Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 6 days, 9 hours.

Why did you continue to play AR after your first visit?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Pretty simple, why did you become addicted?
My friends were all playing and instead of circle jerks we took up ar.
22%
 22%  [ 8 ]
I met someone within the first few days on the game that really helped me out.
13%
 13%  [ 5 ]
I was suckered in after my first pk, pking another actual person playing? SWEET
8%
 8%  [ 3 ]
I came from another mud and enjoyed roleplay and got into a good IC conversation.
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
I didn't come from another mud however the thought of roleplaying sounded interesting.
22%
 22%  [ 8 ]
I wont lie, I was already a social reject so I lived my life through a glowing box.
22%
 22%  [ 8 ]
Kicked/Banned/Booted from another mud.
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
I had heard the player killing competition on this mud was alot better than others.
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 36

Bigbeans

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 10:47 am    Post subject: Why did you continue to play AR after your first visit?

What made you stay around? I will admit after my first pk I thought it was cool that I was killing someone else actually sitting at their computer playing the game. Before AR I had never played a computer game whatsoever besides solitaire nor had I ever played any roleplaying games but a friend introduced it to me and I still dont understand why I ever kept playing...just loved the pk..

0 0 0
Bigbeans

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 10:51 am    Post subject:

One of the poll options didn't show up, might be two but the one I do remember.

Did you hear that AR was a well setup mud with a wide landscape and many different races/classes?

0 0 0
Sebryn

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 3:57 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
I was suckered in after my first pk, pking another actual person playing? SWEET

Being that this is "after your first visit," unless your other mud was FL or something eerily similar in gameplay, how would you have enough skill to PK someone?

Unless it was someone who was AFK (or another noob), I don't see PKs on "your first visit" being a large part of the experience. Hell, half the people can't find their way out of the newbie area their first COUPLE of trips to AR.

0 0 0
Vertas

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 7:50 pm    Post subject:

Well, actualy my brother told me about it, and his friends told him about it, before i played what they did is rank up to fifteen and just train and pk each other from what i hear it was great, and the stories are kinda funny what else is funny is if you talk to someone else from ar and the topic gets on one of your specific chars, how many times they've pissed that char off, it turns off that someone i know has duelled my warlord more than four times with different chars, two of those times killing me after word... It was hilarious it turns out when your stunned you can still dodge, parry, or shield block attacks so he tried like four times to attack me I'm not sure but perhaps riposte works as well, I freaked out the first time i saw riposte block but not actually hit the player....

You yell 'Help I'm being attacked by someone!'
You parry Karidan's attack.

You yell 'Help I'm being attacked by someone!'
You block Karidan's attack with your shield.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

0 0 0
Adebaldi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 7:53 pm    Post subject:

Otherwise I would agree with you Sebryn, but since the topic is made buy a guy that pks level 50s with a level 1, it might be possible that he killed a bunch of people on his first day of playing.

0 0 0
Bigbeans

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 12:32 am    Post subject:

Well its a generalization but yes the first day I played I did pk someone, I was playing a rank 15 stone warrior which my friend helped me rank that day and told me to kill people. A good bit of people have tried AR coming from CF to see how good/bad the pk situation was

0 0 0
divsky
Emissary

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 1:01 am    Post subject:

It was my first mud. I've tried other muds, but I can't stand the learning curve. So I'm stuck here. The review on mudconnect.com got me here.

0 0 0
Vertas

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 1:38 am    Post subject:

divsky wrote:
It was my first mud. I've tried other muds, but I can't stand the learning curve. So I'm stuck here. The review on mudconnect.com got me here.

my first mud too although the only reason why i don't do another is 'cause all the rest suck, they aren't noob friendly there is no creator in the start room to tell you to go north to continue or anything like that. And Aardwolf? it sucks i tried it it is boring there is no rp and even though they have like 400 people playing it still sucks.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

0 0 0
Kailya

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 3:06 am    Post subject:

Removed my comment

0 0 0
talent

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 1:11 am    Post subject:

tell you in a week. Smile

0 0 0
Fawks

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 6:21 am    Post subject:

Vertas wrote:
my first mud too although the only reason why i don't do another is 'cause all the rest suck, they aren't noob friendly there is no creator in the start room to tell you to go north to continue or anything like that.

Yes Newb friendly is very important. Though I have yet to try any other MUDs (AR is my first), the newb tower was very helpfull, as was newbie chat. And I was quite the newb also, taking five muinets to pick up a sword, having a hard time figuring out how to gain a farrie from the catcher that used to be in north-east market square. *Fawk's cheeks start to burn bright red* If it was not for the tower I would have just given up. YAY FOR THE NEWB TOWER!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

0 0 0
Flying Hampster of Doom

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 6:30 pm    Post subject:

Mud Connector... A button clicked... scrolled down to find a cool name and Abandoned Realms sounds cool to a 13yr old kid.

0 0 0
Altheripper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 9:11 pm    Post subject:

AR was my first MUD. I took me about a week to figure out what was going on but after that I got hooked.

0 0 0
Amdorin

Location: No matter how much a failure, no life is worthless. You can always serve as a bad example.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 12:31 am    Post subject:

I got lucky I guess. I found AR as the second MUD I ever played. The first one let you play for 30 hrs and as soon as you near got hooked you'd have to pay. I think I found AR through MMROPG list or one like it.

0 0 0
Kalist19
Emissary

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 7:27 pm    Post subject:

First mud I've ever played. Back in junior high I used to play AvP card game with phostan, obsidian and some other guys. First year of high school they tried talking me into playing AR. I was very skeptical at first, "What do you mean it's just text?". But I've always been a sucker for fantasy stuff, I was hooked after playing it twice. Although back when AR was on Kharduin we had to play the AvP mud too, since AR was only up every other day or so.

0 0 0
theobserver

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 8:54 pm    Post subject:

Got beaten into the ground by two trash rared out fire giant zerkers around 15 and god dammit!! I wanted revenge.

0 0 0
marsd

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 10:53 am    Post subject:

met davairus first day in game. i just created and didn't know what to do in the room with the creator.. and was like: "stuck" there for 10min cus I was reading the helpfiles. Saw the directions in the room description and was typing like "north", "north"..

and then suddenly i chanced upon the "pray" command? don't even know how I did.. so I asked "how do i walk around without having to type north north" @ @;

And so he sent me a tell about something like "type n" instead... and so there it went, first ar day.

and then the next day in school, realised a classmate was playing AR too, so was his friend too. and so i got my best friend in, then we played for a while. ^ ^;

0 0 0
jaran
Immortal

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 3:39 pm    Post subject:

I spent hours sitting in my guild hall talking to other noob monks about dark knights and stuff - we were all shitting ourselves and saying stuff like 'they are invisible! How are we supposed to know where they are! We cant beat them!'

My first ever battle in ar was around rank 15 - me a goodie monk vs a dark knight who blinded me, i ran into darkshyre, and got destroyed by the DK.

I was terrifyed and thrilled all at the same time and all I wanted to do was figure out how to see an invisible person and then beat the shit out of any dk's i saw.

There is no coincedence that my second character was a DK called Balak.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: