Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 5 days, 13 hours.

Death RP/ Called Shot

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Esura

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:13 pm    Post subject: Death RP/ Called Shot

1. How does death work in roleplaying? Characters will usually come back to life after death, so should that affect one's attitude towards death? For example, should a character only worry about death because of equipment loss and maybe losing some constitution, or do they have the same fear of death as normal people do? And is there a good storyline/roleplaying explanation for resurrection?

2. I play a ranger, and I was wondering what purpose Called Shot has. It seems to take me out of combat for maybe 2-3 rounds and releases a shot that may or may not hit, for maybe a DEVASTATE whereas without the called shot I could inflict multiple DISMEMBERs, which seems to deal more damage. Is it supposed to be more for PK?

0 0 0
m1co

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:33 pm    Post subject:

Esura, dear lady, "called shot" is used to deal out alot of damage at once, when someone is pretty hurt/awful they wont wait for 3 rounds, they need to be dealt instantly before their feet carry em far far away from you, its more like a "finishing" skill if you ask me, played only one ranger in my AR career tho.

and about deaths...to be honest there's thousands of more things what arent fit for rp, and thats how _most_ muds are, there's many of em with "realdeaths" aka you will loose char upon death, but then it would be no fun for those who are brave:)

I hope you got your questions answered.

0 0 0
Xazappith
Immortal

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:32 pm    Post subject:

Every death brings you closer to your ultimate death, the one you won't come back from, and every five drops your con. Based on my interactions with people referring to dying, coming back from the dead is just the natural progression of life. Although I've heard people low on life talk about how its getting harder or more painful for them to come back.

I've seen called shot do loads of damage against mobs. Usually it's 50s who are assisting that I've seen using it. Seems to me its best used in ranking, but I don't play a Ranger so all my advice is just hypothesis.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

0 0 0
Amdorin

Location: No matter how much a failure, no life is worthless. You can always serve as a bad example.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:36 pm    Post subject:

Ok, here's called shot.

It's mainly a ranking skill for you to deal out high damage on a target you wouldn't likely hit well in normal rounds. Let's say you're in Emerald ranking on rangers and you happen to be rather low ranked(in the group)for fighting them, so you don't hit as often because the mob holds enough ranks to defend well against you. Called shot will take you out of battle for two rounds to hit them with a high damage hit to make you still useful in the group for damage.

It can be useful in group combat as well, but that would be a delicate situation because no one in their right mind would stay in a battle long enough to let them be hit by it, especially when (if) they see the prompt of you stepping out of battle.

But it can still be used on 1v1 against less knowledgeable opponents who just stand there. For example, you could retreat behind a pet and call shot from there, but I doubt you could pull that very easily, ..maybe with the right dirt kick Twisted Evil

But other than that it's just a method for you to stay useful for damage in a group when you aren't hitting well enough in normal rounds.

Last example, you're in Shadar fighting nightstalkers with a group and you're rank 39 and was lucky enough to find a group that connects you to a pinnacled tanking warrior. I doubt that even with a dodge hindering bow that you'll hit a nightstalker very often, so instead you would call shot to have a chance to hit them really hard (even for your rank).

As far as RP with call shot, you can do little things like speaking while doing call shot. Because when you call shot you can say little things like "Hold him still" or whatever along with the 'call' command.

Ex. "call Hold him still" does this:

Blah says 'Hold him still'
Blah pulls out of combat for an aimed shot (or whatever)

Make better since for you? Good luck.

0 0 0
Burzuk
Implementor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:01 pm    Post subject:

As far as death goes, resurrection is a gift from the heavens (and hence, you resurrect at your temple). Once the gods' grace/patience/amusement/whatever the reason for resurrecting you has been used up, everyone winds up facing their final reckoning with the Reaper (he of Graveyard Forum fame). Is this to be avoided? Up to your character. Human notions of the afterlife run the gamut, anything from nothing at all (secular humanists) to a huge party with booze and women (Valhalla/valkyries from Norse mythology). Likewise, there's no single prescribed attitude toward death in Thera.

For called shot, Amdorin has the right idea here. Two other issues: stacked defenses and vulns. A slick ranger can, under the right situation, carve up a water cube and nail a dwarf warrior straight through all those warrior defenses with a single potentially lethal called shot. Called shot isn't as versatile or easy-to-use as the comparable circle skill, but that should be understandable considering how rangers are much stronger straight-up fighters to begin with. A cunningly used called shot can very easily kill an opponent outright (i.e. it's a very high lethality skill) compared to several defensible hits.

0 0 0
trance_monkey

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:21 pm    Post subject:

I've played a couple rangers and never found Called-Shot to be anything other than flashy.

2-3 dismembers/massacres for two rounds, i.e. 4-6 dismembers/massacres, does more than one ***Demolish*** which I would get 2/3 the time.

If you're fighting a creature much higher that you have less success at hitting on a round to round basis, that equally translates to the called-shot success and I fail to see how that's a scenario where it's any more appropriate.

Same with the vulns aspect. First of all, same thing applies: round to round basis will still be higher having all things equal (the arrows hitting the vuln). Second of all, if someone's noobish enough to stay in combat when the ranger performs a called shot.. you could probably beat that kind of person without called shot anyways.

Personally, I think it needs to do more damage to be worth it at all.

It is flashy, though.

0 0 0
Burzuk
Implementor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:09 am    Post subject:

trance_monkey wrote:
If you're fighting a creature much higher that you have less success at hitting on a round to round basis, that equally translates to the called-shot success and I fail to see how that's a scenario where it's any more appropriate.

Called shot success is dependent on skill proficiency, not level difference. That's exactly what makes called shot useful against much-higher mobs since it bypasses their beefy defenses.

trance_monkey wrote:
Same with the vulns aspect. First of all, same thing applies: round to round basis will still be higher having all things equal (the arrows hitting the vuln).

All things being equal: a class with 3 (or 4 defenses in the case of warriors) is going to block the vast majority of regular attacks, unless you have very good hitroll. Also, vuln weapons have crappy averages, while bows benefit from not just very high potential average (as high as avg 33 with the right rares/uniques) and/or very high hit/dam bonuses (as high as +10/+10 or higher with ranger bows and/or legacies), but also the two-handed enhanced bonus is multiplied with the vuln AND with the called shot multiplier. Stacked multipliers is the name of the game when it comes to huge damage (just ask any Warlord who's landed a damage form while performing a wild attack), and the called shot multiplier stacks very nicely with any other existing multipliers, especially vulns. If you want to be funny, stack your hit/dam 10/50 instead of 30/30 and see how hard your called shot hits.

And the called shot lag is the same as hobble lag or almost all other skill lags, except the shot comes at the end of the lag instead of at the beginning of it. In theory nobody should have another command queued in during combat, but in practice almost everyone does, and they'll eat a called shot for it if the ranger sets it up properly.

95% of the time you'll use something else besides the called shot, but it's recogizing the other 5% that makes called shot potentially devastating. Or, just save your practice sessions for something else. Either way works -- it's just another option to have on hand.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Newbie Q/A All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: