Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 4 days, 16 hours.

Low-levels class balance.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:58 am    Post subject: Low-levels class balance.

So the topic here is basically whether the game is balanced for low levels (think first about level 15, then 20, and especially 30) and what we can do to improve the balance there.

For example some of the standouts at 30 are shaman, dk, warrior, thief, berserker, ninja, any more? acid blast sucks now I guess.
Down at level 15 you basically only have to be a warrior or a ninja to have a big advantage, because of early dual wield / third attack type of crap, and their damage output being super-high if they have a multied set (because enhanced damage is so strong especially on giants that get 100%). Those skills could go up in levels without ruining their balance at level 30 which seems to be a lot better. It'd dick with the levelling but we can adjust mob hp and then all the underpriviliged classes catch up a bit so its better overall.
I would like to increase this figure up to all classes, maybe via skill arrangement, or just throwing out a easy to get affbreak item if that helps.

Let me know what is suffering.

Last edited by Davairus on Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:14 am; edited 1 time in total

0 0 0
Fireballer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:47 am    Post subject:

The issue is interesting because it not only differs by class, but by race of that class. i can't go in depth right now, though.

0 0 0
Erlwith

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 10:53 pm    Post subject:

Illusionists obviously suffer, probably due to terrible defenses/lowhp/access to limited dupes.

I think rangers at that lvl played right are fin.

Invokers need some help. Low hp and poor exchange of mana per damage spell vs players. Protective shell at low levels that randomly absorbs 20-100 dmg?

0 0 0
Fireballer

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 11:24 pm    Post subject:

I've been kicking this idea around on my own for since the last week or so, but essentially it runs along the lines of a total skill tree shakeup for classes.

For instance, what if we delayed third attack and made fourth attack the last skill for warriors to get, while making riposte and double grip much lower on the skill tree?

We lessen the damage, and increase the versatility of classes and the gameplay is a lot more interesting too. It seems like the game only really starts to get fun after classes get their unique skill/spell set.

we could lower the duplicate spell to rank 20, for instance, and that allows person 1 dupe, and 2 at 40, 3 at 50. it increases the pk potential where they suck, adds a level of interest and complexity, and also provides a minor buff to levelling solo.

It seems like a major rework for all this, however, and some classes may suffer. If I could time-machine back to 1998 though, I'd encourage this idea. in the case of the warrior, you'd see less DPS from them at low ranks, where they reign king, and this overgeared warriors are much less harmful, and more time for players to learn to use skills "skillfully". And the fights would be more interesting than lowbie flee murder spam.

There was a good log of a 19-20 level fire vs storm giant where they were going crazy with barrage and sideswipes and disarms, and it was simply amazing to read as opposed to flee/murder/flee/murder.

I think another aspect of this idea of increasing the wait time for extra attacks is that flee murders aren't obviously superior to disarm or shield or offhand disarm. Now they become more useful because fights last longer and it becomes more about reducing enemy damage or defenses.

0 0 0
Vertas

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 5:11 am    Post subject:

Well I feel like now there's not as much of a reason to stay a low level, it used to be in cabals especially that you got inducted at 35 or whatever and then had to accomplish something before being allowed to rank, or were only allowed to rank to 40 or whatever and then had to sit. Now the incentive is to just get to 50 as quick as possible.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

0 0 0
Erlwith

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 8:37 pm    Post subject:

The game is just structured in a way that rewards you for being lvl 50 and seems to punish you otherwise.

Skills, gold and items all come easier at 50. PvP is more balanced, or at least more forgiving at 50. RP is easier at 50 since you can focus on RPing the way you want and not about if xyz will like you enough to group with you or if you kill abc will they not one to group with you on their alt?? People also play better at 50. I'd much rather go gear hunting with 50s that know the game vs stubborn level 10s that are ready to spend an hour getting to/dying to/waiting for black-tear instead of just waiting for an appropriate level. The list goes on, the respect comes at 50, all the fun cabal stuff happens at 50, all the exciting areas are at 50. I don't see what reason people would have for not just racing to 50.

Edit: I have some suggestions but not in a place to really work them out right now.

0 0 0
Hrimoyan
Immortal

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 4:08 pm    Post subject:

Erlwith wrote:
The game is just structured in a way that rewards you for being lvl 50 and seems to punish you otherwise.

The list goes on, the respect comes at 50, all the fun cabal stuff happens at 50, all the exciting areas are at 50. I don't see what reason people would have for not just racing to 50.

Edit: I have some suggestions but not in a place to really work them out right now.

It's def always been a top down approach (Imms and elites) as far as the idea that you should just wait til 50 to really care about balance. There's plenty that affect it, pk ranges, cost efficiency for skills, and so on.

Thought on mages: I always found it funny that casters all follow the same high cost to low cost as you level up for stronger and stronger skills. Lvl 50 hellstream is stronger than lvl 35, but costs less to cast at 50. As you level up you have a larger mana pool, since it's but so large there's a scaleback in spell cost also. I think you could shift the balance of them drastically but just maintaining the spell cost throughout the levels. You can play with the original cost numbers, but essential spells end up costing more (as they likely should). Maybe scale the cost of the spell with the proficiency of the spell skill.

All that said, you can't really balance lower level pk until you're ready to also switch up how things at 50 currently work.

0 0 0
Fireballer

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 12:24 am    Post subject:

Hrimoyan wrote:
Erlwith wrote:

The list goes on, the respect comes at 50, all the fun cabal stuff happens at 50, all the exciting areas are at 50. I don't see what reason people would have for not just racing to 50.

It's def always been a top down approach (Imms and elites) as far as the idea that you should just wait til 50 to really care about balance. There's plenty that affect it, pk ranges, cost efficiency for skills, and so on.

Thought on mages: I always found it funny that casters all follow the same high cost to low cost as you level up for stronger and stronger skills. Lvl 50 hellstream is stronger than lvl 35, but costs less to cast at 50. As you level up you have a larger mana pool, since it's but so large there's a scaleback in spell cost also. I think you could shift the balance of them drastically but just maintaining the spell cost throughout the levels. You can play with the original cost numbers, but essential spells end up costing more (as they likely should). Maybe scale the cost of the spell with the proficiency of the spell skill.

All that said, you can't really balance lower level pk until you're ready to also switch up how things at 50 currently work.

thats not really true. If you change the order of skill or spell gains, but the class as a whole isn't changed (e.g. loss of a skill/spell), then do don't change 50 at all, while dramatically altering low levels.

I've personally been annoyed at how the spells work. I don't know if they reflect the same or similar cost/level as the original 30 max game this was built from, but, while the idea is that your spells do more so they should be more costly to maintain as you start out, and then become easier for you to cast as you level, most spells don't really do more, and spells that matter do more as you rank up, meaning a doubly increased efficiency, in a manner of speaking.

It'd be nice to rescale the costs and sometimes even the hitting power (noone picks magic missile or chill touch, we shouldn't have worthless powers that bone newbies for practicing them via practice/train conversion count lowered).

I find it difficult to understand why so many spells have been tweaked or completely changed, and continue to receive modification to make the thing more useable or less overpowered, while these longtime standouts of useless spells continue to exist in their original form.

0 0 0
Smotpoker

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 2:54 am    Post subject:

because killing someone with a magic missile is like saying you suck while tea-bagging them

0 0 0
Dispater

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 6:45 am    Post subject:

lowlevel pk is shitsuck anyway, because you don't get any xp and that's fakken tarded.

0 0 0
Esivole
Immortal

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 12:20 pm    Post subject:

First way to balance low levels. Get rid of rares affecting luck. Though I understand you don't want ass hats hoarding shit at 30 and attempting to rape with it. What you don't want is some one with huge exp gap fighting someone 5 ranks above him and can't even use some decent eq to help balance it. lets say a rank 30 and a rank 35. The rank 30 already has a huge disadvantage by rank, but now is also gimped even more by not being able to use some equipment by fear of having calamitous or rock bottom luck. Both of those are easy to get by having 3 to 4 rares above your rank. even a rank 34 vs a 35 has a huge equipment disadvantage. then imagine a rank 34 vs a 40. The higher rank in each scenario has such greater options for equipment without luck getting screwed. Happened on caidolese a lot coming up and it was annoying. So if a rank 30 wants to get a thick belt wrought with blue stones, double plated arm guards, thin bladed axe, etc... he can't without getting screwed on luck.

By ridding the game of this non role playing aspect of luck affecting things, you don't have a fight weighing in the higher rank in two ways all of the time. You now have people who can spend gold (opening the markets more creating a better economy) and both sides can get rares without luck affects instead of just the higher rank. The current set up is another reason people will ooc power rank their chars when they can so you don't have to deal with a Very up hill battle.

0 0 0
Fireballer

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 12:52 pm    Post subject:

http://ar.invokation.net/logs/view.php?id=4966

This is a particular stellar example of how "fair" rank advantage is. Guild issue warrior fighting without sanctuary.

If we have given classes huge buffs and even bigger nerfs, haven't we equalized their powers so as to finally do away with or lessen the experience cost rates?

Quote:
Because the PK RANGE is affected by the relative experience points each player has, a large exp cost effectively pits you against players with extra levels on you. This is a natural way of keeping the numbers down of stronger races and classes, and giving them a longer and more perilous road to level 50 in return for the extra ability that they have there.

hybrids got their nuts cut off by losing dodge and trance and all that jazz. Yes they were overpowered, which is why they had a huge cost. They're not so overpowered anymore, so why still the cost?

What's more to the point, as rank plays an obviously major role in how well one person can fight another, it leads to confounding variables in an attempt at balance, by way of the in game luck factor, the actual mechanical luck of RNG (affected by the previous luck in some ways), weapons and armor, skill trained percentages, and then to throw a big stick of unreliability on top, rank difference.

We don't see giants going around killing everyone and staying on top for weeks anymore, so it's fair to say they're more or less balanced out at high levels with all the changes. There's plenty of combos that have mediocre or even poor success, and I can't seriously believe its due to people "not knowing what they're doing".

And I have to agree with deadzero. I think a lot of the "uberness" of hybrids prechanges could be also attributed to pimp suit hoarders at low ranks, with some reliable 50 buddies to pass stuff down to them. We're currently in the reverse situation when it comes to armaments, because with all the gear restrictions, its a sure bet that people below a suit rank will be in dramatically less effective gear. For instance, take a level 23 and a level 25. If they're fighting each other, one can be wearing red dragon, for a significant boost, and the other can be wearing black-tear. gear is important, as much as skill. equality of level is important, as much as gear, and because gear many times depends on a specific reached level.

One of the problems is that gangbangs are discouraged. If it was fine for weaker players to gangbang at any ranks, apart from cabals, the hoarding 30 issue would've been dealt with by real IC actions of people banding together. The problem is people want the players heads for characters ever found to gangbang, and its a symptom of people thinking they deserve fights stacked in their odds, rather than against them. You stack your odds in game by playing better, having better gear that your enemy could also have, or simply having a second person to help support you in the case of a gear disadvantage or any other kind.

The problem is that any gangbangs for "outsiders", that is, people not with the in-crowd, will rapidly draw scorn and hate and everyone of them will have their friends and mothers ganking them until they delete. gangbangs are seen as poor player etiquette, when its perfectly viable in many senses. I used to get gangbanged a lot as a beast ranger back in '04. but back then getting back into a full suit was faster too..

With the penalties of "good gear", or sometimes just plain not being able to wear it, it gimps the good players who are going for cabals, and forces them to fight people above them in subpar equipment and rack up deaths and pity instead of kills and fear.

Dispater wrote:
lowlevel pk is shitsuck anyway, because you don't get any xp and that's fakken tarded.

I think a good mission statement for the game would be "We want ALL pk to last at least X rounds (7 or Cool, at all levels of the game, between all races and classes, provided two people are fighting each other competently", or something to that effect. More rounds = more time for skill and good decision making to pay off, less rounds = more spray and pray.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: