Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 5 days, 23 hours.

Most strategically diverse class

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Most strategically diverse class
Thief
17%
 17%  [ 5 ]
Ninja
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Dark-knight
24%
 24%  [ 7 ]
Paladin
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Shaman
41%
 41%  [ 12 ]
Druid
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Necromancer
10%
 10%  [ 3 ]
Illusionist
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Psionicist
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 29

b00mslang

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:25 pm    Post subject: Most strategically diverse class

Refer to title.

0 0 0
Ace High

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 11:48 pm    Post subject:

I'd have to say shamans are the most diverse class. Most people normally always try and start with their mals (which can be easily countered with gold rings and all), but if that's not working then they simply switch to good ole damage and pound/harm/demonfire the heck outta their opponent. Sanc, Protection, Cure crit, protective shield, and word also make them very livable which can lead to very bad things for their opponent.

0 0 0
Sebryn

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 11:52 pm    Post subject:

Who picks thief?

With a thief it's either:

Blackjack -> Pry -> Steal -> Dual backstab -> Flee -> Hide

- or -

Blackjack -> Steal -> Pry -> Dual backstab -> Flee -> Hide

Maybe you can throw in the occasional 'pilfer' or something, but there's not a whole lot of strategy for the thief class.

0 0 0
Avendin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 1:04 am    Post subject:

I voted shaman, but I think the reasoning behind choosing thief was that there are so many different brands of thieves, i.e, different ways to play them. There's the straight-up pilferer who runs around stealing shamelessly, sometimes without even bothering to blackjack (usually halfling, elf and gnome). There's the all-purpose thief who'll steal but who doesn't mind the occasional backstabbing (usually human and avian). Then there's the angry thief who thinks he's a warrior, picking off your equipment only to weaken you before he goes for the kill (usually avian and duergar).

0 0 0
Vines

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 1:28 am    Post subject:

Using throw with a thief can yield some interesting results. I've landed a cancellation potion on someone. There are a few potentially useful potions out there, weaken/teleport/plague?. Hell a recall potion thrown on someone probably would work. Though most potions would require your oppenant to be following you. They also need to be of higher level to be effective. Meh.

0 0 0
divsky
Emissary

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 1:57 am    Post subject:

I said shaman, though I think it's an extremely tight race between them and dark knights.

The fact that paladins are even up there is a joke.

0 0 0
Insom

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 2:21 am    Post subject:

Dark Knight beats shamans easily.

Dark knights need to do the following:

1. Determine what type of gear to wear.
2. Determine what types of saves he needs.
3. Determine whether to dual wield or not.
4. Determine which mob to use as a charmie.
5. Determine which weapons to use.

Shaman only has to :

1. Get a physical mace and a magic mace and a whip for zerkers.
2. Get a kick butt shield, preferably no rem.
3. Get saves for elves and not so much for duergar
4. Get hit/dam eq.

Then all he has to do is look, whatever the other guy is saving he tries to land something else. It is always easier to fight when you don't have to be changing gear in mid battle.

0 0 0
Lorne
Immortal

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 2:29 am    Post subject:

Vampires.

0 0 0
Resatimm
Takes the Cake

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:03 am    Post subject:

Ok, but look at the recent changes.

The two most versatile classes are now thief and warrior.

With warrior, you can disarm a shamanas shield, slap on a bow with your water arrows (high % of shamans are duergar) then pwn them hardcore style.

Warriors parry arrows as well. They get double enhanced damage with polearms (guess what the current weapon of choice is for warriors?)

And so on and so forth.

Thieves?

Counterbalance, bow, pry, steal.

These days a thief can actually try the blackjack on the fire berserker without using a purple potion. As long as they counterbalance. The berserker is knocked out. The thief pries his shield. Slaps on a bow, trips the zerker while doing pwnage with his arrows.

Out of the two classes, I would chose warrior for most exciting and versatile

0 0 0
Mind_Flayer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:37 am    Post subject:

Ninja need upgrades NOW!!!

0 0 0
b00mslang

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:40 am    Post subject:

Resatimm wrote:
Ok, but look at the recent changes.

The two most versatile classes are now thief and warrior.

With warrior, you can disarm a shamanas shield, slap on a bow with your water arrows (high % of shamans are duergar) then pwn them hardcore style.

Warriors parry arrows as well. They get double enhanced damage with polearms (guess what the current weapon of choice is for warriors?)

And so on and so forth.

Thieves?

Counterbalance, bow, pry, steal.

These days a thief can actually try the blackjack on the fire berserker without using a purple potion. As long as they counterbalance. The berserker is knocked out. The thief pries his shield. Slaps on a bow, trips the zerker while doing pwnage with his arrows.

Out of the two classes, I would chose warrior for most exciting and versatile

Honestly I don't think your 10 minutes of playtesting really amounts to much really knowledge here.

Warrior vs Shaman:
First, you gotta ask how many people other than some warlords, spend the time mastering shield disarm to make it usable. And if you do use it, protective shield effectively neutralizes like 2/5 of your arrows. Then there's the high probability that shamans will carry a couple of small bucklers around in their sack, which would pretty much negate your shield disarm tactic. Especially since they can just summon goblin guard and get another buckler real quickly.

Thief:
Assuming you've trained pry to make it usable, thieves still don't have many options. Either, you blackjack, then steal and pry, and backstab. Or, you blackjack, steal, pry, and dirt.

Anyway, the whole idea of this poll is not what cool new things you can do with class X vs class Y matchups, but how many ways class X can fight class Y.

I agree that shamans are the most versatile due to their ability to locate object(which is very useful for determining the eq of the enemy and at times, where they are hiding), their ability to summon, their choices of going either the dispel magic/demonfire/harm route or the maledictive route, or even the murder/flee/cure tactic. Their ability to cure allows them to lure enemies, and their enfeeblement also allows for another tactic of wearing out the enemy's mv before you hit your uber spell, usually hysteria. Blanket of darkness allows for some very interesting scenarios if you're fighting a mage that likes to word mid-battle, and lets you sleep very nearby in the same area without your enemy being able to find you. Weapon choice, while limited, also opens up choices like whether using a whip vs a berserker for damage or a mace for defense.

0 0 0
Rezakhan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 4:07 am    Post subject:

Resatimm brings up a good point about warriors being more diverse now, but most of the diversity there just refers to weapon/armor selection and use. The basic battle tactics still remain the same--dirt/disarm or shield disarm, lag if you can, flee and murder if you can't.
I say shamans are the most diverse in terms of battle strategy, with the option of a maledictive approach, a straight damage/afflictive approach, or a mental approach, not to mention the ability to set up an opponent with cures/summon/locate object.
Dark knights up to the low 40s are a very diverse class, with the use of different spells vs. more warrior-like tactics.
However, at the upper levels, most dark knight tactics involve getting an uber-charmy, dirt kicking, then either lagging or chasing. I would hazard a guess that in the majority of dk battles, the charmy does between 50-75% of the damage.
I remember with my first DK legion, I fought a lot of Warlords. The first group of battles I would try different spells (fireball, plague, blind, energy drain, etc.) Most of these battles I ended up winning, but with around 30% health left. I soon learned that I had much better success simply dirting, then fleeing behind the charmy and lagging, or even just lagging right off the bat and letting the charmy do the damage. The strength of possible creatures to charm, plus the variety of saves eq out there, limits the diversity of dk combat at high ranks.

0 0 0
divsky
Emissary

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 4:13 am    Post subject:

Why in the hell would you use a whip against a class that relies soley on dealing physical attacks? Do you actually think a shaman is going to outdamage a berserker?

0 0 0
Louis

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 4:15 am    Post subject:

i choose necros.

0 0 0
Amdorin

Location: No matter how much a failure, no life is worthless. You can always serve as a bad example.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 4:27 am    Post subject:

Why the heck is Druids up there?

This is their technique.

druid staff
thornskin
blessing of myria

Air blessing ------>>TORNADO TORNADO

*yawn* Do I feel like making a potion? ...Nah!

TORNADO TORNADO!!

0 0 0
b00mslang

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:49 am    Post subject:

divsky wrote:
Why in the hell would you use a whip against a class that relies soley on dealing physical attacks? Do you actually think a shaman is going to outdamage a berserker?

Berserker wears no mental saves. Dispel, hysteria, whip demonfire => dead

0 0 0
Trillian

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:56 am    Post subject:

I agree with Louis. There's so many ways to kick butt with a necromancer. 1) Golem/Zombie style. 2) Acid blast/Golem Style 3) Mal Style and many more ways to play them, long prep time..

Also, Druids are way more diverse than Amdorin makes them seem. Asides from tornado/tornado, 950 hp/950 mana with 25 dex, parry and dodge is really nice. Add in sunblast, curse of the jaguar, winter's wrath and you're pretty much set to take on any class - except necromancers.

0 0 0
Amdorin

Location: No matter how much a failure, no life is worthless. You can always serve as a bad example.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:35 am    Post subject:

Heheh, you added three more skills that they use, and included the Halfling race. Basically the same thing, only not evil.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: