Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 5 days, 1 hour.

Modification to luck attribute

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:17 pm    Post subject: Modification to luck attribute

Following changes will come into being sometime tonight or perhaps by tomorrow.

1. Luck has had a problem of normalizing shortly after equipping luck items or wearing luck spells. That is, because it naturally fluctuates, wearing items leads to fluctation that ends up with luck being back to normal fairly shortly. (In other words: Hex's long duration was just a gag all along. It didnt work for very long. And -luck on eq was a joke, trinkets of lady luck were b.s.. good tidings was only good for a short while. Really! But now those things will actually modify luck. And believe me, it is really going to hurt/help.)

2. To deal with auction house/multi/whatever, any carried rares and uniques will lower your luck if you're lower than their level. Think of that as having had your fair share of the luck already. I think this is more reasonable than just throwing a level restriction on them, because it is something that is a minor penalty for just one or two rares, but becomes a giant penalty for decked out lowbie. Effect will be multiplied for rare weapons sitting in inventory also.

I won't disclose exactly what luck does in the interests of fun, but I recommend worrying about it because it touches a lot of places.

0 0 0
Vertas

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:30 am    Post subject:

I can't believe how pissed off I used to get whenever Ronus hexed me... Only to find out it did next to nothing... Nice catch Dav.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

0 0 0
Eloret
Immortal

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:04 pm    Post subject:

I am seeing a lot of Rock Bottom luck. My char doesn't have that much eq higher than him either...

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:51 pm    Post subject:

drop it and check. maybe working as intended though..

0 0 0
Eloret
Immortal

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:03 am    Post subject:

will do next time i am able, and i'll report how i make out.

0 0 0
Vertas

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:23 pm    Post subject:

It worked for me. I was down on my luck and then I took off and dropped a high level item and my luck went up immediately.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:33 am    Post subject:

Of course it'll depend where its a rare or unique, or a weapon or non-weapon. A unique weapon that's higher than your level will tank you real hard This doesnt apply to other non-rare/unique items.

0 0 0
Xenyar
Emissary

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:28 pm    Post subject:

Overall, I am really not a fan of how luck is affecting rares. I just find that there are too many circumstances that bring out the negative side of it.

For example... Rank 34 warrior vs rank 35 warrior. They have identical equipment that they both easily gained alone. Colassal voulge, thin-bladed axe, pirate eye patch, and some double plated arm guards. (all that equipment is rank 35). If the warriors fight, the rank 34 begins with a marginal luck disadvantage.

On another note. You can have a rank 20 char with a couple spiked collars, a couple onyx bracelets, black laminated armor and a rod of neutrality(all level 20 items).. and not have have his luck affected by the rares at all.

Or what if you forge a bunch of 50 ore equipment for yourself? You put
the time in to get the ore, forge the items successfully, and your luck gets penalized because you are not rank fifty yet?

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:08 pm    Post subject:

The benefits of low level rares are often just lack of stat penalties, which you can't really take advantage of without getting more rares, or spending time gambling stuff. ...........

Well except for rod of neutrality... it has the stats of a level 50 item. That's something that ideally we would want to fix. I don't think you guys would like it if we nerfed it though, but its true.. its much too powerful. It might be nice as some sort of really useful item for completing treant thews instead, although then nobody would care.

I alike having a few (not LOTS) of decent low level rares to look for, because this is a game that is played at levels other than 50. But that is a pretty bullshit item to have on a level 20 in my opinion. The other ones you mentioned for level 20 chars..well yeah..that is intended. Hopefully the mithril vest is not OP on a level 20.

Spiked collar I don't really agree, because the -hp on that item makes it much more of a liability in low levels, its not that worth it. Another thing to keep in mind is that an item like that is probably replacing a teeth necklace, which is not a bright thing to do in low ranks, where thac0 is a big deal. And even if it was mathematically superior (I'm not going to try the math offhand, because I'm fairly sure its not, other than in some special cases like dirt kicked mage), it means you can replace..what? A pale blue stone? A bear-skin cloak? Not a lot more power you can squeeze out of the item. That is also true with onyx bracelets, which could replace living wood wrist guards but you'd probably end up keeping your poncho for lack of anything else worth using.

Forged gear is not affected by -luck unless you used rare gem, which are the same as any other rare in terms of level accessibility.. have to kill Vlad for one and things liket hat.

0 0 0
Xenyar
Emissary

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:11 am    Post subject:

So what about the example of the rank 34 warrior and rank 35 warrior? That is definitely a case where luck affecting rare items is completely unnecessary for the rank 34.

As I'm sure you know, you can easily forge 50 ore items with rare gems much lower than rank 50.
Say a rank 38 forges a whole suit of 50 ore, rare gem items? Does that rank 38 who invested a handful of hours and earned that equipment, really deserve for those 5 items to drain his luck? Absolutely not.

Dav, I understand that you are trying to fix some of the low levels being decked/lowbies buying crazy rares and all that...and we all can appreciate that. I just think this luck/rare stuff isn't the solution.

How about you cant bid on any rare items until rank 20. Between rank 20-39 you can bid on rares that are no more than 10 levels above your current level. Once you reach 40 you can then bid on any level rare.
Doing that would require going through all the unique/rare stuff and changing the levels on then accordingly.
As far as looting goes(so lowbies cant vulture the higher levels) Confine looting to the length of your group range. 8 ranks above and below you. Anything outside that range, the char can not loot.. Those limitations would be disregarded if the kill was on Cabal path/grounds.
Just a thought.....

0 0 0
Esivole
Immortal

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:03 am    Post subject:

the issue with the auction house thing, Xenyar, is this...

bill auctions 1337 sword for 10,000 gold for 10 min.

tell bill "I'll buy it now for 12k."

the non auction auctioning. I see where your going though.

0 0 0
Xenyar
Emissary

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:26 am    Post subject:

yes, the items can still be sold/bought without the auction system. There is atleast a chance that the seller will just deny the sell the lowbie purchaser, just for the fact they are such low level. There would be some that would deny sell, and some that would go ahead and make the sell. But, with the auction level purchase limitations I mentioned above, and the chance the seller denies the outside of auction sell to lowbies, it will help decrease the
amount of lower ranks loading up on rares.
Then again, the cabal groups were the ones really flooding the market with tons of rares, which isn't happening much at all right now.

0 0 0
Esivole
Immortal

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:32 am    Post subject:

so basically, we just need people to be decent, and I agree. well said.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:33 am    Post subject:

We've tried having rules, and they havent worked, that's why we are trying a more heavy-handed solution now. Level 34 vs level 35 warrior? I think you got bigger problems to worry about there than the -luck on some item. Like for instance, the fact he is a level higher than you will screw over your combat skills while buffing his.

0 0 0
Fireballer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:28 pm    Post subject:

Vertas wrote:
I can't believe how pissed off I used to get whenever Ronus hexed me... Only to find out it did next to nothing... Nice catch Dav.

so much wasted time casting hex thinking it was the ultimate screw you spell. sigh.

0 0 0
Fireballer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:30 pm    Post subject:

Davairus wrote:
We've tried having rules, and they havent worked, that's why we are trying a more heavy-handed solution now. Level 34 vs level 35 warrior? I think you got bigger problems to worry about there than the -luck on some item. Like for instance, the fact he is a level higher than you will screw over your combat skills while buffing his.

and god forbid you're an 750-800 XP Penalty+ character.

0 0 0
Olyn
Immortal

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Modification to luck attribute

Davairus wrote:
2. To deal with auction house/multi/whatever, any carried rares and uniques will lower your luck if you're lower than their level. Think of that as having had your fair share of the luck already. I think this is more reasonable than just throwing a level restriction on them, because it is something that is a minor penalty for just one or two rares, but becomes a giant penalty for decked out lowbie. Effect will be multiplied for rare weapons sitting in inventory also.

This part of the luck change has been reverted.

0 0 0
Ergorion

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:27 am    Post subject:

What if there were some acceptable range of item level.

So instead of being 49 and having those level 50 items make your luck shit. Your luck would turn only if the difference in item level and your level were greater than, say, 15. This would help deal with those pesky vultures we all hate but also allow players to gain pretty good items from pk as early as level 35.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Updates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: