Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 5 days, 15 hours.

Defenses? Broken?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield
View previous topic :: View next topic  
b00mslang

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:54 am    Post subject:

As I have said so many times, training is for losers.

0 0 0
theobserver

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:38 am    Post subject:

This obsession with training is dangerous. As an Immortal there is nothing more frustrating than having a new player ask where he can find training equipment. He can barely find his guild from the south square; he has no idea how to re-equip himself; no idea how to fight, how to run, how to explore and already he wants to train. Why? Because he was grouped with people who insisted on leaving at level 14 to master those defenses and attacks. Because he asked players to group who told him no thanks, they had to train. Even without asking the implication is there that training is necessary. If he does ask, he gets told ' skills work so much better when mastered'.

Because of this, a culture and an obsession with training has developed. Guys who have been here for a while spend hours trying to get a few extra % in their dirt kicking, get frustrated/bored when their 'perfect' character dies and deletes. Their character skills may improve but their playing skills remain stagnant. They lose a fight and blame their lack of training. How many of those training dirt kick so frantically realized that it has a greater chance of failing indoor than outdoor? Very few I wager because they were all too busy slack jawed in the hobgoblin mines. I have even heard people discuss training time as one of the criteria when choosing a race / class combination.

The skill/spell system was designed to improve over use and through time. It was designed so skills/spells would have a risk of failure. I have no sympathy for people who train because they do it to themselves.

0 0 0
Vertas

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:57 am    Post subject:

Resatimm wrote:
Haha. People that are training just got pwned.

i am so glad all my chars have their defences mastered.... you guys are awesome you made it so no one can get mad at me delete, remake train and whatnot (easily) and come to kill me.

i love you
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

0 0 0
Simpleton

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:59 pm    Post subject:

theObserver wrote:
This obsession with training is dangerous. As an Immortal there is nothing more frustrating than having a new player ask where he can find training equipment. If he does ask, he gets told ' skills work so much better when mastered'.

I agree with you with the comment on being told "skills work better when mastered". I have heard this plenty over the years. However, where do you think that this comes from??? Is this some dream that new players come up with or are they just being told??? There is more to the story here. Read all of the help guides in the strategy section of the AR webpage. How many of the articles are written about warriors, monks, rangers, berserkers, and hell even mages that all make reference to stopping "before its too late" to train, train, train??? If you are indeed an immortal on AR, then do something about it and inform the masses. I agree that training has totally become too dam time consuming, however it's whats been taught from the beginning. I have seen a couple of players here voice their opinion on the subject, next step is what are you going to do about it and when will it be done!

0 0 0
Avendin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 10:06 pm    Post subject:

The most time I have EVER spent training a character in the traditional sense of the word is 40 hours. That was with my first serious (laugh all you want) character Kadric, an elf warrior Knight, when I still subscribed to the notion that you need to train. I've since escaped this foolishness and now I spend as much time as possible actually having fun.

0 0 0
Denyx

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 1:44 am    Post subject: Level the Playing Field

How about a pwipe with the new training rules? That'd make things interesting.

0 0 0
Avendin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 1:49 am    Post subject:

No, that would just kill the already small playerbase.

This is NOT that radical a change. Even the complete revamp of warrior-class combat doesn't seem that radical to me.

0 0 0
theobserver

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 5:55 am    Post subject:

Simpleton wrote:
I agree with you with the comment on being told "skills work better when mastered". I have heard this plenty over the years. However, where do you think that this comes from??? Is this some dream that new players come up with or are they just being told??? There is more to the story here. Read all of the help guides in the strategy section of the AR webpage. How many of the articles are written about warriors, monks, rangers, berserkers, and hell even mages that all make reference to stopping "before its too late" to train, train, train??? If you are indeed an immortal on AR, then do something about it and inform the masses.

That is a good point about the player written guides. That damn essay on Dark Knights had people deleting for months over a mob death until it got changed. Pretty much all I can do is laugh at people who bitch at me about training and discourge newbies when I can.

0 0 0
Louis

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 8:32 pm    Post subject:

training defenses may be nice but it definitely isn't necessary. i say if you are dead set on training a defense, at least train the one that is most applicable to you by theory. in my opinion, a stone warrior for example should train parry whereas a halfling thief should train dodge. i don't think its that important for the stone to master dodge and the thief to master parry. think about it.

0 0 0
LABruinCub

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 2:06 am    Post subject:

Yes, stop training, have more fun, learn more about the realms. If you noticed, very rarely does a battle come out evenly. Usually, one person is winning by a lot. Often times that person who is winning by a lot isn't more trained than you, instead he skillfully took all advantages against you, i.e. vulns, dirting, purples, area of combat, initiation, weapon knowledge, flight, protection, plan of attack, and the list goes on and on. So yeah, there's way more to pking than mastering everything and hoping that extra attack you parried will save your measly 10 hp left. Instead, what will happen is:

Someone's flaming bite MANGLES you!
You parry someone's attack. <~ That's what your 100+ hours of training earned you.
Flee
You flee from combat!
Someone walks in.
You yell "Help me, I suck at fighting! And I'm blinded, unsanc'd, did not initiate, did not choose to fight on an area I know intimately, forgot about weapon vulns..."
Someone's advantage's kicks your ass.
You have been killed!
Rinse and repeat... until you actually learn the rest of the AR combat system.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: