Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 6 days, 6 hours.

This topic is awaiting validation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ask an Immortal
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mandor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:33 am    Post subject: This topic is awaiting validation

This post is awaiting validation

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:39 am    Post subject:

Whatever, Mandor. Its a free country, you can post whatever you want. But keep in mind any misrepresentation of the facts will be responded to by somebody, and will probably just end up leaving you looking petty. I'd say what you are offering to submit needs some work. I have a list of approximitately 800 cases of cheating on AR to draw on, the vast majority of which do not end in cowboy sitebans.

Bans don't work on m1c0 because of his thousand ISPs. I've tried banning him one shell at a time and he's very thorough about posing as two people, talking with himself like other players would. It got to the point where it wasn't worth even banning him anymore because he tried so hard to look clean, he did a better job than some of the other players. Like, over-aggressive neutral chaotic thief? Tell me a player on this game who hasn't done that. I don't like those characters but its not like we haven't all done it and learnt what a mistake it is, then never played that again. Obviously he wants to play cleanly because he had learned I was looking to deny his characters not ban them.

Quote:

*.shellium.org
195.106.191.90.dyn.estpak.ee
venus.isix.net
blue.kracknet.net
sein.ut.ee
tsentraal.ee
venus.isix.ne
caffeine.imperialshells.net
*.linode.com
*.bshellz.net

Some of m1c0's shells that I banned in the space of 4 weeks before I decided it would be more effective to just watch and delete his characters. Notice that none of those are *.ee (i.e. I didnt ban the entire estonia over one guy) - there would be no point doing that.

Remmenon has been banned for probably 3 years and posts occasionally in the forums. He doesn't play this mud. He was useful to have around in the sense that he was like the local village idiot - someone with a big mouth and bad at pk'ing for the people in the community to take their collective frustrations out upon. He wasn't kept around so we could laugh at his jokes. We eventually banned him for picking on newbies.

I don't really believe in bans other than the *permanent* type anyway. But this isn't my ban. Its Resatimm's ban. I don't think Imms should be removing other peoples bans. Obviously he reads the forums and is aware you are still banned, he could look at your site and do something about it. He hasn't done so. Why is that my fault?

Besides that, until this note, this is the first time you have made any clear indication to me of not being responsible for posting the who list into chatrooms. When I said "I will look into it" what I later found was that, after asking Resatimm about this ban. And after recently reading the crap you were spouting on the forums as well, it made sense why there was a ban there and why I shouldn't be tripping over myself to remove that. Now if you were innocent in the matter that changes things, but I didn't see you trying to clear that up or get this mess fixed. I just see you on a crusade to escalate the thing into something even more monstrous. It looks like you want to try to defame the game's reputation and discredit the Immortals who have spent countless hours of their lives making this game worth playing, not cooperate with us and convince us that the ban should be removed. None of us put in those hours we did so that we could just behave like a bunch of lazy cowboys banning whole countries from playing. Scumbags who cheat are held in high contempt, obviously, but its your approach to dealing with this problem that has been your OWN undoing here. You have been treating the Imms disrespectfully and talking about the other players as if they are just shit. Its a bit late now to finally show us the "it wasn't me that did it" card, isnt it? Should've just said that in the first place, instead of spouting all that bullshit about how bad things are here. Even if you had been guilty, all you needed to say was "my ban should have expired, I'm sorry, please remove" - that's why the IP isnt banned from the forums. There was no need for the way you behaved.

Its really very tiring on me, that's the only emotional response I feel here. Yes, in the past, I have been much more short-tempered. This is because after doing a lot of coding, which is a frustrating task, people start to get on your nerves, and you over-react to things quite easily. It just can't be helped when you are working very hard. I don't really feel that way nowadays, but I did get 100% tired of putting up with it, and I rather leave the game for a while than stick around banning and slaying because I am angry. Maybe that is why its other owners are missing. Do you consider the plight of someone who actually tries running a free game? You all expect way too much for absolutely zero thanks in return - majority of playerbase does not even daily click vote link or put any effort into their character description. I also witness cheating every week that I have to delete peoples characters over (usually multi). I look at this and the zoo that is the forums every day and I still actually try to do something productive with the mud, after everybody else has given up on it. That is why when people who play AR read this they will know you are just full of shit. As for the previous owners leaving me in charge. Sorry, wrong. They just left. I hoped they'd return - I understand why they haven't - and eventually decided I'm on my own and I'd better start doing something. I waited two years before I proceeded on my own, found I wasn't very effective when trying to do everything by myself, and took a break. It was very discouraging, I admit. Its the lack of intelligent feedback from the forums which is the greatest problem I've faced. I will even have people telling me I shouldnt play the game when its like, how else am I supposed to figure out whats fine and what needs fixing? Not inside these drama-queen forum posts, I can tell you that. In fact I just wasted a couple hours on this instead of making a start on phase 2 of Keeper flags tonight. This is not what I am coming to the forum looking for. I am not the right person to confront about it, at all. I don't have time for player relations that doesn't come at the expense of something else, and the time spent on this post has sacrificed the time I would have spent working on Keepers in the quiet period of the day. What you obviously need me to look into is why that ban duration thing is not ticking down and removing itself when its due to. Its a task I need to get to but its obviously taking a back seat to other things I am required to code on.

Its a lot easier for you to contact and ask Resatimm yourself than for me to remember to do it. Its why I advised you to do this. Why haven't you done that? Do you think it is easier for me to do it?

Just some things to keep in mind before you submit your review.

0 0 0
Mandor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:55 pm    Post subject: This post is awaiting validation

0 0 0
Mandor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:09 pm    Post subject: This post is awaiting validation

0 0 0
Vanisse
Immortal

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:07 pm    Post subject:

no, the * indicates the variable. so for example, *.com would ban everything that ended in .com, while *booger.com would only ban booger.com but not monkey.com. etc.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ask an Immortal All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: