Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 5 days, 19 hours.

just a newbie with some ideas

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
freya

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:33 pm    Post subject: just a newbie with some ideas

i am a new player! I have a level 35 thief, and a level 15 dark knight. both wildly evil because I will be honest, I searched this mud out like a bloodhound does a criminal as I was on a supreme hunt for the best pk mud. I really like this mud, and I'll tell you why in a month or so (consider this meannnn foreshadowing), but there are some things that I think will make things smoother and more fun to play!

Starting with the class I have the most experience in, the Thief.

Backstab/dual-backstab does not allow you to target players/mobs under 90% of their health.

I suggest remove the health cap on backstab/dual-backstab from only being able to roll a stab on a person at 90% health or higher.

I suggest in it's place we add a timer that would be around 2.5 seconds long and make backstab landing % dependent on the skill HIDE sucessfully working.

this timer would start while the other player you're trying to stab is in the room. If they are are not fighting anyone/any mob at the time it rolls through it will then suceed/fail and do xxxx amount of damage, preferrably high damage but some daggers should stab much harder than others and to keep it interesting other daggers should have a range from low hp stabs to super high, etc.

that would look like the following:

You attempt to hide yourself. (hide command)

[backstab h.human] (backstab command)
You silently approach your victim...

+
*Chrysania* leaves north riding a black stallion.

-
*Chrysania* has arrived from the north, riding a black stallion.

*Chrysania* makes a strange sound as you place a sharp, red stone dagger in her back!
*Chrysania* is dead! R.I.P.
You feel the Weave of the Wheel tighten around you.
Your first time! Was it good for you too?
Your blood freezes as you hear *Chrysania*'s death cry.

the girl above us died, because she was probably around 50% health and then ate a stab. The reason why I'm suggesting stab be changed this way is it makes it a very very skilled task to accomplish. Stabbing mobs are easy but, players are difficult because they're more intelligent (usually) and move frequently. The timer also gives them 2.5 seconds to wriggle out from under them but, it makes it sporting for the thief as well.

Why I am suggesting this is a thief might approach a fire giant, someone who would normally beat him to shreds, but if he enters the zone and uses SNEAK, HIDES (so no one can see him in the zone), then skulks around hidden from room to room unnoticed, and finds a fire giant player at half health, rolls a dual backstab on this person for carelessly not having detect hiddens and other spells/skills on to prevent this, then he will eat a stab and maybe die. Stabbing someone is one of the most rewarding things ever to get off on another player and few will figure out how to be good at it.

I don't like instantaeous backstabbing though if I have to hit someone with 90% or higher and not in combat. Might as well give me the opportunity to find them not in combat and kill them with it while giving the other player a sporting chance and making it competitive and highly skill based for me the thief.

other skills like charge should be able to counter stab. as it should still be shorter and instant.

open for discussion. I will answer questions as you ask them and provide other suggestions as you see fit.

-----

the newbie situation, is not so bad. I really enjoy the fact that someone took the time to draw a map/mini map for us to use as it's very helpful and the maps you can buy in the store although some out dated are very nice. I personally tried mapping alot of areas with zmud and failed miserably outside of seringale due to loop rooms and other things i couldn't figure out (including my zmapper).

I think that the hardest aspect of the game is finding areas you're supposed to go to hunt.

I know the "Area" command is great and you can look at the map, but it's still confusing to get there, because you never know your orientation on the map if you've overshot the emerald forest or not for example.

Also when you get there, considering mobs isn't accurate. I can lay into a couple of mobs that I'm not supposed to touch and beat them, although close sometimes I enjoy a landslide victory.

this is confusing Razz

--

I think more cities need more clans that do different things. I think there should be a clan for just people to role play bandits and maraud and steal together accordingly, maybe in a shadier city.

I think there should be more clans in general to promote some PK differences meaning some clans are built to combat other clans and there should be a justice clan for every major zone(s) or city

i.e. seringale should have it's own militia with a clan base, a chest to put gear in, and be able to role play for quest points/or kill players for quest points, with special equipment available to be traded in for using your quest points, or a remort to that specific clan's class

i.e. lets say you kill 500 players and it's recorded through the system then you get a quest to go on, and if you complete that quest you get the opportunity to be remorted into a "captain of the city guard" and they might have a bonus skill of "mob call" like they could cast or use this skill and guards in that city will assist them in whatever they fight as long as they're in the city and stuff like that. Just things that make it interesting and fun.

I like the game alot so far. just some ideas to keep it fresh.

0 0 0
freya

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:22 pm    Post subject: addendum

i found a sewer with a red dragon that killed me so i couldn't get my gear back.. and a ford....

trying to get the emerald forest... why is this so hard for a competant mudder?

god forbid someone started out playing a mud for the first time and tried to make a run for this forest haha.

0 0 0
Olyn
Immortal

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:27 pm    Post subject:

Why couldn't you get your gear back?

Emerald forest is something like 6 rooms from Seringale. Go out the south gate and go south maybe 3 times, then go west, south, west.

0 0 0
tayyah

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:36 pm    Post subject:

I love the fact that your putting this much effort into idea's. The backstab I dont think can be changed though, due to the fact that at 50, landing a back/dual back on say a unsanc'd vuln target, can almost 1 shot to 1 shot depending on your dam, its rediculous damage, ninja's are the only class that has an instant death skill (cant remember if power word even exists still) called assassinate, and it has a 100% health requirement on the target, and a % chance of instant kill, its low, but still there. As far as "clans" theres quite a few cabals, help cabal for more information, each major city has one associated with it, valour-knights, seringale-justice, timeran-keepers, darkhaven-legion, with two sub cabals being mystics and heralds, which now can be personally appointed to any of the cabals by their respected leaders. and warriors and paladins can also counter your backstab should you try to do it on one that is awake. Another small flaw in the timer is blackjack, not hard to keep someone in a room for 2-3 seconds, when you can knock them out for a minute. Keep up the thought process though, new players are a perfect perspective for idea's as they are unbiased

0 0 0
Dogran
Immortal

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:01 pm    Post subject:

You should of been able to go back to the room with the red dragon as a ghost to get your things back, otherwise waiting at your pit your things will return after a time, (its like ten minutes) Emerald is easy to find as Olyn pointed out. Seek out Anyone who has a tag by their name (IE herald, mystic, knight, justice, keeper, Legion) Ask one of them for help finding things most all of us like helping out new players in some way or other.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:19 am    Post subject:

Hey, so just to recap some of the things we've been over in game.

I noticed you mentioned the AREAS command, which was useful for highlighting the area you are in, I updated the WHERE command like so:

Code:

Players near you in Emerald Forest:
     Nyde                         Under Dark Woods
     Zedylbea                     A Fae Crossing
<PK> Davairus                     Under Dark Woods

I think I would disagree that it is hard to find areas to level in. In fact, I was under the impression that the help we have for navigating is abundant, if not so much that it makes it one of the strengths of the game. Maybe it is just a weakness of the medium? Its not like WOW, where you login to game and can visually see the wolves. But I think we do an ok job of getting information to you.

Some things we have:
- helpfiles, e.g. help newbie areas
- map command (I have actually thought of an even nicer way to implement this command in game, and I would say try it out in the academy next time you run a new character through that)
- minimap command
- website maps and zone info (for one example, see here: http://abandonedrealms.com/realms/areas/goblin_village.php)
- this thread in Newbie Q&A: http://abandonedrealms.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6609
- guild quests (which are unique to the class you rolled) that send you to these levelling areas, we will be adding more of those.
- a coterie called Mystics which is dedicated to helping newbies with this

These are all features which we have built over years. It seems there are a lot of resources there, so much that I can't really think of what else to add besides even more quests and even more maps.

In addition to that, the newbie areas to level in are just right next to Seringale anyway. You mentioned wandering into the red dragon - your corpse appears on the 'where' command, and as a "C" on the minimap command, and I believe you recuperate some of the exp loss from dying if you find your way back (I might be wrong about this last part).

Given we have all this information, I do feel concerned that we aren't properly delivering it. So I checked into it. Here is how I went about finding this help.

Code:

> help
Abandoned Realms Helpfile Index

1) Introduction                10) Geography
2) Basic Commands              11) Combat
3) Communication               12) Roleplaying
4) Your character              13) Quests
5) Items and NPCs              14) Immortal Rules
6) Races                       15) History
7) Classes                     16) Cabals
8) Skills and spells           17) Immortals
9) Hometowns                   18) Misc

* Type HELP <number> to see the index pages of each section.  To read
the files listed inside, type HELP <filename>.  If you are a newbie
please refer to HELP NEWBIE.  (Note: the <>'s are not necessary.)
* Type HELPSEARCH <word> to search for helpfiles containing that word.

Please help us to keep the helpfiles correct and relevant by posting
bugs using either the BUG command, or on the game forums.

Noticed now that HELP NEWBIE was a clickable link in zmud 7.21.

Code:

help HELP NEWBIE
BASIC COMMANDS          PURPOSE
n/e/s/w/u/d             movement
scan/map/mm/where       exploration commands
consider/kill/flee      attack commands
examine/compare         object commands
auto/color/prompt       configuration commands
recall                  travel to your hometown temple
prac                    a list of your abilities
equipment/inv           shows your belongings
outfit                  receive the starting items
score                   shows all of your characters statistics
affects                 shows skills/spells in effect on you

GETTING HELP
help <subject>          search for a specific solution
help newbie areas       list of recommended areas for new players
newbie <message>        contact other newbies with questions

The helpfiles are great.  The helpfiles said so.  Use them!

And there you can see it:

Code:

help newbie areas       list of recommended areas for new players

My advise to you is to look for the answers you seek in the helpfiles. It doesnt get thrown at you as you play the game, cuz we found that annoying.

Here is a video that does a decent job of explaining the design philosophy we follow, and its entertaining. I advise everybody to watch it. I'm serious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FpigqfcvlM

If there is something huge I have missed, let me know. But the game's not going to MEGAMAN you. (Like you walk into your guild, and the guildmaster goes and says "hey bud, level in emerald"). If you really want to ask for help, we want to give you it, but we want you type 'help' first, so we dont harass you with unwanted/annoying help. There are helpfiles for almost everything, e.g. "help emerald forest".

Clickable links is a recent addition which I would like to do more of, so maybe we can explore that a bit more. Say you type 'areas' and next time you see a list of clickable links, each one is a helpfile link for that area. I'm pretty fond of clickable links myself, especially as a way to learn the game interface. Its just not that worth investing in yet because we don't have a web browser client that supports it.

I understand why the consider command is doing that, and I will make some time to fix it.

I incorporated that backstab stuff into ninja assassinate, as we had been looking for a rework for that skill for some years now, and it fits the part there. I think changing backstab would be a vet-rager (returning vets would go nuts when they find out, because they perceive there's nothing wrong with it) but if it works out better on ninjas I'm ok with moving it onto thieves as well. Changing assassinate is also a vet-rager, but in that case I can argue its always been broken.

0 0 0
Erlwith

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:18 pm    Post subject:

I think thieves need more skills geared towards espionage, stealth, robbery and incapacitating enemies, not outright damage dealing.

0 0 0
Arishel

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:37 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
I think thieves need more skills geared towards espionage, stealth, robbery and incapacitating enemies, not outright damage dealing.

Agreed.

0 0 0
Olyn
Immortal

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:11 pm    Post subject:

Erlwith wrote:

The updates to the thief class will take the form of a comprehensive module, rather than the addition of a new skill here and there. Somewhere along the line, the players voted on which changes to implement first and we've been following that. It's my understanding that the afflictive module and religions will be completed before we move on to the rogue module. I don't think you'll be disappointed by what we have in store for thieves.

0 0 0
Erlwith

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:04 pm    Post subject:

I remember that vote, can't wait to see what is ahead

0 0 0
freya

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:27 pm    Post subject:

new changes to assassinate are great! but mobs auto aggro instantly so it negates your chances once you miss/land once.. Sad

0 0 0
Olyn
Immortal

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:24 pm    Post subject:

freya wrote:
new changes to assassinate are great! but mobs auto aggro instantly so it negates your chances once you miss/land once.. Sad

Mobs are still limited by what they can see. If the mob can't see hidden or invisible, use that to your advantage.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: