Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 6 days, 5 hours.

Purely hypothetical question
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gygh

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:17 am    Post subject:

Is he doing damage with spells or melee?

Spells:
Mana shield- Mana shield is useful for nulling damage spells and making you a difficult target for maldictive or mental spells, be careful not to burn out on mana. Be careful to carry around purples even if you have some innate ability for sanctuary, carry potions of recall or those green potions of teleport for a quick get away (which you'll probably be needing).

Pets- Pets can be a good source of damage but shouldn't be fully relied on. Pets take alot of time to get them where they would be hitting, so imagine how long it would take for them to be able to do *some* damage or even to tank a shaman who happens to be mauling you. Invokers lack any form of blindness (unless something changed) meaning that your pet will be able to tank for an even shorter amount of time than usual (because the shaman would more than likely target you instead of your pet).

Buddy (preferably not OOC)- Buddies are very useful if you need a hand during a fight. From a RP perspective, a powerful person with good resources would have a few allies who would help for a price. Some people like to use words such as "unfair" or say things to you such as "[you] can't kill me (anyone) without [buddy]", don't let these things discourage you from using this method, they're only upset because you're more popular and more resourceful than them.

Flight- Fleeing is an excellent way to not get killed. Whatever doesn't hit you can't kill you, right?

Melee:
Using weapon styles to your advantage- use your weapon style to your advantage so you can atleast get that single "decimates" past your oppenent shaman's defenses- if anything you'll feel slightly less embarassed when you see a 3% health difference than you would have seen when said shaman cockily reports that he still have 70% of his health.

Use the damage type to your advantage- Use the damage type of your/thier weapon to your advantage. Are they a Duegar? Drown them using a water cube or filling the area with magical springs before-hand and use jet stream. Does thier weapon do magic damage? Use mana shield to dampen thier magic damage- until you run out of mana and realize that you should have listened to me earlier and carried purple potions with you.

Be prepared- Being prepared is half the battle, or atleast some portion of it. Catching your opponent off guard and having them ask themselves "What the hell are they doing, they're going to get raped [again]!!?" will keep them dumfounded until they atleast get thier barrings straight and realize they should switch weapons because they didn't read this post before hand and know that pretty much every Invoker will go around using mana shield against Shamen with magical weapons. If anything, you'll get commended for your bravery (stupidity).

Using a Buddy or Pet is also advised for melee combat.

Any more questions?

0 0 0
marsd

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:06 pm    Post subject:

Pets - tested and proven ineffective until past level 20, which means a whole lot of time dedicated into getting a pet that isn't the level 1 fox up.

Buddy - in AR the whole point of ranking one up and playing a serious char is for cabals, and cabal warfare doesn't allow multi vs 1 in any scenario now, except when flagged.

0 0 0
Lorne
Immortal

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:22 pm    Post subject:

Manashield - as far as i know, it does not block agaisnt maledictive spells or mental spells.

Pets - mostly useless even when ranked to their full potential, especially in the upper levels 40+.

Flight - won't be very useful agaisnt a shaman as they don't have any direct lagging spells, although it might be needed when certain maledictves are in effect.

Melee - any "advantage" you have with your weapon, when used with weapon ward would be nullified (as far as i know, even if you have weapon ward and your opponent doesn't, you don't get that "bonus", IMM correct me if I am wrong. I tested this to some extent.)

The best bet you have agaisnt a shaman as an invoker, is to use the damage tactic and hit crucial hellstreams at certain times. Fleeing and hellstreaming is also good, as you won't be eating an extra round of damage from the hellstream lag unless your opponent does the flee/attack thing also. Invokers, being the most afflictive mage of the three to choose from should orient their equipment around that. Damage, saves, health would be my priorities, in that order, for an invoker at the current time.

0 0 0
The_Dark_Paladin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:31 pm    Post subject:

take this with a grain of salt cause im not that good at pkilling but dude get a buddy or two in game not ooc, then gain purples (just incase) recall potions, lets your friends wait in a certian area attack the shaman and flee and make sure they chase you into the area with your friends and be sure to let him be able to scan and see you then run past your friends and when they see you they know set shaman is coming and then bam the both attack you walk in and help and they need to have purples and do lagging skills so they shaman cant run away after all of that full loot and when they start bitching just say something like "Not my fault you attacked someone with friends in high places" or some shit and they will come after you again and repeat the method soon he will leave you alone or delete (just dont piss them off so they do attack over and over and then them delete cause thats wrong) but thats my 2 cents

The Batosi

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:08 pm    Post subject:

Invoker doesn't need weapon ward anyway because he can use mace, and shamans can't use blades, so he's always at least even. That goes for anyone fighting shamans or healers.. they can't counter shafts.

0 0 0
Gygh

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:01 pm    Post subject:

Hahah, most of my post was sarcasm (although there was a little bit of good advice, if I do say so myself). There's no way I would ever be able to beat a shaman with an invoker, I had enough trouble fighting Txivenzjwo with Gygh.

0 0 0
gr8mage

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:51 pm    Post subject:

I'd say train as much as possible to hp. then use mana items, or train mana and use hp items. then mana shield, sword shield style w/ weapon ward, hellstream, flee sleep tick hell stream flee sleep tick. they run out of mana if they heal, then theyre gimp fighter, and fighters are easy for invokers right? Razz

could also train hp and wear hp items lol.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: