Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 6 days, 13 hours.

Training

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Mocker's Tavern
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merindol

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:01 am    Post subject: Training

Anyone know if the mud has changed in the way that it's more difficult to train weapons/defences.

I've spent about an hour trying to train the way I used to back in 99/2000
and it doesn't seem to work effectively anymore.

Any suggestions would be helpfull.

Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

0 0 0
gr8mage

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:32 am    Post subject:

Laughing Laughing Laughing no you cant do it because give penalties to learning on mobs lower than you now, and if you get a miss when mob attacks you, you dont learn at all. training takes place when you are gaining ranks is their stance.

0 0 0
Merindol

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:36 am    Post subject: ok

Ok, so basicly I would have to fight a mob at or near my own level just to train my defs?

Doesn't that defeat the purpose of getting more newbies to play the game
when they have to train on something around their level? If infact they train at all lol.. Just a thought.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

0 0 0
Vhrael
Immortal

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:07 am    Post subject: Re: ok

Merindol wrote:
Ok, so basicly I would have to fight a mob at or near my own level just to train my defs?

I'd say at or above to be effective. Also, training doesn't really pay off until you get into the higher ranks, so it's probably more of a waste to try and train everything by, say, rank 15 or 20.

Merindol wrote:
Doesn't that defeat the purpose of getting more newbies to play the game when they have to train on something around their level?

No, because a) newbies generally don't know what "training" in the sense that you're meaning is, and b) everybody is in the same boat. Before, when you could just run to the gnome village with some yellow and gold rings and demon-faced talismans and sit for a few hours to master defenses, then it was defeating the purpose of helping newbies, as they didn't know about tricks like that and thus were even more prone to getting slapped around by veteran players.

The less advantages afforded to the more experienced players, the more even the playing field becomes for newer players. Though it's a small difference, the current training system helps even things out across the board. It's still possible to train similarly to the old-fashioned methods (especially with changes like the surge), but expect it to take a lot longer. The easiest way is probably to just use skills as you rank, especially during surges, to increase them.

Also, sparring with others will help since there's the "you notice something new in XXX's technique" learning addition. This allows you a chance at improving a skill by having someone else use the skill in combat against you. Training is still possible, just not as cheesy.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:35 am    Post subject:

Training isnt for newbies

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Mocker's Tavern All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: