Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 6 days, 7 hours.

The message board idea thing (split topic)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Erlwith

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:49 am    Post subject: The message board idea thing (split topic)

I'm just curious, how come there's no form of in-game message boards? I mean, I know there's the opportunity for abuse but that's pretty relative.

It would certainly do a lot for RP.

Quote:

I'm not interested in becoming a Herald. I don't like to write stories or poetry. What I was suggesting was a message board, not a story board which is basically what Heralds have access to.

Quote:
A free message board like you're proposing could be pretty damaging to the community. People could post quests (which is IC), they could arrange ranking groups (which would be IC), they could even arrange big gangbangs and have everyone log in at the same time. This isn't even mentioning the fact that someone would have to moderate the postings to make sure everything was kosher. It just seems like unnecessary work (not to mention the coding it would take Dav), and not enough rewards in the RP world.

Eh, the message board wouldn't be free. It would actually be rather expensive. If someone wants to spend 10-20k posting something that would be immediately removed, that's their stupid business. Furthermore, a strict set of guidelines could be imposed to make sure things like posting quest info. wouldn't happen. On the same note, why in the world would anyone spend 20k to arrange a ranking group on a message board when they could type WHO GR? A last tidbit on the same note, if someone posted a note about gangbaning everyone would see it. It would sort of be like saying "you tell so and so 'Hey so and so, tomorrow me and these players are going to attack you. Thanks bye.' " I don't see how any of these things are a problem, especially since the note system could be used for the same thing. The RP rewards however could be tremendous, it could allow people to actually interact with each other on a large scale. It would allow all players that aren't around all the time the ability to see what exactly is going on. There's really no problem with bickering and arguing, I mean, so long as it's IC.

Quote:
Besides, you want other stuff to get coded first, right? If we start throwing things like this in the queue, then other stuff will just get backlogged more. It's not like there is a shortage of things to be coded - there is a huge laundry list. And I'm sure the IMP's could stop brainstorming today, and it would still take them many many many hours to code the stuff they have in mind right now. We have the Mystique for now, the content gets filtered through Torkalen and approved, which is about as good as its going to get.

And no offense, but with that sort of logic in mind why would anyone ever suggest anything again?

In all honesty, the 5 minutes it would take to monitor these boards each day in my personal opinion isn't a good enough excuse to rule out the idea completely or even remotely. The pros FAR outweight the cons. I'm not suggesting this be put in tomorrow, but it's worth a bit of thought if for nothing else to bring together those who like to RP in the lands, and those who like to know what's going on.

*I'd also like to add. These boards work, and they are on a MUCH larger scale then what I'm suggesting. I mean, every con you suggested can be said about this board as well. Yet, we all know that's not a good enough reason to not have OOC forums. So why is it a good enough reason not to have IC forums?

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:00 am    Post subject:

Split topic.

This was a nice idea in the sense that the effort/result trade-off is exceptionally high, and of course roleplayers love extra avenues of communication. Also the suggestion to limit it to Heralds is an obvious extension since if it is abused, we can just boot the Herald from the cabal, and we're back to normal again.

I have tentatively added a message board to Seringale, in the Echo Point, which is the Herald's hang-out. Its not exactly a high traffic place so I may move it later (if I find myself doing so I will probably move the Echo point into the mocker's tavern).

Obviously if any problems come up we can just remove the board. Things like this are the kind of stuff we can give a spin and see how things go, and remove them again with not muc harm done if they dont work out.

Heralds: the message board is edited via your existing "scribe" skill, just find the board and "scribe board" instead of your usual parchment etc. It is a free service at the moment, since you're modifying an existing object, and I don't see a need to provide an element to slow that down, but if you want to pay, its just one storm over the horizon.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Roleplaying All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: