Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 4 days, 9 hours.

Retire/Con-die at 50

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ceridwel
Immortal

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:53 pm    Post subject: Retire/Con-die at 50

This idea just came to me and I haven't thought it through. So no flames at me for not thinking it through. Why? Because I haven't thought it through.

If a character con-dies at 50, assuming they didn't condie on purpose like that assclown a few months ago, they have the choice to roll x% of their total experience points into their next character. In another mud I played, if you died for the last time under specific circumstances (which I can't remember right now, do you Res?) your next character would start at 1/2 your levels +1. So if were level 18 when you died the final time, your next char could start at level 10.

Alternate idea, you don't need to condie, but you can choose to 'Retire' your pinnacled character and have some benefits towards your next character. Heck, maybe not even reserve this for just pinnacles.

The downside to starting a new character at > rank 1 is you have slightly less time to have practiced your skills. But maybe this is an appropriate downside to the bonus of starting at rank 1+x.

Discuss. Flame. Lick my short-haired Riverwood beaver.

0 0 0
rabidgecko

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:02 pm    Post subject:

only problem I can see with this is the ooc

0 0 0
Ceridwel
Immortal

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:03 pm    Post subject:

rabidgecko wrote:
only problem I can see with this is the ooc

Could you expand on that?

0 0 0
Erlwith

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:08 pm    Post subject:

Meh, I like the idea of rewarding people who condie, but this is terribly OOC. They're two different chars that didn't even exist during the same time, so I don't see how one could manipulate the other.

Also, what is the balance/RP logic behind this? Seems like a good idea for other places but completely wrong for this game. Not to mention 1-30 is like a surge night. Why is there a need to make the early 'grind' easier? In fact, if I could say there's one thing absolutely not wrong with AR it's how easy it is to level up.

Last edited by Erlwith on Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

0 0 0
rabidgecko

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:08 pm    Post subject:

Well, each character is a separate entity in terms of roleplay. Having one gain levels because of another character played before violates that in my view

0 0 0
Ceridwel
Immortal

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:11 pm    Post subject:

Hmm, good points.

I still think rewarding an honest condeath is a neat idea. How to implement it though...

0 0 0
Resatimm
Takes the Cake

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:21 pm    Post subject:

This is called 'remorting' if I recall.

On our MUD Iolo, I cant remember what it was called, but you are right, half levels + 1.

I think that remorting has been brought up a few times, and was shot down pretty quickly. Some look at it as the mud being unpure, or not classic with remorting. Its so easy to rank on DIKUs that it would save you what, 4 or 5 hard hours to rank to level 26?

On our old mud, it was a god send, because you remember, it was a REAL year between levels at some points, because of the 1.5 MILLION tnl and 50xp per mob.

Oh wait. Now I remember:

It was your race/class, levels/2 +1, the TOTAL XP FROM THAT RACE/CLASS combo applied to your new character. So if you went from an elf paladin on AR, you could be a level 34 or 35 human warrior. Etc etc.

0 0 0
Amdorin

Location: No matter how much a failure, no life is worthless. You can always serve as a bad example.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:27 pm    Post subject:

Seems cool for certain games. I don't think it would fit with AR's current theme.

Condeath is respected in and of itself if you stuck it out to that end without suiciding it off.

This game tends to reward the life of the character rather than the player's future endeavors for playing to condeath. "Mobbing" the char into a permanent member of the game for example, or adding them to memorials and things that transcend mortality are a lot more rewarding as the intent is to reward the time you invested in the char's life rather than getting a heads up on your next.

0 0 0
Insom

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:17 am    Post subject:

Ranking on AR, no matter how tedious you think it is, it is a real breeze. I remember playing a mud called Quest for Mordor where each death would result in 25% loss in total xps and you dropped to that particular level. Also you needed the same corresponding gold pieces in order to get your guildmaster to level you. One particular death at level 20 dropped me 1.2 million xps and 1.5 million in gold pieces and as well as dropped me to level 18. Another subsequent death dropped me to level 16....Just imagine on AR if you lost xp and levels while ranking? You would never make it to 50 if someone kept screwing with you while you are solo ranking.

0 0 0
rabidgecko

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:36 am    Post subject:

We don't play Quest for Mordor. We play AR for a reason

0 0 0
Vertas

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:00 am    Post subject:

I remember having some of my first characters with 80k plus tnl due to mob deaths.. I'm just thankful we got rid of those holes.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:37 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Ranking on AR, no matter how tedious you think it is, it is a real breeze.

I think it is looking daunting for *beginners* because they don't know about critter/monster potions, regen potions , and the vulns that mobs have aren't as obvious to guess as you might think. Plus, they'll probably buy a crap pet instead of using the mercenaries, which they probably wont level. Then there's the problem of how you are supposed to know to go from worn steel and claymore to black-tear and fierys (which is doable as early as level 19 solo). These are all problems that I would think future quests should remedy somehow. But in anycase... IF you know about all of that, levelling through 30 is a piece of cake. Its even somewhat of a chore because of how easily you can just push the mobs over.

With that in mind, there's no reason to reward exp to someone who condied at pinnacle. By then you already should have learned enough to make your second trip a lot easier. I dont know about 5 hours to get to 30 but rolling a character 2 hours before a surge and equipping it/getting grouped before the start is a likely speedy run to 20.

0 0 0
Stephen2_Aust

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:42 am    Post subject:

Apologies if this should be in the "Issues that matter" thread.

Davairus, you just touched on one of the most fun, and I think increasingly important things the MUD has done recently.

Quests which show newbies how to do things.

With a low player base and less people around to teach the newbies, these quests are fantastic. They're instructive, engaging and fun. They keep the new players hooked and also teach them enough vital information so that they can get started into AR.

You can't teach PK via quests, although, maybe certain guilds can have quests: You must kill a member of the Paladin guild etc... Hrm, I like it.

Anyway, the other quests you were talking about: black-tear, fiery etc.. I think it would be absolutely great if it were possible to have many more quests that teach important things.

Great idea Dav, I support that as an Issue that matters most right now.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:49 am    Post subject:

Yes, I already made some quests like that, but obviously a lot more are needed, and its just... extremely tiring to write them. Hoping for them to be able to learn some stuff on their own. I'm not sure pointing newbs to damroll gear is good idea at all, they'd likely die a lot trying. Groups help player learn about the monster pots. So those are things I think best left to experience. The mercenaries make a big difference to levelling though. I should probably have had that quest lending mercenaries to players instead of gold coins. We just didnt have the technology to do it at the time I wrote the quest, still dont really, but I could make it.

0 0 0
Viggs

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:20 pm    Post subject:

Ok so what happens to the persons soul after the 61st death ,, You got to keep you soul through all those deaths then its gone? yes it could be that or it could transfer in some magical way to your next char, and you would have to use some form of your old name so you can have some sort of legecy .. or no name but you could regain one or two memorys from your passed life ,like if your this great and powerful wizard but you die once to many and your next life is oh i dont know lets say a thief ,, well then you could remember one or two things from your great and glorious wizard life and BAM we now offically have a clearly thought out and well balanced way for Thiefs to have motherfuckinggoddamned Hellstream Hell ya We did It ,, YEAAAAA holy shit I need a tylanol

0 0 0
Ceridwel
Immortal

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:10 am    Post subject:

Davairus wrote:
Quote:
Ranking on AR, no matter how tedious you think it is, it is a real breeze.

I think it is looking daunting for *beginners* because they don't know about critter/monster potions, regen potions , and the vulns that mobs have aren't as obvious to guess as you might think. Plus, they'll probably buy a crap pet instead of using the mercenaries, which they probably wont level. Then there's the problem of how you are supposed to know to go from worn steel and claymore to black-tear and fierys (which is doable as early as level 19 solo). These are all problems that I would think future quests should remedy somehow. But in anycase... IF you know about all of that, levelling through 30 is a piece of cake. Its even somewhat of a chore because of how easily you can just push the mobs over.

With that in mind, there's no reason to reward exp to someone who condied at pinnacle. By then you already should have learned enough to make your second trip a lot easier. I dont know about 5 hours to get to 30 but rolling a character 2 hours before a surge and equipping it/getting grouped before the start is a likely speedy run to 20.

True enough Dav. I guess I was thinking less about making it easier for someone to take their next character to 30, and more about rewarding someone for sticking it out to condie at 50. You're right that soloing to 30ish is a breeze for anyone who's ever pinnacled, but the 45-50 grind is still a bitch...man would it be cool to take an xp reward from your condead pinnacle and apply it to your next character at that point.

The more I type about this, though, the more I sound like I'm asking for something for nothing. I'm content to put this idea to rest.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: