Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 4 days, 14 hours.

how to rank as a mage?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fireballer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:15 pm    Post subject:

Vevier wrote:
I didn't read that jibe at Olyn as good humor. It was actually incredibly rude, especially considering the personal time he has put into cleaning up the game and working on the website.

And yes, a module does take that much time.

Now, considering the Mage Module...

I don't have any knowledge, so don't anyone assume that this is what its going to be.

Considering that the combat module affected the way skills worked with including what weapon you were using and what your opponent was wearing. I would expect a similar reworking of magic skills.

what jibe. Im going to PM you far more abusive comments made to imms by key people. I go out of my way to moderate my own posts so they are as little of harm as possible.

Last edited by Fireballer on Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:26 pm; edited 4 times in total

0 0 0
Vevier
Immortal

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:27 pm    Post subject:

I'm done speaking to you. Go back and reread your post.

0 0 0
Fireballer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:54 pm    Post subject:

I feel bad that I cause you so much grief and I'd like us to be able to communicate for the betterment of the state of the game.

0 0 0
Thorgoth
Immortal

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:48 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
4. A module is a lot of work. Be patient with us in this regard, we all have a lot going on outside of the game. Every time we have to pull people to the description room, rename room, yell at people for not playing by the rules is time away from improving the game in other ways.

Don't act like there aren't people who are waiting to take over this kind of grunt work. Twisted Evil

I'm certainly not going to get involved in this big mess of blah blah, but I don't think mages have it too hard, nor do I think it is as hard as you guys are making it out to sound. You fight for pinnacle because when you hit 50 any mage class will destroy a warrior in PvP. I can sit and see that about 80% of the newbies that log on are tanker classes.

I will back Fireballer up and say that quest are much better to be performed at higher ranks because the difficulty of mobs increase a sustainable amount and then you have to beg lvl 50's to spend their time to rank you instead of doing runs or pking. I'm not necessarily saying that we need to change them back, but we might want to consider adding more higher level quest that are obtainable with 1/2 man crews that provide decent exp. Secondly I'd much rather save them for upper ranks because I can easily solo a mage to level 30(with surges), but after that you start to struggle a bit because you just don't have the damage output/hp to tank those mobs. On the other hand, you are in ranking range with people who are going caballed and are trying to hit 40 as fast as possible so you just jump on the band wagon. Remember, when all else fails just threaten them within an inch of their life and force them to do your bidding. Geez people, haven't I taught you anything?

0 0 0
Ozaru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:48 pm    Post subject:

Ok go back and search for module and click on the one burzuk was talking about. this long awaited afflictive module to my understanding is just for invokers. Illusionists and necros already got their changes, Invokers are the last of the mages to be changed. So what we can expect in the future is some snazzy change to invoker damage or new spells. But thats about it, again from what I read about in Burzuks post has nothing to do with combat skills or counters to a warrior, simply one more class to finish. If I am wrong please respond so people have the right information.

By the way its not easy to think of ways to utilize different skills/spells per class combo to make them very unique. I think we all take for granted the work that was put in to make ills and necros highly specialized, more so necros imho since you can go mal, dam or afflictive, where as with ills you just have hit roll. Needless to say since I don't play mages I don't benefit from the hard work, but it sure is interesting to die in different ways instead of the old acidblast spam

0 0 0
Olyn
Immortal

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:13 am    Post subject:

Fireballer wrote:
Im surprised you didn't know this Olyn. Storm giants, like all giants, are particularly good at smashing low strength races. Its one of the reasons the Unholy Fire Warrior Of Doom works out. They can just forgo hitroll and go massive damroll, and rely on RnG in fights with par strength races, and overwhelm with strength on subpar strength races. [Qualifier!] Particularly after hobble is introduced, seeing how its success is based on strength too, and removes one of the defenses that strength vs strength doesn't deal with

You're confusing factors that make your parry more effective and factors that make your own attacks harder to parry.

0 0 0
Fireballer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:30 am    Post subject:

Olyn wrote:
Fireballer wrote:
Im surprised you didn't know this Olyn. Storm giants, like all giants, are particularly good at smashing low strength races. Its one of the reasons the Unholy Fire Warrior Of Doom works out. They can just forgo hitroll and go massive damroll, and rely on RnG in fights with par strength races, and overwhelm with strength on subpar strength races. [Qualifier!] Particularly after hobble is introduced, seeing how its success is based on strength too, and removes one of the defenses that strength vs strength doesn't deal with

You're confusing factors that make your parry more effective and factors that make your own attacks harder to parry.

not really. from a defensive standpoint, your strength being high makes it easier for you to parry, conversely your strength being low makes it harder for you to parry, if we were to take a 21-22 in the str stat as a baseline. that means all mages have a parry deficit when facing mobs (they have high stats from what I've heard imms say), which is usually their only defense. even if you're a low strength fighter (humans get +1 to str for fighter classes, so we're talking gnomes, halflings, elves, etc.), you get 3 defenses, and then one of your defenses is souped up as the dex-dodge defense, largely compensating for your difficulty in parrying, although not completely. now take this same race, and take away their compensating ability, and you have an inferior parry, which is whats so helpful against mobs to begin with. And it makes sense for 21 str to be the baseline, since all strength races have 21 or more, and human gets 21 if it picks fighters, and all dex races have 20 or (most often) less.

low str race vs high str race, the former has a hard time parrying, the later has an easier time. that easier time means you need more hitroll as the low str race to overcome his parry. the higher str race needs less hitroll to overcome enemy parry because they have lower strength.

0 0 0
divsky
Emissary

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:15 am    Post subject:

Quote:
I am slightly disappointed at how slow things come out. wasn't religion brought up back in '07?

The Religion update came out a few months ago. I started playing again in July, and it was added just a couple of weeks after that.

*edit: Disregard I totally misread that

0 0 0
Fireballer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:24 am    Post subject:

Ozaru wrote:
Can someone explain what the mage module would kind of be like? I just don't have the vision to see what mages can be equipped with to make casting spells easier or doing more damage spells with things like save breaks already in the game.

You know what could be a simple solution to ranking, is actually leaving everything the same, but creating a double repop so there is less down time. Like in mud school the monsters in the cages repop really fast. During a surge everything should be faster right? If you could kill 10 ladies per round instead of 5 you can maximize your efficiency and you don't have to wait for groups to leave the forest which can get really frustrating.

What shouldn't be lost in this is a lot of people who do play mages make human/ what ever which has a low xp hole to begin with. How many races can roll out an annihilate with sanc dropping, or even make your sanc drop and steam roll you. Granted with saves and save breaks things can get tricky but thats why mages are meant for better players because they are more challenging.

I guess my whole point to starting this thread is when you see the complete dominance of fighter classes it is because they are just easier to rank and you see less people willing to try and play a mage because they all fear they won't get a group. Myself included, like the imms already stated I am sure all of our suggestion are reviewed but lets not beat people over the head with them.

and actually for those who wonder about the aff module, part of it is actually out already. we've been playing with these released portions of the aff module since 2006.

http://www.abandonedrealms.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2958&start

the invoker one is part of it that hasnt been released yet.

Last edited by Fireballer on Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:52 am; edited 2 times in total

0 0 0
Viggs

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:49 am    Post subject:

Sorry I was late to the ball
Yes Thiefy Hellstream sure would help me to solo ,, then again Solo is the kind of sex I have sooo , not sure how great that is lol

0 0 0
Fireballer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:56 am    Post subject:

Olyn wrote:
Fireballer wrote:
then most mobs got increases to their damage and health, making them take longer.

Fireballer wrote:
all mages have 20 or less strength. this means that they have a much harder time overcoming mobs' parry skill. strength difference check is one thing that helps deal with the parry skill.

This is all news to me, but you obviously know more than the game's staff. Dex is the base stat for hitroll, which is what covercomes parry, along with stuff like weapon matchup and foreign weapon penalty.

http://abandonedrealms.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6972&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=20

Davairus wrote:
like 25 str being your best possible shot at stopping parry [from working?]

maybe dav misspoke though. simplest solution would be to roll up a giant and then play no hitroll vs mages and see if you still hit and don't get parried.

speaking of which, theres not really very many active level 50 mages of the evil persuasion. Sad

0 0 0
Ergorion

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:01 am    Post subject:

Fireballer wrote:
speaking of which, theres not really very many active level 50 mages of the evil persuasion. Sad

This always swings. Don't worry about it. But back to the topic at hand.

How to solo rank as a mage:

1) Illu: grind slowly up until you get dupliacte, phantom illusions, and slow. THEN, duplicate shit, spell them up, and kill shit with illusions. Win.

2) Necro: grind slowly up until you get golems, zombies, vampiric touch and toxic flux (I don't know how soul siphon works). Create golems, raise a corpse, kill shit with toxic flux, and when you need to heal use vampiric touch with a necromancer's breakstone ring. Win. (protip: wear hp gear)

3) Invoker: gouge your eyes out. You're not soloing an invoker.

A necro and illusionist can take footmen in the mid-to upper forties. You may only get 40/50xp per footman, but you can do 2/3 in a round. Soloing just takes patience, unless you're an invoker, then you're dead.

0 0 0
divsky
Emissary

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:16 am    Post subject:

To Ergorian:

I'm pretty sure using dupes, golems, or zombies to rank cuts experience gained in half. Makes it pretty hard to rank when you're already fighting things that give you 50xp a kill because that's all you can tank.

0 0 0
Ergorion

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:13 am    Post subject:

divsky wrote:

I'm pretty sure using dupes, golems, or zombies to rank cuts experience gained in half. Makes it pretty hard to rank when you're already fighting things that give you 50xp a kill because that's all you can tank.

Using dupes and golems and such do cut the experience, but I remember distinctly on Zitthirax ranking when I was around 42-45 in the tainted valley on footmen with two dupes and still getting 40-50xp a pop. I'm just saying, Illus and Necros have the dps to kill the higher leveled mobs. Side note, illusionists can solo just about anything that moves. Especially if there's a door involved.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: