Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 4 days, 12 hours.

Group Quests

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ergorion

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:55 am    Post subject: Group Quests

In response to this whole roleplaying is dead schtick, I've come up with an idea that would possibly help ameliorate the situation a tiny bit. Group quests.
As I said in the roleplaying thread, I'm not talking about the Xanthak or Winter quests where in effect you need a group to complete them, I'm talking about a quest whose activation necessitates a group and whose completion necessitates a group even if it is just a group of 2 people.

I'm envisioning these quests as a choose your own adventure in order to facilitate conversation.

For example. Let's say that Odile is a group-quest granter. In order to get the quest, you will have to be in a group with your groupmates present at Odile. He would say something along the lines of: "Ah. Three young adventurers wish to take on a challenging enterprise. If you wish to accept the challenge, have the leader of the group tell me: yes."

Once the group has accepted, Odile will present two options. Please note, these are my shitty quest creations formulated for the purpose of this idea. Odile will continue by saying something like: "You have a choice young adventurers. You may help Farmer Griff or the Captain of Solace. Which do you choose?"

The group then talks about what they want to do, and the leader tells Odile, "We want to help the Captain of Solace."

Odile nods and then the quest begins: Help the Captain of Solace.

This little group goes to the Captain of Solace where they have yet another choice. When they enter the room with the Captain, the Captain looks them over and pulls out a checklist. He says "Ah. Odile told me you would be coming. I have a couple tasks you could set yourselves to. The hobgoblin flunkies have been menacing the farmers of Crystalmir Lake, you could bring me their heads. Or some of my townguards have been under preforming, slay five of them to set an example."

The group talks among themselves for a bit and decide that they're a strong group of level 20s and will kill the town guards. They kill the guards. The captain says well done. And the return to Odile where they get a reward.

With the quests, I'm thinking that there should be several options for a reward, but naturally the group doesn't get to choose the reward, it happens randomly. I'm thinking along the lines of: 1/3 chance that the group gains experience, 1/3 chance that the group gains some useful item (like monster potions, nothing uberl33t), and a 1/3 chance that the group gets an rp item.

fin.

0 0 0
Ozaru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:31 pm    Post subject:

this group quest is along the lines of the spider quest or the oaken beast quest which is good because it is doing something together. It would probably be more beneficial to do something involving ranking though so people would actually do it. Maybe a timer quest like, if you kill all lady rangers before your monster pot expires, you get extra gold. Plus something like that could teach people to be more efficient in their movements and actually finding and killing all of them.

maybe like a voltron quest where you kill all of one mob and their souls and powers combine to form a boss that gives more exp and eq that can be used by the group, maybe like webbed rings or something that way you can rank and get eq at the same time.

Anyhoo I am sure everyone has good ideas I say keep em coming and maybe it will get implemented!

0 0 0
Niusan
Immortal

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:57 pm    Post subject:

I actually think this is an interesting idea. Maybe it could not just be a quest but a task of sorts, possibly with no time restriction? I mention the task part because it could be a 'repeating' thing. This kind of helps break the mundane grind of getting XP.

0 0 0
Voltron

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:48 pm    Post subject:

I kinda like Ozaru's idea of "forcing" them to be quick. It's SO painful for me to see how terribly slow people are when they're groupin up and then killing nymphs. I almost scratch my eyes out because I'm like, "what the hell are you doing? Why is it taking fifteen minutes to do this crap." That's why I always roll a char who can tank. lolz. I don't know how important all that is as far as rp goes.. in fact it probably isn't important at all. But I think maybe it's important for the newer and under experienced players we have. If there's an effective way we could achieve that outcome then that'd be fantastic.

Quote:
maybe like a Voltron quest where you kill all of one mob and their souls and powers combine to form a boss

Also, this is awesome. I don't think it would be appropriate for all mobs. Like I can't imagine killing 5 lady rangers and then having to fight... a giant lady ranger? But maybe kill all the brownies and they awaken some long Forgotten Massive King Brownie of Gnome Smashing.
Heck, you could even have the crystal oozes themselves combine together and cause their gelatinous forms to create the image of a gigantic robotic humanoid, Voltron Defender of the Universe.

0 0 0
Ergorion

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:57 pm    Post subject:

Ozaru wrote:
this group quest is along the lines of the spider quest or the oaken beast quest which is good because it is doing something together. It would probably be more beneficial to do something involving ranking though so people would actually do it.

The idea I'm presenting is the general structure of the group quest. The individual components were something I arbitrarily threw together. So the whole 'kill all the hobgoblins/kill 5 townguards' can be replaced by anything.

I would prefer that these quests not have anything to do with normal ranking because their purpose is to avoid the powerrank-to-50-YEAH! mindset and instead encourage a little bit of in-game character interaction.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:48 pm    Post subject:

I think you're right, we should have some sort of group quest thing. I just don't know how it works in AR. Its pretty easy to make up lame quests for dungeons, but our dungeons are ... keep, gasteride, redhorne, winter... underworld. Basically only for high levels.

I would also rather (a) have more vibrant, cooler quests like killing sorbus (b) not repeat the same shit, because i'd rather just bust rangers than repeat the same quest.

But group quest could target rareholders I guess...maybe dark-knights have to kill sir sorrow to learn how to get unholy strength , etc..

0 0 0
Xerties

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:33 am    Post subject:

What about having some dungeons for lower levels. Things that are similar in structure to Winter and Redhorne (aggro mobs guarding relatively nice gear) but lower in difficulty. This would create a place to put these quests and, more importantly, give lower levels and newbs a taste of the concept of higher level dungeon raids.

I know there are already some places like this (Mahn Tor comes to mind), but maybe we could have a few more.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:53 am    Post subject:

Hmm, I honestly hadn't thought of mahn-tor as a dungeon, but you're right..

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: