Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 6 days, 12 hours.

Is AC pointless at high levels?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ceridwel
Immortal

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:27 pm    Post subject: Is AC pointless at high levels?

As a warrior class at high levels (40+), is it more important to equip yourself with hitroll/damroll items and save equipment (depending on who you're fighting) and less important to worry about ac? I've always considered ac when equipping, but am wondering if this is pointless at high levels. Thanks.

0 0 0
_Clifton_
Emissary

Location: your and you're are not the same. they're, there, and their are not the same. learn to english.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:34 pm    Post subject:

nvm

0 0 0
Olyn
Immortal

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:58 pm    Post subject:

AC isn't pointless but I'd go for hit dam hp saves or moves over AC. That being said, I'd consider a difference of 50ac a reasonable trade for 1 dam if my AC sucked. Take giants for example. Storm giant doesn't actually have a magic vuln, but their horrible magic AC make armor class worth a second look.

0 0 0
kammkala6

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:03 pm    Post subject:

AC does not mean squat, try it out for yourself. Get something to hit you when you are at 0 and then lets say at -200 ac vs that weapon, the damage is exactly the same. High AC can make stuff miss but that almost never works at at higher levels, defences are what matter.

0 0 0
Kalist19
Emissary

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:36 pm    Post subject:

What the hell is an "AC"?

hit > dam > hp vs fighter
mal > hit > dam vs shaman/necro/vampire/dkn
mental > dam > hit vs ill
aff > dam > hit vs invoker

Some common sense required, i.e. Take 30/30 over 40/20 or 20/40

0 0 0
Ergorion

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:50 pm    Post subject:

I have heard that higher armor class slightly reduces the damage taken from certain weapons. If you have 0 armor class against slashing weapons and -200 armor class against slashing weapons, I believe you will take slightly less damage in the latter instance. Compounded over multiple rounds, this difference could add up.

That being said, I think that there starts to be less of an effect after you hit -150. I don't know why I think this, but I thought I heard somewhere that -150ac is some kind of delineating point and once you get over that you're pretty well set. So there wouldn't be much difference between -200ac and -400ac. On the AR shit website, there's a section on ac retards.

If you have an item that gives +3/+1 and no ac and an item that gives +1/+0 but gives -50ac, I would take the 3/1 item.

0 0 0
Ceridwel
Immortal

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:48 pm    Post subject:

Ergorion wrote:
On the AR shit website, there's a section on ac retards.

Found it, thanks.

"After level 35 (where all classes will have received their full regular defences), any enemy will easily get around armor class.

Armor class also offers some minor damage reduction, so it isn't totally worthless beyond those early levels, but definitely not a focal point. "

http://abandonedrealms.com/combat.php#armor

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:24 pm    Post subject:

You know I love yall and I'mma let you finish, but suit of armor signed with an eagle is the best armor of ALL TIME!

0 0 0
Amdorin

Location: No matter how much a failure, no life is worthless. You can always serve as a bad example.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:41 pm    Post subject:

Davairus wrote:
You know I love yall and I'mma let you finish, but suit of armor signed with an eagle is the best armor of ALL TIME!

*Amdo suddenly appears on Davairus' post, posing with his arms folded.*

0 0 0
Mandor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:16 pm    Post subject:

Olyn wrote:
AC isn't pointless but I'd go for hit dam hp saves or moves over AC. That being said, I'd consider a difference of 50ac a reasonable trade for 1 dam if my AC sucked. Take giants for example. Storm giant doesn't actually have a magic vuln, but their horrible magic AC make armor class worth a second look.

no foolin? I mean about AC to cover the giant magical would help them so well?

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: