late . . . if we could free . . . Ilromie's flame.'

You say 'Is it captured?'

Valindra says 'She said something off handedly to me . . . perhaps you were there?'
Valindra says 'That her tutors discouraged her from her innate tendency . . . because the threat of destruction was too great.'
Valindra says 'So she studied earth instead.'

You say 'I did not know of this.'
You say 'I have seen her holding a flame many times...'

Valindra says 'I have seen her divine it myself.'
You say 'Earth, water, fire... and air.'

You chuckle politely.

Valindra points her stubby finger toward you.
Valindra says 'And spirit.'
Valindra says 'You are the Paradigm of Water, but your spirit, Doyenne . . .'
Valindra says 'Your body barely contains it.'
Valindra blinks as a toad might.
Valindra looks askance to Hibbadibbity.
Valindra says 'Trust me. I know.'

You chuckle politely.
You say 'It is true, my body is getting rather decrepit.'

Valindra says 'I did not mean such . . .'
Valindra says 'Only that I wonder what you looked like before this.'
Valindra says 'I see a crackling aura with veins of gold.'

An Immortal gives you a fluffy donut.
An Immortal says 'And sugar.'
Kedaleam slowly fades into existence.

You say 'Is it... Lord Kedaleam!'
You stand up.
You bow before him.

Valindra looks around furtively, nearly toppling from her mushroom cap.
Valindra stands up.
Valindra does fall this time, and at the feet of Kedaleam.

Kedaleam gives a fluffy donut to Valindra.

You say 'I am ever so glad to see you, my Lord.'

Valindra sits down on the ground.

Kedaleam says 'Apparently we have a handful of subjects to touch base on.'

A tiny wisp named Hibbadibbity flutters about the garden before alighting upon Kedaleam's head.

You nod.

Valindra stands up.
Valindra dusts herself off, preening a little.

You say 'We do indeed, and so many stories swirling about.'
You smile at her.

Kedaleam says 'So many stories?'
Kedaleam says 'Aside from the usual?'
Kedaleam chuckles politely.

Valindra lowers her eyes, though she tries to spy Kedaleam out of the corner.
Valindra looks at Kedaleam.

You let out a hearty laugh.
You say 'Many new ones.'

Kedaleam chuckles politely.

You say 'But what would you like to discuss first?'

Valindra scurries over to Serra, whom she ducks behind.

Kedaleam says 'Let's go with what you see to be the most pressing. I don't have the greatest amount of time.'

You nod.
You say 'I have written to you regarding Kali, whom I believe could be a worthy student.'

Valindra says 'I shall be the judge of that!'
Valindra clamps a stubby emerald hand over her mouth.

You say 'Of late, Valindra has been appointed to take him to trial - the trial he was denied before his original sentencing.'

Kedaleam says 'I guess I'm curious as to why someone who has spoken so ill of me in the past wishes my guidance now?'

You say 'He is faced with two paths. One, to be damned forever, and one to renounce his tempestuous ways.'
You say 'He does not wish to be damned.'

Valindra says 'Does the Sovereign of Law wish to provide evidence? There will be muffins.'
Valindra nods encouragingly, her chins wobbling.

You say 'I believe if I offer the guidance of Water, he will not relapse.'
You say 'If he did, there is no hope of salvation.'

Kedaleam says 'Being damned for defending a loved one seems like a terrible situation.'

You say 'It is indeed. and moreso knowing the one who caused it has so easily turned his back on the Light.'
You say 'And on you, my Lord.'

Kedaleam nods in enthusiastic agreement with you.

Valindra creeps surreptitiously from behind Serra's leg.

Kedaleam chuckles at Valindra's joke.

Valindra gets curly judge hair from a satchel embroidered with the crest of Heralds.

You tell Valindra 'This is exactly why I cannot be an impartial member of the jury.'

Valindra removes a wide brimmed hat from her head.
Valindra's hair twists up into powdered curls.
Valindra twirls, and to great effect, in her judge drag.

Kedaleam says 'Quite ready to be the judge indeed.'

Valindra says 'We shall see what is worse, for the Implementor may seek a new name!'
Valindra says 'A new path, a new name--almost tidy, wouldn't you say, Sovereign of Law?'
Valindra's hair uncurls and the powder fades away, revealing her original color.
Valindra wears a wide brimmed hat on her head.
Valindra puts curly judge hair in a satchel embroidered with the crest of Heralds.
Valindra retreats behind Serra almost sheepishly.

Kedaleam says 'Very true.'
Kedaleam says 'Do we have a date for this trial?'
Kedaleam says 'You'll have to forgive me, my desk is quite littered with scrolls.'

You let out a hearty laugh.

Valindra shakes her head, though she is barely visible.

You say 'I believe we are still seeking a jury member, is that right?'

Valindra says to Kedaleam 'We await word from the Chimera before we set the date officially, and then confirmation of the jury.'

You nod.

Kedaleam says 'Ahh... The jury will be the hard part.'
Kedaleam says 'I feel most people have a particular interest in it, one way or another.'

Valindra says, in her best imitation of the Duchess Ilromie Illistarre, 'In fact, it is almost complete!'

Kedaleam smirks.

You nod in enthusiastic agreement with Valindra.
You say 'We have been seeking those who do not have much knowledge of his case.'

Valindra nods, chins wobbling.

Kedaleam agrees absolutely.

Valindra says 'I await a conversation with Pauwyr Rauwyr and Wylsin Plindane . . . and, at the behest of Mama--I mean the Collector--that dirty bird, Villidan.'

You let out a hearty laugh.

Kedaleam nods.

Valindra sniffs rather censoriously, ducking behind Serra once more.

You say 'He is not THAT dirty.'

Valindra mumbles something about birds under her breath.

Heh.
You say 'Will you attend the proceedings, sir?'

Kedaleam says 'If I'm able, most certainly.'

You dazzle Kedaleam with your smile.

You say 'The second item of discussion is the arrival of more and more demons in Serin.'

Kedaleam sits down and thinks deeply.

You say 'Valindra and I have been studying two cases that have approached us indepedently.'

Valindra looks around the garden furtively.

You say 'They are coming from Acadia, though we fear they may source from yet another place...'

Valindra grips Serra's leg with a stubby, emerald hand.

A brilliant glow radiates from your body, basking the room with purity.

Kedaleam says 'Demons of what variety?'

You say to Valindra 'I will not let them disturb us here.'
You say 'There seem to be different species.'

Valindra seems to relax a little, though she's left marks on Serra's leg.

You say 'When I was in Acadia I saw warriors, Fell, Abyssals, generals... the ones we have met here seem to be spirits.'

Kedaleam nods.

You say 'They infiltrate Serinfolk and inhabit their minds.'
You say 'They...'

Valindra gets a wisp essence from a satchel embroidered with the crest of Heralds.
Valindra scampers forward and offers the essence to Kedaleam.

You whisper to Kedaleam 'The one Valindra has seen seems to have infected Lady Vevier.'

Valindra says to Kedaleam 'Are you hungry, Sovereign? I hear they taste like sugar and magic.'

You grimace painfully at the thought.

Kedaleam says to Valindra 'I am not, thank you though.'

Valindra tells you 'We must know.'

Kedaleam ponders you carefully.

Valindra looks somewhat relieved as she scampers back to Serra's shadow, though perhaps that's a trick of the light.
Valindra puts a wisp essence in a satchel embroidered with the crest of Heralds.

You say 'Since we learned of such, we have been worried we are being watched.'

Valindra looks around the garden furtively.

Kedaleam whispers to you 'And have you seen her acting... more oddly than normal?'

You whisper to Kedaleam 'Valindra has seen her speak in a strange, low voice of dark things, with her eyes changing colors.'
You whisper to Kedaleam 'I have heard that voice, though I did not see her form. And she leaves burnt muffins lying around when it happens.'

A tiny wisp named Hibbadibbity stirs from her perch upon Kedaleam's head; opening a single, diminutive eye, imperceptible to most vision.
A tiny wisp named Hibbadibbity zips back to Valindra's shoulder.

You say 'I am not sure what is to be done to defend ourselves against demons.'
You say 'Whether or not they can be expelled.'

Kedaleam whispers to you 'She has always welcomed a bit of chaos, perhaps this time she welcomed a bit more?'
Kedaleam says 'That seems like quite the task, the defeating of spirits.'

You whisper to Kedaleam 'That is what I fear. That she has let in the temptation of darkness.'
You nod.

Valindra tracks the whispers as another might a sporting match.

You say 'Aelaldric sent me a note.'

***
[LEGION] Aelaldric: HELP ME!
To: Serra

--The words below are lightly inked and barely legible, as if they were
written in maddening haste--

HELP ME! I've taken back my body but I don't know how much time I have! Oh
gods, please! I can't stand the pain - every blow and every slash, I feel
it all! He makes me look into the eyes of those he kills - oh Leitha! He
doesn't know it but I have learned some things about him! There is a way to
expel him! Serra you must -----------------------

--After the last word above it appears as if the quill has been pushed
straight through the parchment and then torn to the right briefly before
being removed from the page. The words below are penned neatly with blood.
The letters have an awkward tilt to them, as if the quill was held at an
impossible angle. --

Hahaha. He thinks he wrested control from me. How pathetic. He does what
I allow him to do. He feels what I allow him to feel. He knows what I
allow him to know. Can you sense it? His despair? His pain? His hope? I
have found that creatures feel pain much more intensely if they have hope.
I fully intend to play with Aelaldric until I have found a more suitable
host. Try what you will. You shall not have him sooner.
***

You give a news pamphlet to Kedaleam.

Kedaleam looks at a news pamphlet.

You say 'As if... there is a way.'

Kedaleam gives you a news pamphlet.
Kedaleam says 'I would think the first order of business would be to find where they seem to be crossing back to this plane.'

Valindra says 'The wisp portals.'
Valindra blinks.

You nod.
You say 'Aelaldric's demon told me he came through the one I opened.'
You say 'His pain is directly caused by my unknowing actions.'
You frown disapprovingly.

Valindra comforts you.

You say 'Is there a way to close the portals?'
You say 'For good?'

Kedaleam says 'I am uncertain of that. They are unpredictable.'

You nod.

Valindra eyes Hibbadibbity askance.

Kedaleam says 'They disappear before much studying can get done on them.'

You say 'Indeed, they are highly unstable.'

Valindra whispers to you 'Did you tell him . . . of the Collector?'

You whisper to Valindra 'I did.'

Valindra whispers so loudly that the whole garden might hear.
Valindra says to you 'I am not betraying her! But we must . .'

You nod.

Valindra's eyes settle upon Kedaleam, and her smile grows obsequious.

You whisper to Kedaleam 'Do you think we could dare to excise a demon from a God?'

Kedaleam winces at your remark.
Kedaleam whispers to you 'We would likely need someone with great power.'
Kedaleam whispers to you 'Greater than my own.'

You say 'Or the joining of forces... the congruence of the deities of Light.'

Kedaleam says 'Perhaps.'
Kedaleam says 'I don't believe what you're asking is out of the realm of possibility.'

Serra nods with a slight bit of relief.

Valindra taps her lip with a stubby emerald finger.

Kedaleam says 'Not witnessing these things myself, it's hard to gauge the power.'

You agree absolutely.
You say 'We are continuing to gather evidence that we can better understand how to face these strange foes.'

Valindra says 'What of the other gods?'
Valindra clamps a hand over her mouth once more.

You say 'We might be able to seek an alliance with the God of Balance. For a demon invasion would certainly tilt the balance of Serin.'

Valindra says 'Is there a threat that would unite the pantheon? A challenge to the very fabric of a realm?'
Valindra quotes, 'Acadia is not the first world we've found, and Serin will not be the last.'

You say 'The whole pantheon.... I suspect would require an immense threat indeed.'

Valindra says 'I think I might know of one.'
Valindra tries to widen her tiny, watery eyes in meaning, but she just looks surprised.

You say 'If we are able to unite at least half, that would be already a great accomplishment.'

Kedaleam says 'I have to assume the pantheons representing that of darkness itself would care very little, unless it comes in the way of their own power.'
Kedaleam says 'They would likely embrace it.'

You say 'It is my sense as well, sir.'
You say 'They might even welcome the chaos.'

Kedaleam says 'I assume so.'

Valindra pales a little, a wan chartreuse.

Kedaleam says 'I'd say pursue this investigation with caution, if you intend to.'

You nod.
You say 'We must find a way to stop them. But we will be careful.'
You say 'Valindra has sensed an army amassing on the other side of the portals.'
You say 'I cannot risk returning to Acadia for further research.'

Kedaleam nods.

Valindra plucks at errant threads in Serra's costume as her anxiety intensifies.

You say 'We will have to make do by forming our own defenses here.'

Kedaleam agrees absolutely.
Kedaleam says 'Perhaps try to see if there is a particular portal location that might be the leak of these demons.'

You nod.

Kedaleam says 'Or rather, one that might promote it the most.'

You say 'Would you aid us sir? To join all of the gods of Light together in solidarity?'

Kedaleam says 'I can attempt to assist, though I know not my standing with them currently anymore.'
Kedaleam says 'Having such an important follower fall from the light may have gotten some to question me.'

You say 'I do not question you, sir. It was not a fault of yours that led him astray.'

You bow your head in worship of your god.
Kedaleam grants you a little favor.
Reputation with Kedaleam increased by 2.
You receive 1 relic of <MYSTIC>.

Serra rubs her chin.
You say 'I wonder if those portals can be located.'

Valindra says 'I know only that the Footwoman Leitha carries a catalyst.'
Valindra says 'And that I have crawled my wretched body out of several.'

You say 'I have seen them once in awhile, but never thought to collect them.'
You wince in agony.
You say 'Good gracious.'

Kedaleam says to you 'Any interest in helping to advise my Officers?'

You say 'Do you believe I can, sir? I am not the most well versed in the Law, though I can try to study it...'

Valindra says 'In fact, no one would serve better.'

Kedaleam says 'I wouldn't worry about the laws themselves.'
Kedaleam says 'I want them to keep to their paths.'

You say 'I understand.'

Kedaleam says 'If they aren't enforcing things properly, I'll likely hear about it.'
Kedaleam chuckles at his own joke, since none of you would.

You nod.
You say 'Indeed, sir.'
You say 'It would be my honor to observe and guide them.'

Valindra says 'An appointee? how droll!'

Kedaleam says 'While you are my follower, you aren't necessarily a follower of the Law yourself.'
Kedaleam says 'I seek someone I know I can trust.'

You say 'I am as ever at your service.'
You have been appointed to cabal justice.
You bow before him.

Valindra says 'The most favored handmaiden of Water, the Paradigm, the Doyenne of Religion!'

You say 'Hand...old woman, more like.'

Valindra declaims loudly for everyone to hear, though mostly just for Hibbadibbity.

Kedaleam chuckles politely.

Valindra says 'Handmatron does not have quite the ring, dear.'

You let out a hearty laugh.
You say 'Handmatron. I like that.'

Valindra says 'Then it is assured.'
Valindra smiles as a toad might.

>>> Some Justice matters briefly, and then Kedaleam takes his leave. Left alone, the goblin and the giant continue their conversation.

Valindra whispers to you 'I am a poor guest, it would seem.'

You say 'You are not at all.'
You say 'I find it comforting to have you here.'
You say 'New memories in a house full of lingering ones.'
You chuckle politely.

Valindra smiles sheepishly.
Valindra says 'You think of her often?'
Valindra does not say the name.

You say 'I must. And yet... I must not.'

Valindra says 'I wonder . . .'
Valindra says 'Time works differently in Acadia.'

You say 'It does.'

Valindra says 'How long before she comes again? Is it a thing we can know?'
Valindra says 'Who can say?'

You say 'She may be already reborn. Or it may be centuries before she walks here again.'

Valindra nods at you in agreement.

You let out a hearty laugh.
You say 'I was so naive, to think I could see her again.'

Valindra says 'Do not judge yourself so harshly.'

You say 'I was, as Solmundi said, a fool. But I was a happy fool.'
You chuckle politely.

Valindra says 'Time makes fools of us all, Doyenne.'

You agree absolutely.
You say 'I only hope she is far from the demons.'

Valindra says 'Do you think . . . she could help us?'
Valindra says 'I do not mean to . . . it is only that . . .'
Valindra seems incapable of finishing her thought.

You say 'How would we contact her?'
You say 'The last we tried we nearly let through a demon.'

Valindra takes a long moment.
Valindra nods at you in agreement.
Valindra says 'It is only that the Collector . . . or what passed for such in that moment . . . seemed so opposed to us trying.'
Valindra says 'The first time.'
Valindra says 'I do not wish to open more portals.'

You nod.
You say 'Perhaps. If we cannot hold on our own here, and if any of them can hear us, and if they are willing to aid...'

Valindra says 'We must consider it, at least.'

You nod.

Valindra says 'We must consider everything.'

You say 'We must indeed.'

Valindra says 'Take care with that catalyst, Doyenne.'
Valindra says 'I do not trust myself with it.'

You say 'I will keep it safe, until we have devised a protocol to using it.'

Valindra looks down at the pouches dangling at her waist.
Valindra says 'Did you gain any insight from Kedaleam?'

You say 'Do you ever feel as though we are riding a wave, immense as a mountain... waiting for it to fall?'

Valindra laughs so loudly that she once again threatens to topple from the top of the bench's mushroom cap.
Valindra says to you 'Only daily, Doyenne.'

You let out a hearty laugh.
You say 'I am not used to feeling small.'
You say 'Forgive me.'

You tell Valindra 'I am not sure how much of our conversation you heard. My Lord believes we may be able to expel the demon from the Collector, but not with his power alone.'
You tell Valindra 'It will take combined force, or the power of a greater god, to achieve it.'

Valindra tells you 'Whose?'

You tell Valindra 'The high gods are Lord Davairus, Lord Resatimm, Lord Olyn and Lady Vanisse.'
You tell Valindra 'I do not know any of them well.'
You tell Valindra 'Barring that, I suggested we may seek the three Gods of Light to join forces.'

Valindra tells you 'I have some experience with the Mirage.'

You tell Valindra 'Ah, indeed.'

Valindra tells you 'But perhaps not enough.'

You tell Valindra 'It would in any case be an advantage to form an alliance across the gods, for the greater defense of Serin, whether or not we can defeat the Prince.'
You tell Valindra 'If he is isolated from his army, he cannot accomplish all of his plans.'

Valindra tells you 'But how do we convince the Collector?'

You tell Valindra 'Do you know if she is close to any other god?'

Vevier, the Collector of Secrets

Elements: Air
Rival Elements: Earth
Alliances: Olyn, Zafrin
Rivalries: Vhrael, Myria, Esivole

Vevier was born in the midst of a hurricane that broke a hundred-year
drought in her hometown. Upon reaching adulthood, she made her way to Serin
where she established herself as an expert baker in the town of Timaran. As
tales of her fantastic muffins grew, so did other stories about divine
powers residing inside the motherly gnome. Soon, she revealed herself as a
blessed of Denadlyr, and immortal in her own right. Under her guidance, the
Mystics of Serin flourished with great wisdom and understanding.

But her heart was not content in the pursuit of higher learning. One year,
just before Strythoween, she felt the call of the Trickster and set off in
earnest to establish the annual trick or treat event run by the Shopkeepers
of the major cities. Zafrin saw her work and tricked her into accepting the
mantle of the element of Air.

Followers of Vevier include orphans, charlatans, and smugglers. Many gnomes
still follow her path, especially those who are quick of wit and hand. To
this day, the shop where she baked muffins as a mortal stands within the
city walls of Timaran. It is whispered that the clergy use a secret room in
this shop to devise their next moves.

Valindra tells you 'Perhaps Zafrin or Denadlyr, but who can say?'

You tell Valindra 'The scrolls suggest she has a standing alliance with Olyn, the Lord of Balance.'
You tell Valindra 'She herself is a neutral deity. Should the demon threaten to tip her toward the darkness, he might be roused to fight it.'
You tell Valindra 'At least, it is a thought.'

Valindra tells you 'Perhaps.'
Valindra tells you 'Is that why the Prince came to me, I wonder?'

You tell Valindra 'What do you mean?'

Valindra tells you 'For my allegiances have always been . . . murky.'
Valindra tells you 'Dragged from body to body.'

You tell Valindra 'Ahh, indeed.'
You tell Valindra 'I do not claim to understand the demons. But Aelaldric's demon suggests they have a keen sense for opportunities.'

Valindra tells you 'Then I worry.'

You tell Valindra 'You are wary, and that alertness is a defense that poor Aelaldric never had.'

Valindra nods at you in agreement.
Valindra says 'I shall not surrender this body without a fight.'
Valindra says 'And I still have . . . a few tricks up my sleeve.'

Valindra utters the words, 'qcandusahz yaae'.
A delicious sandwich suddenly appears.
A delicious sandwich suddenly appears.

Valindra gets a delicious sandwich.
Valindra eats a delicious sandwich.

You say 'Like sandwiches.'
Yuck, try to cover your mouth next time!

Valindra does not cackle, but the impetus is there.

You say 'I will endeavor to protect you as well, as much as I am able.'

Valindra says 'I trust you, Doyenne, more than I thought possible.'

You say 'You honor me.'
You bow before her.

Valindra says 'I am a spiteful little thing, full of venom and ardor.'

You let out a hearty laugh.

Valindra says 'But in you, I have found some peace.'
Valindra says 'Just keep her safe and out of trouble.'
Valindra taps one of the pouches at her waist.

You nod.

Valindra relaxes a little at this.

You say 'So much has transpired and I have not had the thought to write in my diary.'

Valindra says 'You must though.'

You say 'I have thoughts, certainly, but not the phrasing.'

Valindra says 'For some of us use your diary as reference.'
Valindra blinks.

You bat your eyelashes.

Valindra smiles, her chins wobbling.
Valindra says 'If Demons do obliterate this world and destroy life in their consuming, I am pleased that you will have left behind a record.'

You let out a hearty laugh.
You say 'The longest record. A record long enough to bury them all in endless sheafs of paper until they run for the portals in despair.'
You say 'I should write more!'
You cackle gleefully.

Valindra says 'A feat, Doyenne. Do not dismiss it!'

You say 'Have you read Aelaldric's story?'

Valindra says 'Part of it attracted me to you. Also your genteel manners and surprising mystical energy.'

You bat your eyelashes.
You say 'I don't feel particularly mystical.'

Valindra says 'Funny, for you too are an old witch.'
Valindra blinks again to punctuate her sentence.

You say 'I am old. I do not think I count as a witch.'
You let out a hearty laugh.
You say 'But then... what makes a witch?'

Valindra says 'Well, you conjure with a coven to defend the lands against demons. Shall we split hairs with a feather or a sword?'

You say 'I am pursuing research with my colleagues!'

Valindra says 'It only takes three, Doyenne.'

You say 'It is all in the name of science.'
You find yourself most agreeable.

Valindra says 'The Fates, the Weird Sisters, the Witches of the Consortium.'

You say 'Ilromie would protest at being called a witch.'

Valindra scoffs at the idea being presented.

You say 'And probably also weird.'

Valindra giggles.

You let out a hearty laugh.

Valindra says 'I think the Duchess doth protest too much.'

You say 'Verily.'

Valindra whispers to you 'She feels it, I think.'

You say 'It may have been buried for a great deal of time. But you help her to rekindle it.'

Valindra says 'Some men buried a fire, but we shall exhume it. We shall learn many things.'

You nod.

Valindra says 'The realm demands it.'
Valindra slides down from a mushroom cap.
Valindra says 'I must rest, Doyenne. Guard my secrets?'

You nod.

Valindra extends her stubby hands solemnly toward yours.

You say 'Of course, my friend.'

Serra clasps Valindra's hands gently.

Valindra whispers to you 'You are an old witch too; do not try to escape it.'

Valindra utters the words, 'xafe ay candusqarr'.
A ray of light from above envelops Valindra.
Valindra disappears.
A tiny wisp named Hibbadibbity disappears.

<HERALD> Odile the Crier: 'Farewell Valindra, may the winds guide you to a swift return.'

You chuckle politely.
You say 'So I see, so I see.'

Comments

  1. Let's go, demons/demon elves/quasits!
      [reply to Serra]
    1. Without reading the log for context, I'm assuming this is a metaphor for overcoming a drinking addiction. You keep on at it!
        [reply to Flinnegan]

      Post a New Comment