Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 5 days, 5 hours.

Newbie with intro and questions.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
blindman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:24 pm    Post subject: Newbie with intro and questions.

Hello everyone,
Iam new here and I wanted to introduce myself. As my handle suggests I am blind and have been so for 7 years. I use a mud client called VIP mud. It was designed with blind players in mind. My first char is a Half-elf Ranger. Ido have some questions.
1. What is the best way to make coin? Just about every time Igo to the shops the shop keepers have no gold.
2. Iknow that mercenaries are better than pets at the current rank I am, but they are getting expensive to buy. Would it be good to buy a pet, since they dont vanish when you quit and return?
Well thats it for now. Happy gaming everyone.
Thanks,
Blindman/Greg

0 0 0
Thorgoth
Immortal

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:29 pm    Post subject:

First off, welcome.

I would recommend keeping at trying to sell armor, you can find good equipment to sell north of Seringale in the orc mountains, and take it to mundo or anga to sell. you might also be able to do tasks from the shopkeepers, but i'm not really sure at how difficult that is at lower levels, i think it is rank base so you should be in the clear, plus it will help you learn the realms better. mercenaries are worth the expense, or used to be atleast when you could have them tank, but luckily as a ranger you are a defense machine so you can pick and choose. however, with the recent changes to pets it would probably be in your best interest to look around in solace/timaran/seringle for a pet that you like, then level it up and it will be with you permanently so you can save your coin for ranking potions/random crap.

good luck and happy mudding! don't forget that you can always ask any questions you'd like and we will be willing to help you, and also there are PLENTY of helpfiles that should assist you greatly (help <specific thing here>)

0 0 0
Viggs

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:31 pm    Post subject:

HELLO NEWBIE
IF I TYPE IN ALL CAPS DOES YOUR THNGY YELL THE WORDS TOO?
WHAT ABOUT MY HORIBLE SPELLING , DOES IT MESS WITH THE PRONOUNCEATION ?
Damn glad your here bro .,. there is usualy a wealth of coin laying on the ground in Ofcol ,,, the armor sells well , its easy to get , all over the ground ,, sac it and it will make you a grand easy ,, kill the inneeper and luxan they usally have a nice amount of coin ,
Have fun!!
Love
Viggs

0 0 0
Kalist19
Emissary

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:31 pm    Post subject:

Welcome Blindman.

The only way shopkeepers get gold is when people buy items from them. This is handy to remember if you are ever going to buy something. If you are going to buy some gambled gear from Agna, the leatherworker, go north-east of town first and kill some orcs for their fur/leather. Once you buy items from the leatherworker you can sell that orc gear back to her to regain the gold you spent in the first place!

0 0 0
Amdorin

Location: No matter how much a failure, no life is worthless. You can always serve as a bad example.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:36 pm    Post subject:

Welcome!

Also, after getting all these coins, each city has a bank in which you can stow away your hard earned gold. It will hold your coin for the life of the character, but when you withdraw the bank makes 10 percent off of it. So if you withdraw 5000 coins, the bank will take 500 of that as you take it out.

Happy mudding!

0 0 0
_Clifton_
Emissary

Location: your and you're are not the same. they're, there, and their are not the same. learn to english.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:36 pm    Post subject:

Hi. Welcome. I think those guys have answered your questions pretty well.

I have one for you too. How do you mud blind?

0 0 0
blindman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:52 pm    Post subject:

Hello everyone,
I use a program called JAWS for windows. It is a screen reading program that will read the text on the screen for me. It works well with VIP mud. Ihave reached level 13 with my Half-elven ranger. I just got ate by a red dragon trying to find the thief in the sewers of Serengel. As suggested I went to Offcol and found some stuff to sacrifice and made some coin. Another question I have, I noticed rangers dont get a ambush type skill do they?
Thanks,
Blindman/Greg

0 0 0
Vanisse
Immortal

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:09 pm    Post subject:

welcome, greg!

the adventurers in the sewers are a bit tricky to find the first time (or first few times) around but it is quite useful to know your way around down there.

as for your question, rangers no longer have an attack called ambush...but they do have camouflage which lets them basically POUNCE!!! on unsuspecting people who walk by in the forest. of course you need to watch out that your falcons/other pets don't give you away. Wink

it's great to have you here, hope you enjoy adventuring with us!

~van

0 0 0
Olyn
Immortal

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:37 pm    Post subject:

another way to earn coin from shopkeepers is task. type task at most open shops and he'll request that you bring him a specific item and he'll pay you, regardless if his shop is out of coins. Type task when you return with the item in your inventory. you can check how long you have to complete it by typing affect. This is also a great way to learn the land because the items he asks for are generally around your current level.

0 0 0
Amdorin

Location: No matter how much a failure, no life is worthless. You can always serve as a bad example.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:47 pm    Post subject:

As far as an ambush skill, yes that was phased out with the ongoing changes. (It was a part of the old system that this game played on years ago) But as far as a strong initiating skill, rangers have "Leading shot" which can generate a high damage start into battle. the 'Help leading shot' help file will give you more information

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:58 pm    Post subject:

task/gamble is a decent way to improve your stuff, especially when there's no useful rares around...

1- go to a shop e.g. armorer (can and should do 5 shops at once)
2- type task
3- go collect what he wants, and while youre there, collect other armors nearby
4- turn in the task
5- repeat step 1 to 5 until you exceed carry capacity (a fully levelled pet prolongs this)
6- gamble something, pray you haggle a discount
7- sell all your collected armor to the shop to get your gold back
8- repeat steps 6-7 until out of items

more gold and better armor at the same time

0 0 0
Vertas

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:56 am    Post subject:

Goblin armor (goblin village south and east of Seringale) usually sells for pretty decent too. I came up with a system for when i make a new character to do the goblin killing quest (obtainable via goblin executioner) get the armors from the corpses turn the corpses into him, and sell the armors for up to 300g a piece. Another great way to gain gold is by gambling, whenever I notice that my luck is high, I go to one of the bars in Seringale and try to gamble for lots of money. It helps if you find a bard or someone to give you a luck buff of some sort. There's been times where I've won well over one million gold in one go (losing a lot in the process mind you). Obviously you should not attempt this if you have problems with gambling addiction...
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

0 0 0
blindman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:21 pm    Post subject:

Hello all,
How does one gamble with equipment? I read a help file for gambling coin but not equipment.
Thanks,
Blindman/Greg

0 0 0
rabidgecko

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:26 pm    Post subject:

The equipment stores like the leather shop and armory in Seringale sell all gambled gear. You just buy the item you want for the slot you want and it will come out as something like "a dragonblood sharkskin belt of maiming" which would add damroll and take away dex. It could also be a "deflective sharkskin belt of shielding" which would protect against spells, and so on.

0 0 0
Stiehl26

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:16 pm    Post subject:

Once you buy a gambled item you can use the appraise command at the shop you bought the item at and they will identify them for free (or 1 or 2 gold coins) if I remember correctly.

I have got to ask the question, where Pk is such a fast paced environment, how well will your client work in that type of situation? I only ask because it could end up quite frustrating for you. If you havent already, you may want to chose the bard class, as they are supposed to be less pk oriented than any of the other classes.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:51 pm    Post subject:

he probably isnt too worried about it

0 0 0
Stiehl26

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:57 pm    Post subject:

Maybe not, I just wanted to make sure he understood what he could potentially be getting himself into was all. Better to let him know that there will be a fall (death/full loot) coming so he can anticpate the drop.

0 0 0
Tiqa

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:09 pm    Post subject:

One of the fastest ways to make a lot money is to group with someone, especially during a surge.

0 0 0
Ceridwel
Immortal

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:11 pm    Post subject:

Blindman, welcome. My daughter is b/vi after being diagnosed with bilateral rb in 2008. So it's inspiring to see yet another activity that b/vi folks enjoy doing.

On your gambled items question, you'll be able to discern gambled items from non-gambled items by typing LIST in a shop...the items they sell that have question marks (??) beside their names are gambled. In other words, you are taking a gamble by buying them because they could be uber-powerful, or worthless.

Buying gambled items doesn't involve gambling as in playing poker or roulette or something like that.

0 0 0
Krakknot

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:20 pm    Post subject:

Welcome to AR blindman.

I think that would be cool to throw some eq down on the poker table.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Newbie Q/A All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: