Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 5 days, 17 hours.

Compromised Stats Invoking Weaknesses

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Amdorin

Location: No matter how much a failure, no life is worthless. You can always serve as a bad example.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:34 am    Post subject: Compromised Stats Invoking Weaknesses

Had an idea, nothing major and definitely not begging for it to be imp'd right away, but possibly be of use at a later time as the game progresses. Someone may have mentioned something leading to this idea but here ya go:

The bulk of the idea is that once certain stats drop a certain amount, you begin to take on enhanced penalties or even vulnerabilities. For example:

Human warrior: Amdo
Str 21 (21) Int 20 (20) Wis 20 (20) Dex 20 (20) Con 17 (20-3)

-Amdo is now more susceptible to disease/poison/negative attacks/spells (taking increased damage/duration)

Compromised stats have the following disadvantages:
*everything's open to compromise, this will likely need to be more sensitive to the race involved on a per stat basis, like an elf may need -4 int for an excessive case, but only -2 for con)

Code:
Str:
- already has obvious disadv's (lower parry, damroll, hobble, weight carrying weight issues)
- *decreased moving efficiency due to overweight issues in excessive cases (not sure if this exists already)

Int
- the current obvious disadvs (lower gains on rank, lower defense rate)
- decreased learning rate/lower success rate for mage casting/lower mage spell damage (I wanted to say obvious disadvs because I think some of these are already in effect, but placing them anyway)
- *in excessive cases these current disadv's becoming very apparent

Wis
- decreased learning rate/lower success rate for cleric casting/lower cleric spell damage (same obvious' as Int)
- *in excessive cases taking on a charm weakness (mental damage)

Dex
- the current obvious disadvs (lower dodge, mv gains, hitroll, dirtkick)
- decreased movement efficient (Costing more to move)
- *in excessive cases these disadv's becoming very apparent

Con
- the current obvious disadv (lower hp gain on rank, weakened shield block)
- *increased damage/duration from disease/poison/afflictive/negative damage due to excessive compromised stats

---will probably pull back on making poison itself one of those enhanced weaknesses, because poison creates problems for dex too..

Just why?
Mainly to further emphasize the importance of keeping maxed stats, and how it should be more work for older chars.

What was the inspiration for the acquired mental weakness for wis?

-I just noticed that low wis races just happened to have a charm weakness (Giants/Mino/Slith) so I expanded on that idea

Seems like you're just nuking chars to me.

-Basically yes, but older chars(the ones most likely to suffer from these situations outside of negative stat skills/spells [which could become an ideal way to fight attrition wise] which is kind of intended) should have to fight harder or eventually succumb to the newer chars. (older and newer in terms of depreciated lives/stats)

Class types across the board should be able to gain tactics from it. I know Shamans already have a similar tactic already with flay health.

I know there are certain situations in which this enables cheese.. (hobble & dex-compromising poison tactics from ninja/thieves comes to mind) but those things can be mitigated or removed from the idea.

I just wanted to see what you guys thought before I would actually put numbers together in a race sensitive scenario for points of excessively compromised stats.

Thoughts?

0 0 0
Stiehl26

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:19 pm    Post subject:

I think you have the basis of a good idea here. The kicker of it is that 95% of players just plain rage delete over the smallest things. I would discourage anything that gives these lemmings another excuse to rage delete. We need more 50's with more activity.

0 0 0
Amdorin

Location: No matter how much a failure, no life is worthless. You can always serve as a bad example.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:28 pm    Post subject:

I guess I'm pro death of chars... rage deleters will delete period.

0 0 0
Stiehl26

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:39 pm    Post subject:

I totally get what you are saying amadorin, I was just wondering if dev would code for something that would never happen...old age on a character.

0 0 0
Amdorin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:16 pm    Post subject:

I know Dav doesn't utilize the age factor and it's more of a homage to where this game came from, but I know there's a little sadist left in him to consider the stat idea Twisted Evil

0 0 0
Stiehl26

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:23 pm    Post subject:

As an addendum to your idea Am, if Dav caused characters to age faster (perhaps much faster), that would lend credence to having your idea implemented. I am sure it wouldnt be too hard to determine the average life (in hours) of all characters for, say, this year and adjust how quickly they age based upon that figure. Perhaps time spent with pvp generated adrenaline could slow down the aging process in some of the physical stats as the character is still in great shape from constantly testing themselves. Constitution, because you lose that for dying, may not be a stat that should be messed with too much...not sure though.

0 0 0
Amdorin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:57 pm    Post subject:

No, dav purposefully doesn't use it. It's only a novelty stat.

0 0 0
Faelon
Emissary

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:58 pm    Post subject:

I think the idea is a great one, excluding age based stuff. I like the game well enough with out it to be honest. But the rest of it is a really good idea, makes stat based spells/prayers a new way to blast people.

0 0 0
Dogran
Immortal

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:47 am    Post subject:

Wow, I really like that idea, has a lot of merit. Its realistic.

0 0 0
Resatimm
Takes the Cake

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:14 pm    Post subject:

Nadrin, make your avatar smaller, or I will mess with it, bring it in a few inches to the left.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: