Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 6 days, 12 hours.

Alternatives to Treant Thews

View previous topic :: View next topic  
geadin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:17 pm    Post subject: Alternatives to Treant Thews

I've been looking for an alternative to Treant Thews. The damroll and Hitroll bonuses are nice, But I want more saves vs magic. This is for a rogue class. Any suggestions?

0 0 0
Ceridwel
Immortal

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:53 am    Post subject:

You're not going to find a Set of armor that gives you both the hit/dam of TT *and* saves. At least not in any large degree.

What exactly are you looking for? if we know what kind of saves you're looking for, that might help.

0 0 0
geadin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:18 am    Post subject:

Maledictive would be my priority. Any other saves vs magic type would be fine though. At this point I have zero saves and a pesky necromancer is making my life hard. The only option I can think of is to gamble equipment and hope for the best.

0 0 0
bassball

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:23 am    Post subject:

Wyvern's eyes and wyvern's tongues give mal saves. Among a lot of other things. Blue steel is mal saves too, crimson steel even offers a little bit of mal saves, coupled with pretty good aff saves. Gambled gear can be REAL nice too. Just do what you gotta do.

0 0 0
geadin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:27 am    Post subject:

is it possible for gambled equipment to exceed Treant Thews in power?

0 0 0
Ceridwel
Immortal

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:03 pm    Post subject:

Probably the best resource for looking up items and their attributes is invokation.net. Bookmark it and use it often. The ID section there is what you'll use to look up items. For example for your save vs mal issue, use the search term "save_vs_maledictive".

As Bassball already pointed out, wyvern items are key. Use them to compliment your Thews set and you're good to go.

0 0 0
bassball

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:15 pm    Post subject:

geadin wrote:
is it possible for gambled equipment to exceed Treant Thews in power?

Absolutely! With good gambled gear you can get to be A LOT better then TT

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:47 am    Post subject:

Actually no, gambling is not much better. 2 dam-1dex in 8 slots with a 4/4 bonus at 50 approximates to 3 dam-1 dex in each of those slots. That's without considering the 50 hp and +3 str +3 con - the hp especially is OP. And the effort to actually get by the hit/dam of TT is humungous - you can definitely get beyond a TT damroll by breaking it, but the road is long and you could get ganked before you get there. And you need to gamble something special or forge it, and its like, why bother? Even with the fire vuln. Its difficult to justify even grabbing rares instead of TT, nevermind trying to gamble on top. That's why a lot of players have been using TT with rare off-pieces. Outside of a winter suit, what you're looking at is a competitive hit/dam.

Code:
naked hit/dam.     = 10/10
mithril/wood/etc.  = 19/23
treant thews.      = 18/31  (nothing gambled or rare)
treant thews. II   = 19/33  (appropriate gambles)
treant thews. III  = 19/38  (awesome gambles)
wood/7 easy rares  = 18/35
a lot of rares     = 20/38  (this set was compliant until I added 5 rare weapons to the character..it was also sub-optimal)
rares/winter allowed  = 34/36
winter/gambling     = 24/53

Conclusion: use TT until you get winter gear (probably never), or manage to gamble 5-6 badass items in TT slots and forge nice stuff on top (might not be worthwhile to casual players to spend that much time, since you'd get setback by gank/Keeper gank). The only way the fire vuln is even a big deal right now is if I decide to make the set much more difficult to remove after equipping...which I might

0 0 0
Ergorion

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:45 pm    Post subject:

Davairus wrote:
That's without considering the 40 hp and +4 str +4 con - the hp especially is OP.

Fixed.

0 0 0
geadin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:09 am    Post subject:

Thanks for the replies, I did go a bit over board with my saves. It looks like TT is good with a few save items. I was mainly looking for something to block that pesky sleep spell. Next time Aahdeya! ....if you're still around when I make my next character.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Newbie Q/A All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: