Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 6 days, 8 hours.

Bard sanc?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Morbious

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:54 pm    Post subject: Bard sanc?

I thought a bard, as far as abilities are concerned, would have a song that grants sanc. I just made one so I'm no expert on them but they offer a ton of beneficial songs to the group and healing. Much like a healer; in that way. But, no sanc? Would that make them over powered? There is no true support class for the neutral walkers, I realize they're role in Thera is different but they still have their abilities. Lights have a healer, Shadow has a shaman both have sanc, and The bard doesn't get the most important support aura in the game? I'm probably totally wrong but I just wanted to think out loud. Ha

0 0 0
Eloret
Immortal

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:21 pm    Post subject:

Overpowered with sanc imo but then again they are not supposed to PK almost at all except in defence to my understanding.

0 0 0
Rezakhan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:17 pm    Post subject:

Between counterbalance, shield of words, and the ability to cure themselves, bards are already pretty beast defensively--with sanc they would be near untouchable.

0 0 0
Olyn
Immortal

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:41 pm    Post subject:

If bards had sanc, you could run most of winter with just a warrior and a bard.

0 0 0
Morbious

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:26 am    Post subject:

hmmm dont shamans have protective shields, cure critical, sanctuary, armor, even all the curative spells as well, posion curse and detects and such. How is that not make them on par with a bard as far as a support class? I mean no disrespect I'm just looking for clarity

0 0 0
Voltron

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:57 am    Post subject:

If you give bards sanc they become a healer with dodge and counterbalance and enhanced damage and third attack and dirt kick. Throw in the seasons song and they become an invoker and the spider song gives them charmies like a necro/ranger. Bards are already super uber if you really try and pk with them. Imo.

They're like a ranger/thief/invoker/healer combo. Wtf would be better then that? lol

0 0 0
Morbious

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:05 am    Post subject:

no that makes sense, like I said I'm quite new to them are they are very exciting. I was just asking about more for the neutral aligned people not really having a substitute for the light walkers healer, and the shadow spawn's shaman.

0 0 0
Morbious

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:06 am    Post subject:

oh and I dont think Bard's get third attack, I could be wrong

0 0 0
Niusan
Immortal

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:39 am    Post subject:

Bards having sanc would dominate all. They can be very powerful if they were allowed to PVP as they are, but with sanc? Even in PVE, you have shield of words for ac+anti mobs, now with sanc? I love bards as much as the next RPer closet PVPer but... heheh. You said you are new to bards. Explore the class more and let me know what you think after you have gained a fair amount of experience as the class. A fine question though.

0 0 0
Morbious

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:18 am    Post subject:

Hmm I will do that, one thing I was surprised about is twilight faeries cant be sung in battle? So the only combat healing is soothing melody? Is that like cure light?

0 0 0
Eloret
Immortal

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:40 pm    Post subject:

As far as comparing bards to shamans, Shamans do not get dodging skills. Let alone counterbalance...They are two completely different rp's and classes totally. Bard and Caballed Warrior could do winter alone as it is. All they need is for the warrior to invest quite a bit of gold in defender potions.

0 0 0
Erlwith

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:39 pm    Post subject:

Lol I think you all give bards way too much credit. In specific circumstances they can be ight (newbie dwarf getting flailed by seasons song, etc.) but for the most part they're a pretty gimp class as far as I can see it. As far as sanc, there are only 4 out of 13 classes with the spell and I think that speaks for itself.

0 0 0
Morbious

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:01 pm    Post subject: hmmm

Well I've gotten pretty far in ranking now, and decently geared and still compared to other classes I do not feel on par. Just my two pennies, as I will continue to give a bard hope

0 0 0
Vevier
Immortal

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:24 pm    Post subject:

Bards are pretty sweet. The biggest thing that would be overpowered about bards having sanc is that they don't ever get to target their songs. You get a six man group in winter, bard sings "Davairus lalala we like you lots, bless us, huh?" whole group gets sanc, bard sits out of combat spamming twilight and catching ticks, especially slowed, you're pretty much set for any situation. Any time you get a bard in a group, the bigger the group is, the more beneficial they become. Got a swinging baddie? Have the bard sit out and spam heal every one, then lullaby them for a few hours, wake them when its time, sing one song so they get 7/7, two more songs to bump that up to +7/+12 or something.

Also, the spider song doesn't work like charmies work. It calls spiders down and they support the bard the way a lot of creatures with the same name will jump in and support each other. Attacking them doesn't provoke aggro on the bard and they don't follow her to the next room nor can they carry items or anything.

Twilight can't be sung in battle because it is too powerful of a healing song for that, with too short of a cooldown. A bard spamming it would have too much of an advantage.

From a roleplaying standpoint, the classes that get sanc either have a 'higher power' sort of source or a clear magical source. The bards songs are based around using her voice to affect the world. Devil's dance gets stuck in your head and you're forced to jug, soothing melody is a sweet tone that makes you feel better, healing laughter makes you smile and laughter is the best medicine, half a dozen songs summon creatures from the wilderness for assistance (Mystery, Scourge of the Black Widow, Twilight). Shield of words uses the power of her voice to make a literal shield over the listeners, you'd need to have a pretty kick ass voice to force a sanctuary, or get a creature that could grant sanctuary to come to your call.

@Morbious Bards are generally a roleplaying class, they're balanced for pvp, but they are the most supporty class in the game. Great for roleplaying. Apply to heralds Very Happy

Last edited by Vevier on Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:53 am; edited 1 time in total

0 0 0
Morbious

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:35 am    Post subject:

Thanks vevier, that makes things pretty clear. I have several characters on here but have yet to be in winter. So I can see how winter applications work well for a bard. Most of my characters are neutral and I often prefer it that way, I just noticed the void for a neutral support class, not to mention the only way a neutral can grant sanc is through and invoker. Granted the whole party sanc I can see would be over powered, but there are songs that affect only the bard like, Let it be known I believe is an example, and a sing 'blahblah' target inst unfeasible (I think). I could be wrong though. Would Independently receiving sanc like the other classes be over powered still. The lights have healers and pallys able to grant such an aura and heal; the shadow spawns have shamans that can heal and aura. While neutrals have only invokers which cannot heal. Not saying to give neutrals a break here I am learning there place in thera more and more each day, its just a bit rough to form groups with out taking a definite side in some cases. I'm not complaining at all as my bard is barely over the hump; and this might be premature.

0 0 0
Morbious

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:38 am    Post subject:

oh and maybe the whole sing 'blahblah' target, can be classified as a dedication. As songs are often sung towards one person in reality. Just 2 pennies

0 0 0
Vevier
Immortal

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:52 am    Post subject:

The songs that only affect that bard are very specific and can't affect anyone else. Off the top of my head let it be known is the only one and mourn for the lost is the only song that can target (and then only a corpse).

Neutrals aren't really lacking for sancers, we can group with goodies and baddies, and as much as I also want a neutral cleric, its really not a niche that's important to fill right now.

Its easy to sing a song to someone, I'll give you that. But its hard for the third party standing watching the song being sung not to also hear. We have to assume that bards are decent singers, if you're in a group your character is listening for that sweet voice and is going to pay attention to it, even if she's singing for someone else.

That aside, it would still be overpowered, unless bards were turned to clerics only and their rogue skills taken away, along with a lot of their damage spells. Bards are more like paladins and dark-knights, except they hybrid songs and rogue skills rather than cleric and fighter types.

0 0 0
Morbious

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:03 am    Post subject:

well said vevier. I'm done.... for now haha naw, I'll keep giving 100% to the bard and see what happens

0 0 0
Morbious

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:06 am    Post subject:

P.S. I'm 100% for a neutral cleric HA!

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: