Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 5 days, 10 hours.

Stone Giants: Why aren't there any?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stiehl26

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:26 pm    Post subject:

Mahkan wrote:
yeah.
i dont get why you wanna change stuff so badly.

I don't understand why people are so resistant to change.

0 0 0
Olyn
Immortal

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:38 pm    Post subject:

Stiehl, the limitations on stone giants is a result of the changing times, not a relic of them. Also, there's no need to adjust xp penalties because of player trends. If you're any good just make a stone giant, level to 50, and declare yourself the King of the arena. If you actually win your fights there will be five new stone giants within a week.

0 0 0
Erlwith

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:00 pm    Post subject:

Stiehl26 wrote:
Mahkan wrote:
yeah.
i dont get why you wanna change stuff so badly.

I don't understand why people are so resistant to change.

Because it's a bad change. You're under the impression that any suggestion you make is a worthwhile one, and anyone who disagrees is resistant to change and/or can't see the validity in your suggestion, or anyone who shoots your idea down is an asshole who brings nothing to the game or the forums. You need to stop and realize that the people coding the game know more about it and what will make it better than you most likely *ever* will. That's why they're called suggestions, because it is your idea of what is good, not fact of what is good. When you make a suggestion you should be ready for people to shoot it down for all its flaws and maybe even flame you. This isn't exclusive to AR, this is anywhere on the net or life.

Your problem isn't that you should "...stop making suggestions or trying to draw out some progressive thinking about the mud." Your problem is that your progressive thinking is not at all in line with the direction of the MUD. Your ideas aren't "bad," but they're bad for AR. So come up with ideas better in line with the theme/idea of the MUD or grow a thicker skin so when the current string of your ideas gets blasted you aren't crying for a month. And have you thought about the further ramifications of your idea? Not only will stone giants be easier to rank, but also get a much much more favorable PK range without losing any powers or lethality. Once you get raped by a stone giant 7 ranks above you you'll be crying they're too powerful.

Things can be difficult in AR, and suggestions that make things easier without any sort of logic behind it other than "no one plays this" or "its too hard" aren't at all the type of changes the imps are looking for as far as I can tell. Furthermore, accusing people of being angry/trolls/close minded because they don't agree with you is only going to garner hostility towards the next dumb idea you suggest.

Basically, stop suggesting changes that make things easier, or might make things easier for you down the line. Suggest things that make the game better.

0 0 0
_Clifton_
Emissary

Location: your and you're are not the same. they're, there, and their are not the same. learn to english.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:15 pm    Post subject:

Stiehl26 wrote:
I tend to play the same 2 or 3 races.

That's kinda your own fault ain't it?

0 0 0
Stiehl26

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:52 pm    Post subject:

_Clifton_ wrote:
Stiehl26 wrote:
I tend to play the same 2 or 3 races.

That's kinda your own fault ain't it?

I just like those races...they happen to be the ones that work best for me...wtf you mean...my fault?

0 0 0
Stiehl26

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:04 pm    Post subject:

Alright, I won't post any more after this...it would be too much like beating a dead horse. My whole observation came from looking at the "Players" tab on the abandonedrealms.com website. I noticed (and had previously about gnomes and illithids) that for some reason, those classes are not being played...or played very often. I state again, I do not want to play a gnome, illithid, or stone giant...why do that when I can play the, what I would consider overpowered, duergars. So, my observation lead me to post on here to see if these were things that people had been thinking, and were frankly, just too lazy to type it up. So then I laid out, what I thought was an unbiased delve into those races and how, or if those races could be changed. I like the mud a lot. I find that, for the most part, the pk system works well. I am not a fan of weapon ward or hobble, but thats a topic that will go "unobserved" by me. Blahblah...I'll end my rants and my, for what seems to be maddening to most of you, ideas. It is just frustrating to see that with very little effort we could be utilizing 100% of the races and with slight tweaking bring a much greater diversity, and therefore perhaps more players, to the mud. Good times.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:26 am    Post subject:

Diversity doesnt mean every combo is played in the same frequency. Its a proven fact in MMO's for a start, that people tend towards picking the pretty races. or the "brainy" ones - look at the demand for mystics because of that, and how often people bug for psionicist return despite it being a terrible hack-job boring class. "I want to impress people with my big brain." . People are really doing that for appearances, it has little else to offer except chores and a nice avatar to mudsex with. . Same with people picking characters that have cabal options open to them. Do they join those cabals? No. All they wanted is opportunity. You can see how deeply stone giants run against the psychology of the typical dimwit.. So the next thing you say is give it more powers, so the kiddies want to play it for the pwnage. Nothing good will come from doing that.

0 0 0
Slade
Emissary

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:49 am    Post subject:

Cabals either don't, or shouldn't affect race balance. Instead you get race balance in order and then figure out what each cabal should have access to from that. Therefore races have strengths and weaknesses balanced on their own merit and exp penalty. Cabals don't factor in because while they can add greater strengths on top of that, they also add on as much if not more downsides and responsibility that frankly can often be a bad deal. Races are thrown in or excluded based on the needs and balance of the cabal, rather than the other way around.

If you are not a veteran, worry less about such races anyway. Pick mostly human or duergar, and maybe half-elf, gnome, dwarf, slith, halfling, or werebeast depending on class and boredom with the first two.

P.S. Psi is sexy but a lot of the lure is the idea of a mage/cleric hybrid, a unique and fun sounding playstyle I think I would do well with.

0 0 0
Kalist19
Emissary

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:33 pm    Post subject:

Davairus wrote:
Diversity doesnt mean every combo is played in the same frequency.

I believe diversity was an old, old wooden ship used in the civil war era...

0 0 0
Kedaleam
Immortal

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:10 am    Post subject:

Stone Giants rule...

0 0 0
Ceridwel
Immortal

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:25 am    Post subject:

So I wonder who on this thread is playing the new Stoner Mookie or Moogie or whatever his name is.

0 0 0
Erlwith

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:29 am    Post subject:

his name rhymes with picpen.

0 0 0
Thorgoth
Immortal

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:08 pm    Post subject:

busted

0 0 0
Oxyl

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 4:23 pm    Post subject:

I'm trying at a stone giant right now and am finding it lots of fun to play. Specifically, neutral alignment means I get to group with anyone. However, I'm finding that getting adequately equipped is tough, at least if I try it solo.

Lightwalkers get Request. That's cake.
Evils can kill anyone they want to take they're gear. Cake.
About the best I can do as a neutral by myself is TT.

So is the point for neutrals to have to group up to go on gear runs?

0 0 0
Vanisse
Immortal

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 4:25 pm    Post subject:

maybe. but isn't that one of the benefits of neutrals anyway? you can group with everybody.

0 0 0
Xenyar
Emissary

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 5:33 pm    Post subject:

Oxyl, you can actually gain quite a bit of nice equipment by yourself as a neutral giant....alot of that may depend on your level.. rod of neutrality, bracelets from the tower, pirate eye patches, studded rings/silver spiders, banner of gasteride and the mace and sword from the guys that have the banner, The list can go on.... of course actually seeing most of those items in is a different story. You can always get ore and forge. If all else fails, gamble items.
Depending on how much time you want to invest into gaining an item, you can get even some top tier stuffourself.
I had a giant that solo'd Vlad several years ago before the changes to his summoning things. It took a shiiiiit load of time, but you can do it.
I remember Loort(fire warrior) would solo all sorts of crazy mobs.

0 0 0
Erlwith

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 5:36 pm    Post subject:

Oxyl wrote:
I'm trying at a stone giant right now and am finding it lots of fun to play. Specifically, neutral alignment means I get to group with anyone. However, I'm finding that getting adequately equipped is tough, at least if I try it solo.

Lightwalkers get Request. That's cake.
Evils can kill anyone they want to take they're gear. Cake.
About the best I can do as a neutral by myself is TT.

So is the point for neutrals to have to group up to go on gear runs?

it might be your level maybe? treant thews is pretty badass you know, and you can solo pretty well pre-50 with the right combo of purple,and monster pots. i never had an issue with my neutrals, and as vanisse pointed out, you can group with absolutely anyone for gear. you also get a nice selection of gambled items. so all together, neutrals have it the easiest getting gear - mostly because unlike light/evil they can wear almost anything.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: