Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 6 days, 20 hours.

Alignment vs. Ethos

View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Zealot

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 3:35 pm    Post subject: Alignment vs. Ethos

I offer my apologies in advance – this is going to be rather a long post…

This thread is somewhat related to the ‘why can’t healers be in justice’ debate, where the majority of responses centred around the justifiable claim that apprehending lightwalkers would be a breach of alignment. Following on from this, I began to wonder whether it would be feasible in the game (and within the rules mandated) to roleplay ethos as at least equivalent to alignment in terms of the direction any given character will take through life. This, obviously, applies most of all to lightwalkers, who are the only alignment expressly forbidden from PKing each other, and therefore must suffer ethos to be overridden.

I realise that the majority of interaction and, indeed, fighting in AR is based around the good-neutral-evil discourse, since this is the most obvious differentiating factor. Ethos is somewhat relegated to a secondary RP theme in the game at present, even though recent perks have been added to encourage more diversity in this respect (wild items and constables). However, the choice of ethos for me certainly, but also for others I imagine, centres more around these perks than it does around the interaction possibilities inherent in choosing a lawful / neutral / chaotic character.

The lack of ethos-restricted classes or races – which I am not necessarily advocating, since I have little clue as to the consequences of this – further reinforces the impression that ethos is good for the metagaming aspects of the MUD (joining Justice, perhaps, or taking advantage of wild attacks), but plays a less central role than alignment in the overall RP schema.

I am curious what other people think about the importance of ethos in the game, from a role playing point of view: can a character ever attempt to assert the supremacy of ethos over alignment? An example might well be a lawful elf healer teaching a chaotic storm giant to respect the law of the land (since it protects the innocent). In this circumstance is it viable for ethos – rather than alignment – concerns to drive the character?

You could choose to look at it this way: if I were to roll up an elf warrior, his alignment is fixed from birth (barring outcasting). Everyone will know he’s a lightwalker, including the character himself; discounting the detail of individual character personality, the only game-driven character choice is his ethos. From an in-character perspective, that is the only choice the elf makes throughout the course of the first (pre-game) 17 years. Since it is a conscious choice on his part, rather than the happenstance of his birth, would it not define the character as much as the temple he worships at?

0 0 0
marsd

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 4:39 pm    Post subject:

In a nutshell, roleplay takes precedence before ethos. In comparision, a faith runs far deeper than upholding the law.

A person may be a devout christian, yet has no other means of survival other than stealing. He may hate himself for stealing, yet that's his life.

Just a teaser: There is news article today (lost the link) about a guy who burglared a woman's apartment in Tokyo and tied her up. He gave her a massage to help her relax until the banks' ATM open (reason being japan banks all close at night). What might that fall under? Wink

0 0 0
Vhrael
Immortal

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 5:03 pm    Post subject:

Since I'm at work I don't have time to give this reply all of the thought and attention that I'd like (since I've thought about ethos and its in-game impact on several occasions and have several opinions or questions on various aspects of it), but here's a little bit. I might edit or reply again later...

For starters, imagine a straight-laced police officer that's always been a law-abiding citizen and has always tried to help people out when he can (lawful good). Then say that his daughter becomes violently ill with a painful disease that the doctors say will cost $2 million to treat and cure. The police officer, on his ridiculously low salary, couldn't ever afford to pay this, but he loves his daughter. He's faced with two choices: 1) come up with the money somehow, or 2) let his daughter die.

He's a good guy, but he respects and abides by the law... even enforces it. However, he loves his daughter too much to just let her suffer and die, so he decides to rob a bank and use that money to pay for his daughter's treatment. He's breaking his "ethos" (lawful) to satisfy his "alignment" (good). For the most part, this would be an acceptable breach, since most people could relate: "Oh, he loves his daughter and was trying to save her, so it's okay," rather than "I can't believe he broke the law! His daughter's life isn't worth that!"

In the game this is reflected with things like the [OUTCAST] flag. You don't see people typically getting outcast for breaking their ethos, but an elf slaughtering every squire and Noble that he sees will surely be labelled an outcast and have his alignment changed. Alignment is more definitive and central to a character than ethos is.

Think about it this way: which matters more to you, the difference between right and wrong, or the difference between order and chaos? Granted it could be argued that "without order, people would be doing more 'wrong things'," but conversely it could be said that "if everybody is good, then order will naturally maintain itself."

Generally speaking, people have the tendency to lean toward doing what is considered right; that is to say that most people have an inner voice (conscience, etc.) that tells them whether their actions are good or bad. The difference between order and chaos, or lawfulness and unlawfulness, is a thing defined by society as a whole in order to establish guidelines that protect people from those individuals that don't fit into the "generally speaking" category with everyone else (the deviants and those that are lacking and need to steal/etc. to provide for themselves).

Rather than continue the line of thinking that I'm going on, let me just finish for now with this:

Alignment (whether you tend to sway toward good or evil actions more often), in my opinion, is more central to a person/character's actions than ethos (whether they tend to obey or disregard the law more often). This explains why a) you choose alignment before ethos, and b) why more emphasis is placed on alignment with regard to cabals/coteries.

One other thing that I've wondered about with regard to how ethos is played out in the game:

- Could there be any distinction between various places and how their laws are followed? "Lawful" seems to mean that you follow Seringale laws, but other cities might develop laws (i.e. Valour) that your character might not believe in following. Doesn't seem that someone from another hometown besides Seringale should get scrutinized for breaking Seringale's law if they don't actually believe in following it... just a thought.

0 0 0
Sethronu
Immortal

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 5:05 pm    Post subject:

i think ethos is just as important as align. its kind of tricky sometimes because you need an idea of what kind of char you want to play before you play it. its just a matter of how well you balance your individuality with what is expected of you from other morts and imms. that's the hard part.

0 0 0
formalism

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 3:08 am    Post subject: Re: Alignment vs. Ethos

Hi. I hope my response helps. If you want an in-character comprehensive account of the issue of lawfulness vs. goodness, take a look at Homi's article published in the Mystique. Not sure which volume/issue it is in. With regard to lightwalkers, alignment generally takes precedence over ethos, and always takes precedence when it itself is at stake. You say:

The Zealot wrote:
An example might well be a lawful elf healer teaching a chaotic storm giant to respect the law of the land (since it protects the innocent). In this circumstance is it viable for ethos – rather than alignment – concerns to drive the character?

In this case the elf's ethos may certainly "drive the character" insofar as his ethos does not contradict his alignment, so that the elf may "teach" the chaotic storm giant but not threaten him with death if he refuses to submit himself entirely to the elf's beliefs. If the elf were to kill the giant in retribution for acts that were in themselves good but also spiteful of the law, then the elf would lose his lightwalker status. I'm pretty sure such a judgment would be the universal consensus.

The Zealot wrote:
You could choose to look at it this way: if I were to roll up an elf warrior, his alignment is fixed from birth (barring outcasting). Everyone will know he’s a lightwalker, including the character himself; discounting the detail of individual character personality, the only game-driven character choice is his ethos. From an in-character perspective, that is the only choice the elf makes throughout the course of the first (pre-game) 17 years. Since it is a conscious choice on his part, rather than the happenstance of his birth, would it not define the character as much as the temple he worships at?

A lot of what I'm going to say here, I think, you've already touched upon in the previous quotation, but a few things need to be clarified. You jump from "game-driven" language to "in-game" language, which can create confusion (at least in me). Neither alignment nor ethos are in-game fixed at birth. The fact that all elf characters are categorically good but accidentally lawful, neutral, or chaotic is merely a technical detail (I realize that you admit this). In-game, all characters are essentially overdetermined (broadly speaking) by culture, personal experiences, and other environmental factors. Elves aren't genetically (or magically) predisposed towards goodness -- the accumulated stores of knowledge that an elf's social matrix instills within him or her merely favors the good (for whatever reasons), while the question of degree of lawfulness is probably left up to individual clans or families. Even then, the notion of "choice" is very suspect. I very much doubt anyone on Thera exercises a significant deal of agency when it comes to being good or lawful -- these personal attributes are massively transfused from environment (whatever "environment" means) to individual (of course, I'm not saying that we're little more than programmed robots).

Also, elves can become evil (you admit this as well, but the significance of it hasn't been fully captured) -- witness the drow, after all, who were once racially integrated (and still are, to an extent) with their surface cousins long ago. Furthermore, the fact that many races' alignments are absolutely fixed while their ethos' can be in flux depending on any particular racial unit is in itself evidence that alignment is the more compelling concern or inclination for the world's rational creatures.

Anyways, this is just a roundabout way of me finally coming to say that words and concepts such as "lawfulness" mean absolutely nothing (from the GOODY point of view) outside the substantive content of alignment. Someone who is "lawful" in Seringale may not necessarily be "lawful" in Valour, since for Valourians the Law is something that is always in service of the good, so that it is lawful to keep evils out, who have a tendency to contemn people's rights, livelihoods, property, etc (the shopkeepers don't even sell to evils, last I played). Thus, even grand notions such as "Law" are, to a certain extent, arbitrary, while notions such as "the Good" are not. A tyrant may, for example, at complete whim decree that eating pies is an unlawful activity at odds with the lofty goals of the state, and the next day rescind such a law and replace it with an equally ridiculous one. Is this tyrant really chaotic? No, because the law is always self-referring. There is nothing outside of it to compare it to. From an outside perspective (someone living outside the tyrant's domain) one may proclaim such a tyrant a fool and his principality unlawful, but the tyrant surely wouldn't think so (nor would he care what others had to say), and the guards would still be enforcing such laws and the people still obeying them (if they didn't want to die). At best, one may call the tyrant flighty, but his is still a principality of laws.

On the other hand, from a GOODY perspective "the Good" is a metaphysical concept. It lies outside reality and resides in the realm of the gods. It is absolute and universally applicable. To take the tyrant from above: if this same tyrant were to claim that it was good to scalp any innocent halflings and evil not to, then he'd be a boldfaced liar, or just tragically misguided. (Keep in mind, in real life this is not true. We don't have access to the mind of God(s), if there is one (are any), and thus cannot know what is truly good and evil.) This is why Lightwalkers must resign themselves wholly to the Good before they do likewise with the Law, for laws have to be just, not arbitrary rules, and the degree of Justice inherent in any law will have the Good as its standard. I've already written too much, and I'm pretty sure no one's read the entire thing, other than perhaps The Zealot. Hope this helps, and if you think I'm just plain wrong, then let me know!

WALL OF TEXT POWER!

0 0 0
Ashr

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 5:39 am    Post subject:

Philosophically, I don't think there's a difference between ethos/alignment. That is to say that it's easy for us to make a Lawful Good character and discern that he is both Lawful and Good, but if the character were to exist on his own, I don't think he'd be able to distinguish between the two. That is to say that what is unlawful would be un..good to him. Supposing he is trying to protect someone's life, he might mug someone to steal a needed item, which would be an unlawful act, sure, but, chances are, he would consider the act of mugging someone to be an evil act, so it would violate his goodness as well. It would only be that he considers the breach of his "alignment" worth the intended goal.

I realize that AR is more focused on align than ethos, but I'd like to see ethos become more prominent. Stuff like constables/wild weapons are neat, but I think that a Lawful Good and a Lawful Evil should probably share the same contempt for a Chaotic Good (who is violating the law), as he's still a criminal, good or otherwise. Chaotics (who are acting Chaotic) and Lawfuls should be at odds, even if they share align, in my opinion.

0 0 0
Static Impulse

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 7:44 pm    Post subject:

While this is mildly from WOW, why can't a good aligned warrior be chaotic enough to begin killing other good aligned people in the name of the light? Something to the effect of the Scarlet crusade from wow, where the people are so wrapped up in their faith they fail to see they are killing innocent people for the "greater good." I've always wanted to do that kind of thing as a roleplay, but since the penalties are so severe...(IE, losing vital skills, exp, becoming everyone's enemy..ect.) I never followed through. I think there should be some exceptions to the ethos/align issue. Even if you need to speak to an Imm first.

0 0 0
Vhrael
Immortal

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 8:25 pm    Post subject:

I think one of the biggest problems there is enforcement. There aren't any in-game "checks" to keep a good-aligned character, even one sticking to his RP, from going too nuts with a storyline like that.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Roleplaying All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: