Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 6 days, 5 hours.

When to bash, when to kick, and when to trip

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ceridwel
Immortal

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:39 pm    Post subject: When to bash, when to kick, and when to trip

I'm playing around with some warrior-class characters and am confused about when to bash vs kick vs trip. Can someone shed some light on this? This might be too broad a question I guess...

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:46 pm    Post subject:

When youre outdamaging them you can bash/trip, otherwise, you'd only be helping to lag yourself dead. i've seen people do that on me a few times btw, rather hilarious to watch. Rarely kick... it can be used to finish someone in awful condition and that couple hp is all you need to shave off, but otherwise the recovery time is bad and I'd go for the overhead, hobble, even a dirt, etc. even vs mages youd probably want to just flee murder them. Other than that, the winding kick might be the only reason to use it. Berserkers dont get kick and do you know how many complaints i've heard about that?

0 0 0
Olyn
Immortal

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:22 pm    Post subject:

You can kick mages with all their spells up when you're fighting in a situation where you can't flee. That's the only thing I can think to add.

0 0 0
Phostan
Immortal

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:19 am    Post subject:

I read this as you want to know when to use bash, as opposed to trip. And kick vs trip, and kick vs bash, etc. I'm kind of rusty on exact mechanics, but I was under the impression trip lagged for less time, but it worked more often, at least, on players with moderate to low dexterity. Then bash I thought lagged for 2 rounds, but had extra lag if you missed the bash(maybe I'm thinking bodyslam here?), and was size based, eg, dwarves bashing giants didn't do so well, but giants bashing dwarves is highly effective. And then yeah, there's kick, which is really only great when there's nothing else to use and there's nothing you need to be ready to respond to, eg; your opponent isn't about to dispel you or switch weapons to gain combat advantage. Personally if an opponent was in awful I'd be itching ready to move and attack the second they flee, or if they had protective shield, flying and weapon ward up, I'd be nailing them with hit and runs(murder, flee, murder flee). But yeah, there's my 2 cents.

0 0 0
Resatimm
Takes the Cake

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:56 am    Post subject:

Shaman vs. Elf Healer. With the elf spelled up and equipped well, the shaman sometimes resorts to kick just to do extra damage instead of trying to dispel the -79 save mental. It is actually very useful when you are in a stalemate fight like that. A sliver of damage is usually all that keeps you from death.

0 0 0
Mandor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:42 am    Post subject:

Resatimm wrote:
Shaman vs. Elf Healer. With the elf spelled up and equipped well, the shaman sometimes resorts to kick just to do extra damage instead of trying to dispel the -79 save mental. It is actually very useful when you are in a stalemate fight like that. A sliver of damage is usually all that keeps you from death.

Res, where you been? Healer's dispel magic is aff based, shaman is mal based.

0 0 0
Eloret
Immortal

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:03 pm    Post subject:

Davairus wrote:
Berserkers dont get kick and do you know how many complaints i've heard about that?

Won't hear me complain about that heh...I think zerkers do a ton of damage already.

Personally iolo I don't use any of those things until my opponent is injured enough that I think I can finish him off with lagging him because if you miss he has two round lag to flee and get far enough away to possible disappear on you.

0 0 0
Resatimm
Takes the Cake

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:10 pm    Post subject:

Mandor wrote:
Resatimm wrote:

Res, where you been? Healer's dispel magic is aff based, shaman is mal based.

Wow. My last elf healer was Kersh. That was a long long long time ago! lol I had no idea. I am not a coder, and do not play test right now, so I wouldnt know all the stuff like that anymore.

0 0 0
Ceridwel
Immortal

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:10 pm    Post subject:

Astinor wrote:
I read this as you want to know when to use bash, as opposed to trip. And kick vs trip, and kick vs bash, etc. I'm kind of rusty on exact mechanics, but I was under the impression trip lagged for less time, but it worked more often, at least, on players with moderate to low dexterity. Then bash I thought lagged for 2 rounds, but had extra lag if you missed the bash(maybe I'm thinking bodyslam here?), and was size based, eg, dwarves bashing giants didn't do so well, but giants bashing dwarves is highly effective. And then yeah, there's kick, which is really only great when there's nothing else to use and there's nothing you need to be ready to respond to, eg; your opponent isn't about to dispel you or switch weapons to gain combat advantage. Personally if an opponent was in awful I'd be itching ready to move and attack the second they flee, or if they had protective shield, flying and weapon ward up, I'd be nailing them with hit and runs(murder, flee, murder flee). But yeah, there's my 2 cents.

Yep this is exactlty the kind of info I'm looking for. Keep it coming folks!

0 0 0
Mandor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:22 am    Post subject:

If I had to be general about it, I'd say.

high dex vs low dex = trip lower dex.
low dex vs high dex = worth a chance if its all you've got.
trip lag is 1.5 rounds on target, 2 rounds on you.

high str vs low str = bash lower str.
low str vs high str = worth a chance if its all you've got.
bash lag is 2-3 rounds on target, size bonus and str vs depending, and 2 rounds if you hit, 3 if you miss, on you.

if both people are equal in all stats, then use the one thats more likely to connect, which is trip, or use the one that has a little less chance but more lag, which is bash.

0 0 0
Dispater

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 12:58 am    Post subject:

Unless you are a giant or you got bash mastered and the target hobbled, dont bother bashing when enemy is already losing. He may flee at any second and you dont want to cause unnecessary delay which prevents you from following him/her.

Trip is way weaker than bash, works well against low dex chars if you happen to be a high dex one, but still, don't rely it on getting you kills.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: