Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 6 days, 2 hours.

Yeah, a question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mummy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:26 pm    Post subject: Yeah, a question

Alright. Say that you get gang attacked by a fire giant berserker of your rank, a drow shaman of your rank, and an avian illusionist of your rank.

You're a human dark-knight and you had no mana BEFORE the battle began.

How do you win?

What happened to me was this:

I get attacked, flee, aura, attack and hurt the avian a pretty bit, get blinded, flee, run through thera, get away, de-blind, head for purples (used mine during the fight (I know, i should have more on hand....))
fire giant is checking there, attacks me with aura, I have no aura, bodyslam twice, flee, check for purples, none there, find fire giant inside east gate, attack, get bodyslammed, flee with 2 hp, run like a gnome from the guy and get away. But I didn't want to get away, I wanted to win. How do you do that?

Thanks in advance.

(P.S. Please, if you know who I am, keep it a secret. Thank you.)

0 0 0
Shughurd

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:28 pm    Post subject:

What's the point of this "question"?

A) You can't play obviously.
B) You don't know how to prepare.
C) You got ganked, who cares?

0 0 0
Mummy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:50 pm    Post subject:

Shughurd wrote:
What's the point of this "question"?

A) You can't play obviously.
B) You don't know how to prepare.
C) You got ganked, who cares?

The point: to learn, dumbass.

a) no shit, that's why I asked.
b) I do, I just failed to. I messed up. like you never have
c) I didn't die. And I care. What the hell is your problem? I'm asking for advice. give it or fuck off.

0 0 0
trance_monkey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:51 pm    Post subject:

I'm bored.
Shughurd wrote:

A) I'm a dick
B) I'm master of the obvious
C) But, my point here is correct

AR is like a prison shower. Sometimes you get raped, sometimes you do the raping and sometimes it's all roses on trusty soap-straps. wtg on running away from a rape, and don't join a cabal if this sorta thing gets to you.

That said, you really oughta log your fights and just read and re-read them. The only way to figure out how the current race/class you're playing should have reacted is figuring out, as best you can, where you fucked up. Then, go fight them again and test your ideas.

I'm no one to take advice from, but it seems to me that summon would be a good way to break up a group and make them regroup. Summon the leader away to an exit room and make him chase you to another area, leaving the others to catch up. Or summon the weakest guy if you think you can two/three round him.

Or run away and try to catch one off guard later on.

Or just get raped so they can get their rocks off and you can go back to whatever you were doing.

0 0 0
Mummy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:43 pm    Post subject:

trance_monkey wrote:
I'm bored.

AR is like a prison shower. Sometimes you get raped, sometimes you do the raping and sometimes it's all roses on trusty soap-straps. wtg on running away from a rape, and don't join a cabal if this sorta thing gets to you.

That said, you really oughta log your fights and just read and re-read them. The only way to figure out how the current race/class you're playing should have reacted is figuring out, as best you can, where you fucked up. Then, go fight them again and test your ideas.

I'm no one to take advice from, but it seems to me that summon would be a good way to break up a group and make them regroup. Summon the leader away to an exit room and make him chase you to another area, leaving the others to catch up. Or summon the weakest guy if you think you can two/three round him.

Or run away and try to catch one off guard later on.

Or just get raped so they can get their rocks off and you can go back to whatever you were doing.

I tried the summon to start and it failed every time til I ran out of mana. I realize I probably should have stopped summoning when I saw it failin consistently (it's worked most of the time, so that's why I kept trying to summon the avian to quick-kill him.) (and that's how I lost my first of four purples (yeah, I shoulda had more))

I agree, but I don't know that there's a way to log with java.... am I wrong?

Thanks for the advice, tm.

0 0 0
Erlwith

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:57 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
head for purples

Uhm.. why in the world would you head for purples? If you're that badly wounded, with no mana and no purples you need to find yourself a nice spot to rest. That's when you use your summon spell to get hobgoblins. The only reason I can think of for a dk ever "heading for purples" is when some shaman, healer, or other class with summon is summoning all the hob goblins for an extended duration.

Quote:
But I didn't want to get away, I wanted to win. How do you do that?

We all want to win, the fact of the matter is that winning is a combination of practice, preparation and luck. I'll tell you how you don't win though.

You don't win with 2 hp. You don't win without sanctuary. You don't win by having no mana. You don't win by walking around with no mana. You don't win by not having mana for unholy strength.

A wise man, or relatively so at least, once said "Don't stay in a fight you didn't start".

0 0 0
Mahkan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Yeah, a question

Mummy wrote:
But I didn't want to get away, I wanted to win. How do you do that?

I think its fair to say what you want to do isn't working for you.

Instead of trying to kill them all at the same time, run away. They cant really call you a pussy, that would just be plain hypocrisy.

What you should do is wait. Unless theyre doing this m1co style, they not all gonna leave at the same time, so when one or preferably two leave, strike back, but with full mana and health and buffed up.

Also, dont play on java, play on jmc.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:16 am    Post subject:

They are all together all the time, or what? Not much you can do 3 on 1. You should look for a way to combine summon with passdoor/ other kinds of barriers like mob aggro. If you are just summoning them to the meat store or something stupid that isn't going to work. The most important thing is to ally with somebody else ASAP. Other than that its just death via body/harm, not like it hasn't been done effectively by grunts before.

0 0 0
Mandor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:37 am    Post subject:

all classes being equal Wink nothing you can do about a 3 v 1 unless you have lots of healing objects to outlast them with, and try to split them up. I'd suggest trying to land a plague, if they stay together for the tick, they'll infect each other (although against good players thats a huge limitation of it).

but the one first plagued will lose lots of stats and will get worse over time, he's either the prime target or you let him get bogged down with his moves sucked away so he cant help the other two. if plague hits them all, they lose quite a bit of strength, which translates to a defense and their damage. curse shaman, silence illusionist when they are split up. if you cant split them up, run and hide.

If there was a function on the board to automatically filter out people with an ignore list so we cant see their annoying childish posts, I'd have one or two people on that list already. shughurd is trying to attention whore, so just ignore him.

0 0 0
trance_monkey

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:26 pm    Post subject:

What do you mean you're using Java? JMC or AR's web based java client?

I think you mean the Java telnet emulator. I don't think you can log with that, but if you want to just use telnet you can. Open a command prompt and type:

telnet abandonedrealms.com 9000 -f c:\mylog.txt

that will create a mylog.txt file that will capture everything you see. You could also just use something other than the java web client.

0 0 0
MrCarb

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:38 pm    Post subject:

Question: How do I defeat three competent players who are using a variety of powerful classes on my own with no mana and no purples?

Answer: You don't.

Most. Pointless. Topic. Ever.

0 0 0
Adebaldi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:55 pm    Post subject:

Unless I am mistaken summon also is checked by saves, so you should look at their eq before trying to summon and even without looking you should be able to realize that:

1) Avian ill - avians have mental resist so it may be tougher to summon them.
2) Drow shaman - drows have charm resist and I think summon is a charm/mental spell.
3) Fire giants have mental vuln so it should be easiest to summon him.

And if you want to win a battle against three and you do not even have enough purples to finish the fight you are obviously underestimating the being prepared part. There is a reason why everybody always repeats that when people ask advice on forum.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: