Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 6 days, 11 hours.

True Shot

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Past Balance Patch Thread Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
turningpoint

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2023 11:57 pm    Post subject: True Shot

Elf doesn't seem to be the ideal choice for a ranger. What if we revamped the true shot racial legacy by instead grandfathering elf rangers into the old double enhanced damage system, but just for bows. Rangers already have offhand enhanced damage + elves are supposed to be great with bows. Seems to make sense from an RP standpoint.

0 0 0
Scrynor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2023 1:13 am    Post subject:

I feel like there is a limit to how much you can tune up a glass cannon before it becomes problematic for overall balance. Bows already punch hard in the right circumstance. Turning it up more could be bad?

Running wiih the same thematic concept, what if you just made it so shields don't outright block bow skills for elf rangers or something? That would have the "best with bows" flavor, make them natural hunters of shamans, and give them a distinctly different feel from other rangers in the weapon swap game.

Not sure if that's impactful enough (or too much). Would need real PKers to weigh in.

0 0 0
Grayden

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2023 5:55 am    Post subject:

Tune it up, bring back assassinate, give bows to illusionists and drop in a deck of many things. Twisted Evil

0 0 0
Kalist19
Emissary

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2023 4:38 pm    Post subject:

idk if they need changes or not - savanti was able to kill kryton

I haven't played an elf ranger personally tho so I'd have to do that before really commenting.

Ranger in general is super good right now imho.

0 0 0
turningpoint

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2023 4:53 pm    Post subject:

Elf ranger is one of the most iconic combinations, yet they are rarely ever played. I didn't think the idea was that extreme. If only we could have someone like Kryton play one of them, who can already make a fire giant into something extremely viable and see how that goes (agreed scrynor).

They aren't very good in offensive, or defensive, but before the change at least they could lean a little heavier on their bow. Even though the change affected many, it seems like they were amongst the hardest hit by it. If there is a way forward other than damage maybe it could be added utility with bows (agreed scrynor).

The vuln damage was one of the first things that crossed my mind also, but they have like 750hp and if you're someone who can hobble then I doubt you're going to be in one of those situations where you repeatedly die to one. Hobbled with STR: 18, INT: 25, WIS: 21, DEX: 23, CON: 15 seems like good odds against them.

Bottom line is that if they weren't that great before, then relatively speaking, they are probably a tad worse now. The guild is one that relies heavily on using bows and like previously stated their offensive and defensive as an elf are pretty weak. If we aren't going to entertain this idea, then could we make them more unique or interesting in some way that is not necessarily stronger?

Not sure if you guys are anything like me, but sometimes I just randomly look at the community>players page and when I see 0's in some of the race/class slots I wonder what we can do to revive them. Right now elf ranger is just one of them that has 0 characters played. Are they not iconic? Or is it just me thinking this?

Just saw the last reply: [WORST MATCHUPS] (2022)
Kryton vs Savanti 10-1

You're not wrong, Savanti was able to kill Kryton.

0 0 0
Ashlyn

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2023 8:11 pm    Post subject:

Elf ranger is how its supposed to be. I'd like to see elves get some of the passive skill buffs that it feels like werebeasts get. True shot would be too powerful for anything but a glass cannon. If bows weren't so easy to counter elf rangers would be on top.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:57 am    Post subject:

I like the ideas. For rangers, in the more recent patches I had felt a better direction for them was to flesh out their stealth skills a little bit more, so like, rather than just buffing the elf trueshot skill damage (which I'm not saying is wrong, because elf rangers have less hp than elf warriors and they also dont have bash) .. instead of that, maybe we could have tranquilizer shots that put animals to sleep, or add trapping skills. and one thing that I think is pretty OP on rangers, at least every time I roll one, is that quiet movement is really just ranger auto-sneak and I'm not really sure why we are making that so easy for them.t hats another reason why your elf ranger wouldnt feel so great.. every ranger has what elf has innately pretty much, and its easy to train it. I don't think we need that skill anymore, as they could just use "prone" to move around in camo, or obviously roll an elf if you want light footed movement all the time. I also think rangers should be able to ride a horse if any class is going to. Its hard to see why dark-knights can mount up and a ranger cannot. Maybe they could just trade quiet movement for a quiet horse. Anyway, just rambles.

0 0 0
Scrynor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 7:06 pm    Post subject:

I've already thought tying abilities into beast call would be a really fun way to add differentiation and impose limits on fun powerful abilities for balance.

Take the original elf true shot idea. If you packaged a damage increase to true shot as
"When an elf ranger has his already keen senses and dexterity elevated even further by an animal connection to a falcon his capabilities with a note become truly terrifying".
Now you get a damage bump that could swing the hp differential with a counter and a cooldown. Holy crap, kill that falcon.

0 0 0
Scrynor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 7:07 pm    Post subject:

Wow I need to read my own post before hitting the button. There's no edit! Needless to say, I meant his capabilities with a bow. Not a note.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Past Balance Patch Thread Discussions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: