Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 6 days, 8 hours.

Nobility

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Mocker's Tavern
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Malefact

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:29 am    Post subject: Nobility

Queeg has asked many chacteres about their opinions on Valorian nobility and quite frankly i've never seen the SHRUG social so overused.

So now im asking question here : Does anyone have any opins at all about the Nobility......pointless....undersubscribed.....in need of updating.?

If you have any kind of contibutio to make then plaese do so here - your opiions while thay may not be agreed with will be of geat value to in devolping good RP technique in IR regarding Queegs new role as Page.

Tahnx ppl.

0 0 0
divsky
Emissary

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:38 am    Post subject:

*shrug*

They're kind of like what mystics used to be. Except, without the mushrooms.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:50 am    Post subject:

It obviously still requires reinforcement. The idea between nobles is that they'll provide a firm backbone (economic and moral, either/or) for Valour, while the Knights are out on the front lines doing the fighting. The duality between nobles and Knights is intended to be very important. There is a system like this -

* nobles flag anathemas on the home soil
* Knights go off and fight anathemas on the front lines

Although I haven't been able to flesh nobles out as much as I wanted because I am waiting for religions to get fully underway. When that happens, they will get more RP stuff like marriages, etc. I am also thinking of ways to represent their stakes in lands, because I want nobles to be protected by the guards on their own personal turf (e.g. a noble of solace is protected by its townguards). This means that nobles increase the scope of the anathema ability since they can just walk into solace and catch you pwnzoring the mobs there to get you attacked. Still a lot of things to think about with respect to this though.

The nobles that exist have done a pretty nice job of keeping Knights equipped, as far as I have seen, but I'd say the entire organisation is suffering because their Immortal deleted outta boredom. That and a few other problems like hoarded eq, that's the usual culprit for Knights not being around. Oh and a nice anti-anathema skill. Those are all issues to be addressed and I appreciate that you are pointing them out.

Last edited by Davairus on Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:51 am; edited 1 time in total

0 0 0
Simpleton

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:50 am    Post subject:

Best thing I can say is to read the help files on Nobles. If you want to be a non-voilent civilian then they are great. However, if you like to pk and are aggressive then look somewhere else.

0 0 0
Hoarding Healer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:53 am    Post subject:

I will be one if they are allowed to hoard

0 0 0
formalism

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:04 am    Post subject: Nobles

I envision the nobility and Knight relationship as the fantasy version of the 1950s' conception of domesticity and gender relations. The Knights are the masculine side of that gender binary, vital in spirit and travelling abroad, as errant-knights are wont to do, to bring justice to the world according to their own specific world view. The Nobles, on the other hand, are supposed to be pure, chaste, etc. They're not to dirty their hands, are to stay at home, and think of butterflies and flowers, because they represent and embody the virtues that Knights fight to protect. The Nobles are supposed to be, as Davairus states, the economic and moral support.

Nobility, in my opinion, makes no sense outside the Knight-Noble relation. Perhaps Knights are in-themselves autonomous (though that could change), but the Noble personality possesses no substance outside its binary. With the introduction of religion, however, that could certainly change.

So, Nobles are supposed to help Knights whenever they can, by providing them primarily with economic support or arms (I don't know too much about the moral support, since that appears to be only a factor if the player behind the Knight wants to even bother roleplaying a tender moment of encouragement.) They could also interact with the wider world, spreading messages of peace, benevolence, charity, love, and so on, either through written discourse or verbal, interpersonal interaction.

And Queeg, you're certainly welcomed to reject my version of nobility, which might seem a bit limiting and uncreative. I look forward to the introduction of religions, however.

And to any who find my gender analogy insulting, I apologize. It seemed apt.

0 0 0
Malefact

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:29 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for all the ideas so far......keep em coming.

0 0 0
Mendek

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:19 am    Post subject:

Make me Knight Imm... Rolling Eyes

0 0 0
divsky
Emissary

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:38 am    Post subject:

Sounds like a good idea to me.

0 0 0
Hoarding Healer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 5:10 pm    Post subject:

If you make me Knight imm...I'll stop asking.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Mocker's Tavern All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: