Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 6 days, 4 hours.

Watch Kalist PK via stream!

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you want to watch kalist PK from his view?
Hell yes
83%
 83%  [ 5 ]
God no
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
This is just a bad idea, don't do it
16%
 16%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 6

Kalist19
Emissary

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2023 2:48 am    Post subject: Watch Kalist PK via stream!

Is anybody interested in watching me PK (or be PK'd) in real time via twitch stream?

There was some chat about it in discord and I've figured out the logistics and have even done a trial run on twitch - it works!

Of course there are some moral conundrums to work out (ie people will know it's my char) but we can sort that out as we go - I have a char in mind that is not impactful in the game and I haven't invested 200 hours in so I'd be ok with either keeping it just for PK streaming or deleting.

To make this work we would need someone (or more than one someone) to fight, so if you want to fight I'm looking at Oct 6 Friday night surge! If you want to spectate then grab a beer and buckle up, it might be one hell of a ride!

To be clear re: "someone to fight" - do not out your character! Don't volunteer here to fight, just log in as normal. I won't know who you are but if I go ahead with this I will be antagonistic to people to try to drum up some action.

If there's no interest or if it's a bad idea it just won't go ahead.

Either way here's the channel!

https://www.twitch.tv/kalist19

Last edited by Kalist19 on Fri Oct 06, 2023 4:37 pm; edited 2 times in total

0 0 0
Dogran
Immortal

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2023 2:53 am    Post subject:

The idea seems exciting, the only problem is outting yourself on characters. I could see if you had a following, that it would be a good way to bring new players to the game or incite old ones to come back.

With that said, I would watch it if you did, so I am largely on the fence. Immersion is important, so if it was a brawl day hell yeah! Otherwise, it's hard to say for certain one way or the other.

0 0 0
BlackWidow

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2023 3:43 am    Post subject:

Not a totally horrible idea, but...

It's worth remembering that AR is a RP-enforced MUD, and there have been characters denied because somebody outed themselves on log boards or the main website. It's one thing to discuss potential character issues with the Immortals (preferably via PM and/or one-on-one), but quite another to treat the game like you're playing at the local video game arcade (perhaps that's the wrong analogy but it's what comes to mind, particularly from the days when Street Fighter II regenerated interest in coin-op arcades in the early 90s).

There are better methods of introducing people to AR... No matter how good somebody would be at the PKing action, if they can't do passable RP they don't have a place here anyway. Kalist's own "Stages of mudding" guide comes to mind when people talk in the language used to describe a stage 3 player elsewhere on the Internet. This is known as "1337 speak" or something very similar in another game I play where it is actively discouraged to use contractions or shortened phrases unless they are easily understood by people who may not have English as a first language (generally the acceptable phrases are common acronyms used elsewhere on the Internet and not ambiguous).

My other concern is that your last attempt at generating OOC interest became a total slaughter, Kalist. Need I remind everyone of the surge Kalist advertised in advance to sign up for PKing and a bunch of evils showed up and one good guy showed? From what I recall this just led to a massive gankfest. I don't encourage such measures. Best case scenario I can see involves a Warlord doing duels under established conditions or creating a Grande Royale Battle (or whatever the group fight is called)- but if you're the Warlord you out yourself by streaming, and if somebody else actively signs onto this with their Warlord they out themselves to some extent as well.

TL - DR version: Not sure this is a good idea.

0 0 0
BlackWidow

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2023 3:47 am    Post subject:

Oh, actually one other thought comes to mind: if Kalist is forbidden from grouping with others with his character (or anyone actively streaming on Twitch/OOC as opposed to a Consortium member overseeing them) then I am not as heavily against it. Think brawl mode results if he tries to group with somebody... I'm not as opposed to something like that.

0 0 0
Kalist19
Emissary

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2023 3:51 am    Post subject:

Yeah those are all fair points widow.

The forum mayhem thing was well intended but it was a trainwreck. That won't be repeated.

Yeah I don't tell anyone who my chars are and I'm sure nobody knows the char I'm thinking of using and I'd be ok deleting it after if that's what's required and if there was enough excitement around it. There's no point doing it and deleting if only 1 person would watch.

I'm also totally ok not doing it if the general consensus is that it's a bad idea but it seemed like it could be really interesting.

One thing I forgot to point out is that the stream can be recorded and uploaded to youtube so the whole battle could be there - attacking, running, killing/dying, looting, roleplaying, etc.

0 0 0
Kalist19
Emissary

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2023 3:53 am    Post subject:

Oh yeah I didn't have any intention of grouping with anyone. I pictured this as a 1v1 or 1v2 or 1v1v1v1 sort of scenario where I'd talk out my thought process as searching, fighting, fleeing, etc.

It does give me the option of putting on a 'stream delay' to avoid sniping. I didn't do that on the test run because I was asking for feedback (can you see screen, hear me, etc) but could do that in PK.

0 0 0
BlackWidow

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2023 4:21 am    Post subject:

Don't get me wrong Kalist, I think it's great to get more players into AR... I just feel there are other methods as well.

Perhaps as a direct result of my own initiation 10-11 years ago at this point, I'm heavily in favor of using the Consortium as a means of getting people more slowly introduced to the game. If you *really* want to get started on PKing though, the Knights are better than ever for that at this point if you can find an active mentor. There's nothing quite like seeing the game through another person's eyes. Xenyar was especially kind about letting me watch him on a regular basis while he was playing Valox, and knowing what he was capable of doing upped my game as well.

The real concern I have about the Twitch streaming is that it won't give a full taste of what AR is like. It would only show the PvP action fairly well I feel. We have people who like RP in addition to those who love the intense PvP action. RP logs alone don't show people what you can do with that. The possibilities are endless with RP... As a case in point, Militha was one of my characters I planned on trash PKing with but two actions (pledging to Darkhan and joining Strife) seemed to heavily define her, and these made the character much more than a trash PKing character in the end as I focused on those actions as points of character development.

0 0 0
rhovhard

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2023 10:01 am    Post subject:

I would love to see this!

0 0 0
Scrynor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2023 2:03 pm    Post subject:

Not only would I love to see it, but I think Kalist the twitch streamer would be a really fun new wrinkle in events. I don't know if Avenar has the power to just make a level 50 PC to hand over, but having an actual player controlling what is effectively a 1 off NPC for a short storyline and have that on twitch while the Knights try to run him down or a gaggle of Heralds try to defend the tavern or whatever sounds amazing. A vet as a big bad instead of new one-off mob is a really interesting twist.

4 0 0
Kalist19
Emissary

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:30 pm    Post subject:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUZ-hytR01g

I think it was fun!

1 0 0
Dogran
Immortal

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2023 8:40 pm    Post subject:

I enjoyed watching your stream, we just need outsiders to come in amd be like what is this?

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: