Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 6 days, 2 hours.

Fighting arena / duelling / coterie?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rabidgecko

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:30 pm    Post subject:

Perhaps you shouldn't be able to leave the area until you yield or die -- like ensnare. That lets evils or chaotics have a longer window to chase after people when they yield

0 0 0
Nakachi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:17 pm    Post subject:

Another ADD-IN, maybe have the randomized area be based on the level of the duelling participants. Then, areas could be more/less dangerous depending if you are two 50's fighting as opposed to two 30's fighting. I might be getting this wrong in my head though because this idea is only based on whether or not aggro mobs would be included in the randomized area. On the one hand having the aggro mobs makes the duel more legit, but on the other hand it leaves room for an unfair fight. Feedback.

0 0 0
Ergorion

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:30 pm    Post subject:

Gadlo, that system can be abused so easily. You're fighting a dk and he's got you down to 26hp, you run to the juggernaut, have your friend challenge you, you accept, and now you can't be killed. Or you see five Legions on (I know, impossible) and you decide to protect yourself by getting lendorav to challenge you.

Regarding the mobs in the areas. I think there shouldn't be mobs in the duelling areas because as you said, certain players could use them to turn the tide in the fight rather quickly without much skill on their parts. Arena duels should be a test of who is the more skilled fighter, not who has the trickier tricks.

0 0 0
Gadlo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:39 pm    Post subject:

you already can't duel with addrenaline...as far as that goes, so no real need to change that, plus can always kill the juggernaut to stop the duel, but most people wouldn't be an ass about that, I would hope.

0 0 0
Ergorion

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:35 pm    Post subject:

You can't enter the arena with adrenaline, you can accept a duel challenge.

Back to the fighting coterie thing.

I like the idea of having a coterie dedicated to fighting. Maybe the coterie people could have a special coterie-only duelling arena which you can enter only if both duelling parties are coterie members.

Perhaps you could incorporate some of the forms from the Warlords into the coterie, but have them apply only when two members of the coterie are fighting each other and not when a member of the coterie is fighting a non-coterie target.

Another thing that might be interesting and draw people to the new coterie is having the coterie be nomagic admittance only and giving them stance and whatever the warlord skill was that granted detect invis. No forms, just a sanc equivalent and detect invis equivalent. I think something like that would not disrupt the balance of the game, but at the same time provide an exclusive appeal to the coterie, which I think is vital for healthy membership.

Though the nomagic requirement would exclude all but the warrior classes, which might be a problem.

Possibly you could have different subsets within the coterie. Have the warrior class division (which could be nomagic), the cleric division, the mage division, the rogue division, and the hybrid division. Where the members within each division try to best the other divisions and the winning division after each week could get some kind of prize. Perhaps some coterie-only equipment. Or the trophies. Or maybe the prize can be dependent upon which division is dominant for the week.

If the warriors are dominant they might get a single form. If the rogues are dominant, they might get a small increase in luck for the upcoming week. If mages are dominant, they could get a perma break of something small like 4 or 5 for the week. If clerics win they might get +50 mana for the week. And if hybrids win, I don't know. I can't think of anything for the hybrids. Plus 2/2 to hit/dam for the week?

A benefit to the divisions is that it could help highlight things that are not balanced quite right. If you see warriors winning 95% of the fights against berserkers, then you might investigate why that number is so lopsided.

A fighting cabal like this could really thrive with membership from noobs who want to learn, and vets who want a character that can stance or whatever. With one Herald and few Mystics, a fighting coterie could bring coterie participation back into some more prominence.

0 0 0
Insom

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:26 am    Post subject:

Area mirror idea was not about mimicking all areas but just a select few chosen by you Dav. You get to pick which areas are most suitable for dueling. This is like all the fighting games out there that randomly picks a battleground. Also to add cabal like fighting elements, those clerics that goes around "oh you are hurt let me heal you", would be fairly cool.

0 0 0
Niladein

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:12 pm    Post subject:

I shall call it Warlords...

Hahaha trolling is so fun when you haven't been around in a year or so.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:13 pm    Post subject:

Might be a lot of truth in that though Niladein, challenge/record is all it needs, and a name. and a "retire' command for actual cabal chars to drop themselves into it with.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: