Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 5 days, 4 hours.

Training Nowadays...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ButtPubes

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:16 pm    Post subject: Training Nowadays...

Um... I just recently came back to AR and tried to train my 22 ninja in the arts of parrying... I didn't parry shit against hobgoblin soldiers and I was wielding a broom. Am I doing something wrong or is training the old fashion way out of the question nowadays?

0 0 0
dashpunk217

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:23 pm    Post subject:

short answer: yes.

long answer: Dav would could tell you exactly but needless to say you don't learn much from training on countless mobs endlessly but rather on using them while ranking. You get a bigger bonus the higher ranked you are as well. So in summary, don't bother.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:26 pm    Post subject:

Misses now come before other defences checks, which is particularly noticeable fighting low hitroll lowbie mobs.

0 0 0
ButtPubes

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:53 pm    Post subject:

So is it more useful to just practice shield block and parry and go around killing perfect matches? And has training for spells changed?

0 0 0
Slade
Emissary

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 1:16 am    Post subject:

My experience: If you get rid of your light source, even the hobgoblins stop missing and go right into your defences. I combined that tactic with the usual stuff (naked + a few of the right items), had as much as like 20 hobgoblins/assorted mobs all in there, and all was well... right? Wrong.. despite all the parries, dodges, etc, defences barely went up at all. Rounds and rounds and rounds of spam and it just wasn't worth it. So, just forget about training like that.

My next char I solo'ed to about 33 or so for all but one rank, and that didn't worth either, my defences still sucked and rarely went up (average int race).

I'm assuming the best thing to do now is probably just power rank up to at least low 30's or so (hopefully tank for your group), then either solo what you can from there or tank for your group. Your defences still wont max out and might not even get close and I'm willing to bet thats probably the way they want it.

0 0 0
Louis

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 1:37 am    Post subject:

problem with training at 45 to 50 though is that trouble comes looking for you. so i guess the current model is to foster less training, more fighting with less masteries unless you Really work for it, and more dying.

0 0 0
Phostan
Immortal

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:19 am    Post subject:

I leveled, in groups, from level 1 to 50. By around level 30, all my defensives were in the low to mid 80's. By 45, they were all either mastered or near mastered. At 50, they were all mastered except for one, and it still isn't mastered. This is with an average int/wis race.

0 0 0
ButtPubes

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 6:48 am    Post subject:

I'm still wondering why it's like that, but thank you all for the helpful information.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:14 am    Post subject:

Reason for the miss going before defences change was bows I think. Something to do with combat module A that required me to recode the mostly-stock fighting system considerably.. this was a side-effect change. And some other general training changes have been to discourage botting.

0 0 0
Sebryn

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:42 pm    Post subject:

Well regardless of the reason behind the change (misses coming first), it makes sense.

If someone swings at you and doesn't even come close to hitting you, how can you learn to defend the attack? Makes sense.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Newbie Q/A All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: