Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 6 days, 8 hours.

Ranger Pets

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flom

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 9:56 pm    Post subject: Ranger Pets

Any summonable pet that retains the same rank as the caster/ranger ought not hit like a mob does. I.e. A ranger with 5 ranks on a pk target shouldn't have pets whose attacks are unblockable because of the disadvantage. Same goes for a necromancer's golems. Zombies should keep their power because of the difficulty of obtaining them.

Just noticed this while battling someone. They did next to 0 damage while their pets worked me over pretty well and I had to retreat.

0 0 0
Vanisse
Immortal

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 10:07 pm    Post subject:

flom wrote:
Any summonable pet that retains the same rank as the caster/ranger ought not hit like a mob does.

What do you think they are supposed to hit like? I am confused.

Here are two potential questions I think you're trying to suggest.
a) Would it make sense to call ranger pets that exist at a fixed rank, for example falcon 25, boar 30, wolf 35, etc.?
b) Would it make sense to reduce ranger pet damage by a fixed percentage, similar to necro skeletons/zombies, except instead of off the zombie's base mob it is reduced from the ranger's level?

Anyone experienced with rangers want to chip in? I have the impression people think rangers are a buff class, but I'm not sure how much of that is due to the pets vs. other class attributes.

0 0 0
Ozaru

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 10:33 pm    Post subject:

a lvl 30 ranger is going to destroy a lvl 30 illusionist necro so on

get to 50, things are a bit different . There is a reason why mages have high escapes, protective shield word sanc fly and so on.

0 0 0
Ergorion

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 1:15 am    Post subject:

I think Vanisse's idea of having ranger pets have a set level is a good one. Rangers have a ton of warrior tools at their disposal and I do think the pets make them a bit buff.

0 0 0
flom

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 1:55 am    Post subject:

what i'm talking about is the hit chance & block percentages. I think they're treated like mobs, which get better treatment (they hit way more) than players do. You can block every attack from an enemy player and get rooked by higher ranked pets.

0 0 0
Arishel

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 2:32 am    Post subject:

I always thought that the tame skill should replace Beast Call. Tame creatures from the wild, much like an illusionist gains dupes, necromancer gets zombies. Tame should work like that in my opinion. The tame could last for a certain amount of time, but then the animal would become feral again after a certain amount of time.

The argument to this would be from some, but what about berserkers rage? Tame is the one thing a ranger will always have advantage over a berserker, depending on who's playing both, of course. If tame is changed to the way above, then I guess the ranger has to fear the berserker like everyone else and just avoid him while raged.

That's just my 2 cents from reading the mention of rangers.

In reality it's just like charm person, except only useable on animals.

0 0 0
Stephen2_Aust

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 9:34 am    Post subject:

Am quite sure Dav recently said that ranger pets don't get level diff to-hit bonuses as players do.

0 0 0
flom

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 12:29 pm    Post subject:

He might've. I don't keep up with every post across the boards.. my understanding was that mobs of all kinds (charmed, zombies, npcs, etc.) all get hit and block chances based on their ranks. Players get no such bonus but instead play with the block chances of the mobs and other players based on their stats, ac, etc.

0 0 0
Andrael

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 2:08 pm    Post subject:

just be careful those pesky bards... your little critters will be eating you for din din if you try something funny with them and they are high enough.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 5:47 am    Post subject:

Its okay, I was wrong about the mob level in defences thing.

Yes, I believe ranger pets used to be kept a lower level, for example a bear would be 40, a panther 35 and those were fixed. I am not sure if or when they became the same level as the ranger, but that's a considerable upgrade.

Rangers are a tough nut, they have basically dirt+herb, lots of damage, but on the other hand, no lag skills. That obviously depends on whether we call dirt a lag skill. If we do then maybe we are talking about dirt and not ranger pets, because those pets would hit a lot more vs a dirted target.

0 0 0
Erlwith

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 1:25 pm    Post subject:

idk. at higher levels killing people of lower levels is supposed to be easy if you're a ranger with lvl 50 pets or not. maybe i didn't read the complaint closely enough

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: