Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 5 days, 4 hours.

"Accomplishments" for the forum

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vhrael
Immortal

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:33 pm    Post subject: "Accomplishments" for the forum

You know how a lot of Flash games out there have various "accomplishments" that you can complete and get a badge or something on em? And from what I've read, I think WoW has something similar. Basically something like our 'questor' system, where it shows what you've achieved during that character's life?

I wish we could do something similar to that for AR players. Like on the forum, you could click on their name and see little icons for...

"Led (cabal/coterie) as (Forsaken/Commander/Executor/High Herald/etc.)"
"Had a character with over 500 hours"
"Nerdraged after level 36"
"Received a custom title"
"Played for (1/2/5/10/etc.) years"
"Had a character with over (X) PKs"
"Had a character with over (X) rating"
"Been granted a Vampire"

I could go on and on with ideas, but A) I don't think it could get implemented at least with our current forum, and B) I don't know if it would be worth looking into (if people would get interested in it, etc.). I just thought it'd be interesting to see what people have done in their AR careers, instead of reminiscing and listening to people talk about what they've done but maybe not remembering as clearly as events really did transpire.

Anyway... there's my random spewage for the day. Carry on.

0 0 0
geadin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:15 pm    Post subject:

I like this idea and can see many ways of it being implemented. Would we have a player's history community governed?(The community sets the players history...imms..or whoever). Or would we have the server keep track? I personally don't like sending humans to do a machine's job.

0 0 0
Kaniyre

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:03 am    Post subject:

This is a great idea, could work together with the Character of the year yadda yadda thing. However, some people may not want to reveal who they play. Mystique tsk.

0 0 0
Kalist19
Emissary

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:29 pm    Post subject:

Would we all have to start for scratch or would the accomplishments of old farts get grandfathered in?

0 0 0
Groq
Immortal

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:03 pm    Post subject:

I'm with grandfathered in that's for sure haha.

0 0 0
Ceridwel
Immortal

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:59 am    Post subject:

Neat idea. I agree that there's a hurdle to get over though in terms of keeping character identities hidden, for those who want it hidden anyways. Maybe wait to award an accomplishment until the person's character is in the Graveyard?

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:22 am    Post subject:

You're proposing something which is account-based rather than character-based and we don't even have those... in wow its something which gets tacked onto your character , also it doesn't serve any purpose besides vanity. A lot of "accomplishments" are just grind, like e.g. master all weapons, loot 1000000 gold. Attain level 50. Explore every area. Wear a rare in every slot. Where it is fun to look at (especially when they first appear on your screen to notify you that you "Achieved"something)...... but you don't really bother twice unless its by happy accident or incidental.

I was not totally opposed to the idea BUT (1) it is a blatant rip from wow and we need to distinguish ourselves from that "game" if we don't want to eventually prefer it (2) i'm not entirely sure how exactly to display this to the player in the absence of a point-click interface. Maybe some kind of hookup to the /players data site, but then the issue is having to increase the size of the databaze, which increases mud's ram consumption a lot since every pfile is always loaded up for the sql-server.

0 0 0
Olyn
Immortal

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:22 pm    Post subject:

At first I didn't like this idea at all. Then I thought, "Maybe some people will like this setup and it would get better forum behavior...people could click that a post was beneficial to gain some points or a thumbs down to lose points." Then I thought, if someone has the time to implement this then go for it. Then I felt people looking at me and decided it wasn't such a good idea after all.

0 0 0
Dogran
Immortal

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:57 pm    Post subject:

Olyn wrote:
At first I didn't like this idea at all. Then I thought, "Maybe some people will like this setup and it would get better forum behavior...people could click that a post was beneficial to gain some points or a thumbs down to lose points." Then I thought, if someone has the time to implement this then go for it. Then I felt people looking at me and decided it wasn't such a good idea after all.

Hahah, We love you Olyn.

0 0 0
Ceridwel
Immortal

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:10 pm    Post subject:

Olyn wrote:
Then I felt people looking at me...

Your fly is open.

0 0 0
geadin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:18 am    Post subject:

basicly we'd have a master account that all your characters would be linked too. you'd log in with that account, select the character to play, then enter the mud. or select another option to roll a new character, delete character etc. This would also fix the issue of forgetting character names....I may or may not have done that *cough* once implemented the affects on memory would barely be noticeable. The hardest part would be linking the forum and the mud. we'd have to decide how we would want accounts authorized, the way we do it now is odd but effective. in fact there are probably measure we could take to cut spam accounts..... Those things have to be eating space.

0 0 0
Resatimm
Takes the Cake

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:54 am    Post subject:

I am the biggest coding fuck up, and have no idea how to upgrade the forum software, so why am *I* the admin??

GEEZUS!

At least AR is active enough to have ... 77900+ users. Wow. I wish some of them played.

0 0 0
Olyn
Immortal

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:10 am    Post subject:

Resatimm wrote:
At least AR is active enough to have ... 77900+ users. Wow. I wish some of them played.

In case anyone was wondering, that number includes thousands of spambots who want to ruin our forums with spam/ads. Waiting a few days to get admin approval to post is worth not seeing that garbage.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: