Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 6 days, 13 hours.

Weird helpfiles -

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wholesale Johnson

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:07 pm    Post subject: Weird helpfiles -

What is GENERAL PURPOSE, RAY OF TRUTH, and RESERVED? They're in the helpfiles.

Also also, check out helpfiles 850-860 - are those old, or new?

What's with helpfiles 997/998, 1262, 1465, 1478?

And why are 1486-1572 all maps?

I've seen help Sebryn before too.

0 0 0
bassball

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:53 pm    Post subject:

Helpfiles 997/998 etc.. are part of different game wide events I think. I could be wrong but the KUNG FU one reminds me of an april fool's joke the imps played about double kick I think.

And all the map helpfiles have a different area grayed in, so could have something to do with coding.

That is just my deduction. I could be horrendously incorrect.

0 0 0
kento
Emissary

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:48 am    Post subject:

So, does anyone remember the april's fool a few years back where there was a system wide message about how you had to pee from now on? hahah

0 0 0
kento
Emissary

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:17 am    Post subject:

so I didn't actually read the others, but the 850s are the old druid spells, and those ARE the old ones.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:53 am    Post subject:

When a helpfile is made, its very difficult to erase, and due to the way they're stored they're also difficult to find again.. our way of finding dud helpfiles is exactly the same of yours, by fortiutous accident because there's about 1000 of the things. So it turns out easier to just rename it to something like "reserved" which is an easy search term to recycle the helpfile. And sometimes they get renamed to dumb things, which just makes them more difficult to find with the search again. Anyway, there are some bad helpfiles, none that can be found without fooling around with the search and straying beyond the boundaries that usually qualify helpfiles (a cross-reference of some sort), so the short answer is nobody cares about these odd stray helpfiles that are somewhere in the mess of clear concise ones serving you perfectly fine.

The helpfiles that are maps are what you recieve when you type 'map' in an area, its just a programming trick to save me a lot of time. Ideally those would be replaced by explorable maps of the area you're in, but I don't think we'll ever get to that point. Its not really a visual game, other than what you see in your mind's eye when playing of course, but the design isn't meant to spoonfeed you too much about what youre looking at - instead you read the descs, construct the world yourself, practice some actual imagination, etc.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Newbie Q/A All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: